Menu

Flower 'Dissection' Project

Here's a simple, fun summer project for your dc. We did this yesterday for a couple hours. Blog post here.:001_smile:

I got this idea from Satori Smiles.

ETA: Better tools would have been handy. Next time...

thanks for the inspiration. What "better tools" do you wish you had?

I have an animal dissection kit from my younger days ....

ETA: BTW, my son LOVES seeing other students doing things, esp other homeschoolers. Viva la internet!

Edited by kalanamak

I used to have a botany textbook. I think it might have been Apologia. I think it had a rose dissection. One of my tutoring students was a bit enamored with the book and overwhelmed with the BEAUUUUTY of the book and then the BEAUUUUTY of the rose she bought. Then I got a panicked phone-call about the noise the rose made when she cut into it.

I told her to PLEEEASE leave me alone and call our retired professor friend. The professor said it was crunchy because it was fresh.

The dissection was talked about for months, until I wanted to scream.

I can't seem to replace the botany text, or even think about plant dissection after that.

I used to have a botany textbook. I think it might have been Apologia. I think it had a rose dissection. One of my tutoring students was a bit enamored with the book and overwhelmed with the BEAUUUUTY of the book and then the BEAUUUUTY of the rose she bought. Then I got a panicked phone-call about the noise the rose made when she cut into it.

:lol:

We love dissecting flowers at our house!

We use a stereo microscope to look at all the bits and pieces magnified.

I have a large garden, so we are always digging up or cutting something to look at closer up.

If you want to further the botany lesson, you can also cut open roots and rhizomes, as long as you don't mind losing the plant. It is interesting to look at those cut in the opposite directions.

thanks for the inspiration. What "better tools" do you wish you had?

I have an animal dissection kit from my younger days ....

ETA: BTW, my son LOVES seeing other students doing things, esp other homeschoolers. Viva la internet!

I didn't feel like hunting around for my animal dissection tools. I should have. We had everything all over the kitchen and then ds asked if he could have a group of friends over last night so we had to clean up. I wanted to have more time. Never. Enough. Time.

My dds love to see other homeschoolers online also. They're currently celebrity-stalking Haven & Zoe of Education Unboxed. Lots of letters going back and forth between our houses. Very fun. :)

As a Botanist (BS) and Forester (MS), I would say that all you need to make exploring flower dissection (and observing super cool leaf structures too) a blast is a hand lens (like the type coin collectors use) and a pair of regular tweezers :) Kids really get into it as well!!!!

There are lots of questions they can figure out....

-inferior ovary vs superior ovary (think apple or squash where the flower is on top of the fruit vs. blueberry where it is on the bottom);

-is it a female, male or complete flower (both male & female part in the same flower)?

-number of sepals

-number of petals,

-based on what you see do you think it is wind pollinated or animal pollinated, etc.

These are all easy things for even very young kids to determine and race one another to figure out.

Edited by pineapplehorse