Menu

Too Much Time with Audiobooks?

My dd8 loves audiobooks and whenever we aren't doing school, in her spare time, nights and weekends - she listens to audiobooks in her room. She will be playing or doing crafts while she listens but I'm wondering if maybe she is addicted to audiobooks and is that bad? She likes Nancy Drew, Boxcar Children, etc. and I have her throw in some ones that have to do with history every now and then. I had her just go in her room without any audio, and she said it felt so terrible without an audiobook going and that is what brought me on here to post this question! Any advice!? :confused:

Oh, wow, that's my Dd. She takes her iPod everywhere, but I choose all the books. The reason why I switched to more audiobooks was that she was reading too much and I was concerned about her eyesight. I limit the amount of time she reads, but give her unlimited time with audiobooks, usually books that I can't read aloud (eg Brian Jacques) or classic books. Her vocabulary has increased dramatically and she often has a sophisticated way of speaking.

I was wondering the same thing, but I have her narrate, so I know she really is listening to the stories. Also, she is a speed reader, and I had my suspicions that she was reading too fast and possibly skipping a lot of words, so audiobooks forces her to listen carefully. Usually, after listening to an audiobook of a classic, I put the book on our Kindle and have her read it.

Dd doesn't like quiet or darkness, and given that she is young, I suspect carrying the iPod around eases her fears.

ETA: She still loves to read and listening to audiobooks hasn't affected this.

Edited by crazyforlatin

My kids prefer to listen to audiobooks, so I make sure they listen to one's that are educational as well as fun, just like you are doing. I also have them read a book they want for 20 minutes. It makes me feel better:D I wouldn't worry about it. One thing that I have switched up is making sure that there are books in the car, not just audiobooks. I don't put on the radio and they are happy as clams to read a book and not just be looking out the window.

My kids listened to audiobooks for hours and hours. All it did was give them a huge vocabulary and wonderful sentence structures. We all enjoy audiobooks and listen a lot in the car.

I don't think it does any harm.

I don't either. It forces the brain to supply the images to what they are hearing instead of being fed the picture on a screen. As long as you pick the material or pick it with her, I don't see a lot of danger.

I'm glad to hear this because my child listens to hours upon hours as well, and it does worry me sometimes. But I do pick what she has access to listen too, and it is almost all educational and/or classical with a few 'for fun' thrown in now and again.

My son loves audiobooks too. He loves his Between the Lions CD's. They read different stories and he is excited when it's one that we've read before too, like the King and the Hawk. He also listens to the abridged version of Pinocchio a lot. We just finished reading the unabridged version and he kept stopping me to tell me what was going to happen next. So, all the times I get frustrated with his narration I try to remember all the stuff he does narrate from his audio books.

*I* do this. If I'm alone, the only time I don't have one going is if what I'm doing involves reading of any kind (besides the obvious books, also forums, email, recipes...). Although often if it's directions of some sort, I'll still be listening to an audiobook and just pause it as necessary to read whatever I need to. I just now got on the computer after spending about an hour sewing and preparing some things for DD's birthday party and I was listening to an audiobook the whole time. I always have one going when I'm cooking or cleaning, even if DD is "helping" me.

For *me*, it's because I need something to focus on. I'm ADD, and if I can't focus, I can't get anything accomplished. If I try to JUST cook or clean or sew or do a puzzle or..... I have a hard time staying focused because those things don't engage enough of my mind. If I listen to a story, that engages my mind so I can stay with whatever else it is I'm doing. The opposite is also true for me. I can't only engage my mind without engaging physically. I cannot listen to the sermon at church without doodling. I can sit there without doodling if I must, but I will not take in a word of it.

So, all that to say, I don't think there's a such thing as too much time with audiobooks. But I may not be the right person to judge ;)

Dd11 listens all the time too. I do ask that she uses speakers, not headphone in her room, and not walk around listening, as I find the headphones habit isolating. She reads a lot, has easily made the transition to school, has friends, does well academically, so I am not really worried!

It wouldn't worry me in the slightest. Audiobooks are fabulous.

The girls and I have always gone to bed with one on and we often have them on when we are puttering.

Their vocabulary scores on the stanford 10's have always been in the 98th percentile and I attribute it to the reading they do as well as the audiobooks.