Menu

Hey Andrew or Elemntary Greek

Looking at the program for at least DS who will be 8 this school year. DD would likely want to sit in if she could but this is not a requirement at all as she will only be 4 this year. Which one would you choose and why? We will likely move to Athenaze with Lukeion when DS is 11 or so.

Edited by NatashainDFW

I've used both, and much prefer Elementary Greek. (T is currently using EG 2.) The approach it uses seems more logical and systematic to me. HA seems more... I don't know...haphazard or something. It's also slower-moving.

I've used both too. HA is a great intro for very young students (1st grade, 2nd grade). Elementary Greek is too fast moving for very young students in my opinion. If your child is going into 3rd grade, you could either move quickly through HA 1,2,3 or try Elementary Greek one and be prepared to move at a slower pace if necessary

According to my pastor (a former seminary Greek professor) Hey Andrew was almost worse than not trying to teach it at all. Our other pastor (now tutoring my son in Greek) is using Elementary Greek and he really likes it.

However I will warn you that EG is more difficult to teach and moves rather fast. I think they memorize 100 different Vocab words per year, (not just declensions.) ..so while they are doing the book work, and memorizing the charts of declensions and grammar, they are constantly having to study the Vocab. My son studies his Vocab 3x each day just to keep abreast.

PS I recommend HA levels 1 and 2 just tO learn the alphabet, basic sounds and a few words, and then start with EG. Especially if your student is younger than 4th grade.

I used Hey Andrew in the past, as it's all there was. I think I used books 3 and 4 before moving into Machen 1st edition.

Machen 1st edition is the only Greek text I ever had success using as our core. We supplemented like crazy with many books, but Athenaze was one of our least favorites, and impossible as a core text.

I don't remember why I didn't like Hey Andrew 5, but I know I didn't. 3 ad 4 are PERFECT as an intro to 1st Edition Machen, especially if you are going to do something "stupid" and "impossible" like try and teach your kid to compose Greek sentences with correct accents :D Level 4 includes work with accents, which is going to make or break the decision for some people.

According to my pastor (a former seminary Greek professor) Hey Andrew was almost worse than not trying to teach it at all. Our other pastor (now tutoring my son in Greek) is using Elementary Greek and he really likes it.

Thanks for sharing this! I have been on the fence over a Greek program. And I'm still trying to decide if I want to do Greek or Latin!