Menu

Mesa Verde/Durango, CO/Grand Canyon without any time to plan

My husband's starting a new job in two weeks, so we want to take off to Mesa Verde/Durango, CO/Grand Canyon without any time to plan. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? The kids are 8 and 11. They like everything - museums, zip lines, hikes, everything... Thanks in advance!:001_smile:

We stayed for a long weekend at Mesa Verde and had a great time. Are you/can you stay on site? When you get there, you can get info about guided hikes, trails etc. There is definitely a couple of days of stuff there.

We also enjoyed Hovenweep which is nearby. Cortez is a nice little town, with a good restaurant as I remember.

If you are wanting to spend a night at the South Rim, then my recommendation would be to call about lodging rather than trying to book through the website. An agent will be able to check if there have been any recent cancellations.

Another option would be to stay in Williams and ride the train to the South Rim. Or of course you can stay in Flagstaff (visit the Lowell observatory if you have any astronomy fans in your family) and drive to the South Rim.

Once you're there, you can take a little stroll along the rim trail (super easy) or you can descend into the canyon on the Bright Angel trail. Take more water than you think you need, and just remember that the hike back up takes up to twice as long as the hike down, and is much harder, so turn back at an appropriate time for your family. Depending on what altitude you are acclimated to, you might find it harder than expected.

Mesa Verde is a lot of fun, too, though I don't have any specific advice.

I live in Cortez :001_smile:.When are you going? Notah Dineh is a native american store here but downstairs they have a mini museum (it is free). There is also the Anasazi Heritage Center and Crow Canyon Archaeological Center. If you are wanting a hike Sand Canyon is a good one. Telluride is also a good town to stop by it has gondolas to ride and some neat parks and hiking, on the way up is Trout lake which hidden in the mountains behind trout lake is Hope lake which is a good hike. In Durango they have a paintball zip line (never been there though) I would also suggest the alpine slide (my kids almost 7 and 8 LOVE this and so do us big kids in the family) it is at the ski resort it is a huge slide they also have a rock climbing wall and some other things to do there. Honeyville is out that direction too they have a plexiglass bee hive where you can see the bees at work and if you go during certain hours you can see them bottle the honey. Along the road that direction is a hot spring also free. I also believe Cascade Creek is out that way BEAUTIFUL great hiking opportunity. They have a kids science museum in Durango and the Silverton train. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

Once you're there, you can take a little stroll along the rim trail (super easy) or you can descend into the canyon on the Bright Angel trail. Take more water than you think you need, and just remember that the hike back up takes up to twice as long as the hike down, and is much harder, so turn back at an appropriate time for your family. Depending on what altitude you are acclimated to, you might find it harder than expected.

If you want to hike down, go early early early in the morning and plan to be back up by 10am. Ds and Dh just got back from backpacking there and it was often 120* by mid-day down in the canyon. As the sign says, getting to the bottom is optional, making it back up is mandatory :).

I live in Durango and can offer some advice. Tons of hiking available here. They just completed the final section of the Animas River Trail...7 miles of wonderful paved trail spanning from the far north end of Durango to the far south end....no motorized vehicles. You can even rent bikes from several different places in town. Trails 2000 is a local organization that helps with trail maintenance...here is a link to their website: http://www.trails2000.org/ The Colorado Trail is an amazing trail through some incredible scenic country. It is over 400 miles and goes from Durango to Denver. Although, you can just start it and hike for a half day or an hour or so. Here is their website: http://www.coloradotrail.org/

I don't recommend the Durango Discovery Museum...I think it is a tourist trap. It is fun to go once and is really small...I would much rather spend that money on going to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

Four Corners isn't that far of a drive. It is a little hokey...but you can take pictures of your kids with their feet and hands in four different states at once.

I think someone already mentioned the Anasazi Heritage Center...well worth the trip. Just southeast of Durango (about 20 miles) in Ignacio is a brand new state of the art Cultural Center built by the Southern Ute Indian Tribe...also well worth it.

Stop in at the Chamber of Commerce/Visitor Center (next to a really great park) as you get into Durango. They will have maps and can give you all kinds of great info. Our number one tourist attraction is the Durango/Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. It is an all day trip into the most spectacular and scenic country you will ever see in your life. I recommend riding the train one way and driving back down the mountain. Silverton is a fun little town with a culture all its own. A little farther up the mountain from Silverton is a town called Ouray (pronounced you-ray.) They have some amazing hot springs there. Another place with wonderful hot springs is Pagosa Springs...about an hour east of Durango. Durango has a hot springs north of town called Trimble Hot Springs...small and overpriced.

There is a wonderful rec center here that the kids would love...water slide and the whole bit. There is also a fish hatchery...it is small but really neat with a little wildlife museum (free but bring quarters to buy some fish food.)

I so wish I could meet you. I would take you all over the place and show you the best local places. But we are leaving to go to our state homeschool conference in Denver. :( I grew up here and absolutely love it!

I've only been to the Grand Canyon one time...so I don't have much to offer or recommend.

Have a great time! And be safe!

Edited by godsaggie

My husband's starting a new job in two weeks, so we want to take off to Mesa Verde/Durango, CO/Grand Canyon without any time to plan. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? The kids are 8 and 11. They like everything - museums, zip lines, hikes, everything... Thanks in advance!:001_smile:

I did that vacation about 14 years ago. Grand Canyon, the train from Durango to Silverton and Mesa Verde.....that was plenty. :) Gorgeous trip.