Menu

How do you homeschool while working outside of the home?

I have always worked outside the home. I was hoping that I could start staying home next school year, but it is not looking possible at this moment. I work three days per week, and in the past my mom has watched my kiddos or I had a homeschooling mom/friend watch my son. This fall, I will have two school-aged kiddos for the first time. My mom can no longer watch them every day that I work (although she is still willing to help out) and my homeschool friend is not an option. I could possibly do my job from home, but it requires me to be available by phone during business hours and also to see clients occassionally.

I am considering a private school for the kids next year, but it is truly breaking my heart because I love homeschooling. I regularly see here on the boards that many of the moms work. I guess I am wondering if I have thought of all options. How do you work while homeschooling your kids???

Thanks so much!

Carefully and with much hand-wringing! :001_smile: But in practical matters, I was able to slowly transition my job to be based mostly in the home office by being lucky in having a flexible employer, and remaining a valuable and conscientious employee. I work about 25 hrs a week with full-time availability by cell and email, with one day a week reserved for going to the office or site visits as necessary. Grandparents usually watch the kids that one day--the rest of the time they are with me. The kids have grown up with it so they know now not to interrupt if the home office door is closed because it means I am on am important call, but that I will open the door again when I am off the phone and they can come get hugs again. It usually works out ok, my company does not care where I get the work done as long as it is completed in a professional manner and on time....but I do frequently end up working late into the night when a deadline looms. Such is my life, but I count myself lucky for being able to do it.

Dh works day shift, I work evening shift part-time, including every other weekend. That is the price we pay for the privilege to homeschool.

Looks like your options might be to have longer schooldays on your days off, seems like it might work for preschooler +/or K. Otherwise, maybe a late pm or evening school? School on Saturday?

Looks like your options might be to have longer schooldays on your days off, seems like it might work for preschooler +/or K. Otherwise, maybe a late pm or evening school? School on Saturday?

:iagree:

I work out of the home 3 days a week for 9 hours per day plus 6 hours every other Saturday. Dh is home with our 3 monkeys - two school aged and one 7 month old. The older monkeys do more independent, workbook items on the days I work. I do other non-workbooky things in the evenings and on my days off. I also take them to our local park day. Add in their outside of the house activities and things seem hectic. But it works and they are learning. The other thing I find works for us is schooling year round. It allows us more flexibility when trying to complete curricula.