Menu

Buying Sonlight new or used?

I'm looking to buy a sl core and have been going back and forth on buying new or used. The benefit to buying used is obvious, less cost. But, if I buy new I get the 18 week guarantee. The core I'm looking at buying is a 2004 and I'm also concerned about being able to sell it next year when it is 5 years old. The savings in buying used will be about $100. So what says the hive? New or used?

I know $100 is not a small amount, but I would spend the extra and buy new. Though if this person bought the core new and all the books are with it, I might consider it.

Our first year I pulled together a core buying used to try and save some money. It didn't work out well because some people buy books at yard sales and then sell them because they are used in SL. I received a box of "Sonlight" books and they were horrible! They were very old versions and didn't line up with the schedule or they smelled or were very, very used, etc.

I decided then that I would just buy new because I knew everything would work together and I would have the guarantee. I, personally, would buy new, but if this is a complete core set it might be worth the savings. I am not sure about reselling. I don't think you would get as much reselling a reused core vs. a new one, but you might get enough from selling it to make the initial savings and the resell worth it. You might want to check the SL boards and see what people are looking for or selling to get a better idea on the resale value.

I have to agree with Deece. Ask for a picture before buying used! I have been doing this with big ticket items lately. If they are honest sellers they will happily email you a pic. This way you know for sure that you are getting a good deal.

I'm looking at doing both :D

I have a friend selling the core I want and most of the books. The rest I'm considering buying straight from SL since the amount will be enough to get me access to a year of the SL message boards. My savings will be around $140... worth it for me. I tend not to return items anyway.

Personally, I don't think it's worth all the time and trouble if you buy the Core piecemeal. I was able to get Core 3 complete from a seller on the Sonlight Buy/Sell Forum for $250 and the books are in excellent shape. I don't recommend Ebay because the Sonlight Cores seem to sell for close to the new price!

Good luck!

Sherri

The resale value of the Sonlight books and Cores are very good . YOu can easily sell it for almost what it is worth to be honest . The books pretty much stay the same . You may have to add one or two in every so many years .

I'm looking to buy a sl core and have been going back and forth on buying new or used. The benefit to buying used is obvious, less cost. But, if I buy new I get the 18 week guarantee. The core I'm looking at buying is a 2004 and I'm also concerned about being able to sell it next year when it is 5 years old. The savings in buying used will be about $100. So what says the hive? New or used?

If you can swing it, I would buy the first year used. That way you can return it if it doesn't work out, and you get a feel for the whole program. You also get access to the forums and to the new users group. Great benefits when you are new to it and can use the extra support.

Once you are sold on it then buy used, use the library, make it work for you. :D

Heather

I bought used this year, new last year(our first year with Sonlight). I was quite a bit more work to piece it together, but I save quite a bit too over $300 on everything I bought this year. That said, if you have the money I would buy new this year until you are sure that Sonlight is for you!

I would buy it NEW and not think twice about it especially if you have other kiddos to use it. I am going into my 7th year hsing and sad to say that I have bought used my entire hs career:o( Often, a book would be a different copyright thus not lining up page wise or in a condition that wasn't acceptable to me etc. I can be a bit anal but if you're not picky then used may work for you. I bought new last year (Core 3+4) and just purchased Core 5 new. I will always purchase new unless someone is virtually giving me a core. But, I have 3 more kiddos to go through these with along with myself when they are gone b/c I have no time to read now!

HTH,

Barb

I prefer buying SL cores new. You get the guarantee, the 10% discount and free shipping for the year. Their customer service and shipping times are excellent so you won't have to worry about not getting it in time for your new school year or items missing or damaged. Since I have three kids coming up behind my oldest, I know the cores will get reused too, which extends their value.

I have bought used 2 years in a row, and probably always will. I use Thriftbook, local used bookstores, etc to get the books and buy the IG used. This year I spent around $200 on Core 2 and Core 7. Pretty good, but it *does* take a lot of time to put together, so think about what your time is worth.

Also, we want to keep ALL the books, so no resale for us, so buying used makes the most sense.SL has a great resale value, but if want to keep it all (we do!) that doesn't matter!

I guess I kind of do both. We have a great online library system here, so I don't feel the need to own all the books. We have limited storage space here anyway which is another plus to me for using the library.

Every year I check the SL catalog against what's available at our library, then buy everything else directly from Sonlight, plus any spines or extra resources. It's always enough to maintain my forum membership but still saves me lots of $$$. I know this won't work for everyone, especially if you don't have a good library system, but for us, this has worked really well. :001_smile:

I've done both. I've had good experiences buying used materials in the past BUT I just recently purchased two core IGs and both of them ended up not being what I needed and wanted. I spent as much money on the two as if I'd just purchased new. I always ask very specific questions so the seller will know what I'm looking for, but it just didn't work out right this go around. Like someone else mentioned, I think it works out best if you can buy the full core, or close to it, from one person. That way, you are more likely to have the books that actually go with the IG.

I'm going to go ahead and buy a new IG along with a few books that I still need for this particular core. I'm just waiting until after tomorrow since they aren't open on the fourth.

What IG do you need?

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm leaning toward new just to be sure I get what I think I'm getting. kwim? I'm looking at the core 6 for my 7th grader. I'm wanting to do the 4 year rotation with WTM for highschool and thought doing cores 6 & 7 for 7th and 8th grade would get us where we want to be. Thanks again, everyone.

For your first try with Sonlight, buy new from them if you can afford it. There are many benefits that others have mentioned, and you can return it if it just doesn't work for you. After you have done SL for a core and know what you're getting into, then you would be in a better position to judge new/used for your needs.

Karen