Menu

My boys want a printer, but I don't want to go broke buying ink. Any ideas?

I'm looking for a printer that's cheap, that has CHEAP ink refills. They just want to be able to print out the pictures they make on paint and Kids Pic's and stuff. I would love to get them one, but I don't want to go broke getting ink refills.

Any suggestions?

Look for a printer that has cheap refills on amazon. I think the elcheapo version that I use are around $4 max a refill. and they usually work, I;ve had maybe 2 total cartridges that didn't work, and I've used over 20 refills so far.

Since you are looking for an inexpensive option, you might try Craigslist, but check availability of ink refills & cost before buying.

Mine is a fancy printer, canon pixima mp560.

I wanted:

duplex printer (front & back)

Individual ink tanks

wireless

copy/scan function

Love it!

Whatever you end up getting, there are much lower options for ink and toner than your local stores. Toner cartridges for my laser are over $80 for the manufacturer ones (more at Staples or other stores), under $30 (for compatible ones) where I order them. I can also get a full set of inkjet cartridges (black, yellow, magenta, cyan) for well under $20.

I order from Supermediastore.com and have never had a problem arise with anything I've ordered from them. I know others here have additional resources for ink and toner, too, so you can really shop around.

YES YES YES!!!! I'm so glad you asked. First of all, you want a printer that can accept a Continuous Ink Supply/System (CIS or CISS). Then, you just need a CIS to supply the ink and you are set. This what we do and I don't think I would be able to afford to homeschool without it. I print unlimited in color all the time- buy all digital resources and print them. I have an Epson R280 and have had it since 2008. We only recently replaced our original CIS. I will only buy Epson printers from now on (if this one ever dies). Research the CIS- we bought ours from ebay (I can PM the direct seller if you wish- we don't have any connection). It is bottles for each color attached to IV tubing which is attached to the actual cartridges in the printer. The cartridges pull the ink as it needs. I don't have to mess with the set up but once a year when I add bulk ink (easy and not messy) to the bottles holding the ink. The initial CIS was about 35- and that will supply ink for almost a year. The bulk bottles are about 25$ for a set of all the colors- about once a year. I wish I could shout it from the roof tops- it will save you so much money!

When you say "refill" do you mean refilling the cartridges yourself? Or just buying new cartridges for your machine? I find reusing the same cartridges and refilling them so cheap. I use Encore Ink and pay $28 for a bottle of black ink that will last me for more than a year. It's not hard and does not have to be messy.

YES YES YES!!!! I'm so glad you asked. First of all, you want a printer that can accept a Continuous Ink Supply/System (CIS or CISS). Then, you just need a CIS to supply the ink and you are set. This what we do and I don't think I would be able to afford to homeschool without it. I print unlimited in color all the time- buy all digital resources and print them. I have an Epson R280 and have had it since 2008. We only recently replaced our original CIS. I will only buy Epson printers from now on (if this one ever dies). Research the CIS- we bought ours from ebay (I can PM the direct seller if you wish- we don't have any connection). It is bottles for each color attached to IV tubing which is attached to the actual cartridges in the printer. The cartridges pull the ink as it needs. I don't have to mess with the set up but once a year when I add bulk ink (easy and not messy) to the bottles holding the ink. The initial CIS was about 35- and that will supply ink for almost a year. The bulk bottles are about 25$ for a set of all the colors- about once a year. I wish I could shout it from the roof tops- it will save you so much money!

Brilliant!! I knew I'd love these forums!

I'm looking to replace my printer and now have a good idea on where to start. Thank you!