Menu

Recommend a good Harry Potter-type wand

Hi all,

My dd is a huge Harry Potter fan. We visited the Harry Potter exhibition this morning and they were selling all the wands from the movies for the equivalent of US$ 55.

I understand these wands are made from resin, not wood. I felt the price was too high for what is basically a child's toy. So, I am asking here for recommendations of affordable wands that look authentic.

My dd wants a dark coloured wand with vine markings on it; something like the Red Vine Leaf Wand we saw on Amazon today. It is still rather expensive for a toy (or maybe I am out of sync with today's toy marketplace). If you know of a more affordable option that looks like that, please suggest.

Thank you.

One dd asked for one for her birthday and got it, from an online wand store, Alivans. They're not super-cheap, but the least expensive one is under $20 and they have small ones (7") for even less. They come in an official looking box with a certificate a la Harry saying what special stuff they're made of (the wood part is the actual wood, but they don't really have unicorn and dragon bits ;)).

Or, another dd just made a couple from an online tutorial out of dowels, white glue, paint, and some other stuff. Came out quite nice.

I can not find it :glare: but on the Hogwarts yahoo group there is a brochure- type thing made by ollivanders that explains how to make your own if you can't get to the "real" store. We did that and it turned out great.

I like the other link too; might have to do that. We went to Universal and ds was chosen for the wand demo or whatever- those wands are not toys really. They break pretty easily :glare:

Hi! You can use a chopstick as the form and mold sculpey clay around it and bake it in the oven. Sculpey goes 50% off at Michaels now and then, so it's only $1/pack. It's easy to mold. If they want authentic wood looking, they'd just make long thin snakes of clay out of a few different wood colors, and twist and fold them to their hearts content and then mold it around the chopstick. Put on cardstock on a cookie sheet at 175 degrees - 15 minutes for every quarter inch. Turn the oven off and let it cool completely before you open it and remove their masterpieces. Mine have added marbles to the end and secured with sculpey, but that's a little more fragile.

Cream soda with a little butterscotch extract topped with a mixture of marshmallow fluff and whipped cream simulates butter beer pretty nicely, too, if your little wizards need the appropriate libations. :001_smile:

JenMama;3992984]Hi! You can use a chopstick as the form and mold sculpey clay around it and bake it in the oven. Sculpey goes 50% off at Michaels now and then, so it's only $1/pack. It's easy to mold. If they want authentic wood looking, they'd just make long thin snakes of clay out of a few different wood colors, and twist and fold them to their hearts content and then mold it around the chopstick. Put on cardstock on a cookie sheet at 175 degrees - 15 minutes for every quarter inch. Turn the oven off and let it cool completely before you open it and remove their masterpieces. Mine have added marbles to the end and secured with sculpey, but that's a little more fragile. [/b]

Cream soda with a little butterscotch extract topped with a mixture of marshmallow fluff and whipped cream simulates butter beer pretty nicely, too, if your little wizards need the appropriate libations. :001_smile:

That is an amzing idea!!! Thanks so much for sharing it

We have made several wands although officially they came from Olivanders. We used a broken chair spindle for one, a tapered doweling for another and my youngest child's wand is a stripped knobby willow. If you have any gentian violet kicking around, it makes for the coolest purple wood dye.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and suggestions! :)

We used the tutorial from Instructables, rolled a paper around a chopstick and painted it with acrylic paint. Here is the result.

It is a little bent because the wand is longer than the chopstick inside, but my dd loves it. :thumbup:

post-13035-13535086940872_thumb.jpg

post-13035-13535086941041_thumb.jpg

post-13035-13535086941204_thumb.jpg

post-13035-13535086940872_thumb.jpg

post-13035-13535086941041_thumb.jpg

post-13035-13535086941204_thumb.jpg

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and suggestions! :)

We used the tutorial from Instructables, rolled a paper around a chopstick and painted it with acrylic paint. Here is the result.

It is a little bent because the wand is longer than the chopstick inside, but my dd loves it. :thumbup:

Looks great! :001_smile: