Menu

Pillow for 2yo that wants one?

I have a DD that turned 2 in April. She started climbing out of her crib so yesterday we turned her crib into a toddler bed. When she went to bed last night, she screamed until I gave her a pillow like her big sisters. I gave her the flattest pillow ever. I went in around midnight and she was sleeping on her tummy with her head turned to the side on the pillow. She had her head turned and seemed to be breathing fine. I snuck the pillow out from under her and put it away anyway. 2 hrs. later she woke up screaming for her pillow. She never wakes at night normally. So would you give her the pillow or no tonight or no? I think I'm overthinking this, but her 4 older siblings never wanted pillows until they were 4-5. Thanks for reading.

At 2, I would imagine any normal child would be able to move her own head if her mouth were blocked by a pillow. My 20-month-old uses one in his toddler bed. I just give him the flatter ones. I wouldn't give a little one a down pillow or anything really cushy like that.

Definitely don't do it if you're not comfortable with it; two is young IMO. That said, we let ds have a pillow shortly after he turned 3 (if I remember right). I chose a very firm decorative/throw pillow and put a pillow case on it. His face can't sink into it at all. He often scoots away from it at night --I don't think it's too comfortable, but he's got his pillow just like the older ones. :001_smile:

It would have never occurred to me to worry about a 2-yr-old using a pillow. Glad I never heard that when my kids were younger, lol! Babies, yes. Toddlers, no.

Honestly, if you stay away from a huge, fluffy monstrosity, I can't imagine you have anything to worry about with a typical child. They're about as mobile as they're going to get by 2, kwim?

I'd give her the flat pillow and not think twice about it.

My vote is, yes, you are over-thinking this. A child can have a pillow as soon as she has enough strength / coordination to move her head away from an obstruction - which is usually by 6mos. Have you ever heard of a child accidentally suffocating with a pillow after that age? I haven't.

I bought little pillows for my kids, but they were stiff. Then someone gave me the idea of keeping a couple of the pillows you get when you fly on a plane. That was perfect! I used them until the girls were 4 or 5 years old.

My kids started using pillows around that age. But really they don't *use* them. My 4 year old won't go to sleep without two pillows but half the time he's all scrunched down in the middle of the bed sleeping without one. My dd will be 2 next month and she snuggles up with a pillow. She's napping on one right now. But more often than not she ends up on the plain mattress at night too.

I think you're worried for nothing. But if you're really that worried just don't give her one unless it's going to cause bedtime battles.

Our 2 year old (and 5 year old as well) have regular pillows, but they actually usually use their pillow pets. They start out fluffy but after a lot of use get pretty flat. They also have the small size pillow pets that are more travel sized that they can use as well. We've never had issues, and my kids have asthma and have had frequent infections with coughing, wheezing, etc. No pillow problems here, even for DS who is a tummy sleeper also.

Really though, if it will make you uncomfortable don't do it. Mommy needs a good night of sleep!

Edited by Rubix
Spelling