Menu

Now I need a hug...I'm ready to cry....

Our first year homeschooling dyslexic/dysgraphic 3rd grader and we've been so diligent in trying to get her curriculum that matches up with her learning style and abilities. She's going in for a VT eval next month because we think she has some vision issues.

Now, we noticed these past couple months she seems to not be hearing quite right- well, the ENT confirmed she has significant hearing loss in the low frequencies. He ordered a full blood panel and an EKG stat! SO, we're trying to get to the bottom of it -- but I'm just feeling sad.

There. I got that out. Can't really do that around the kiddos or even my dh. You guys, well, you understand.

Paula

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Gosh. It can all feel so overwhelming sometimes. I have been reflecting on this...there are so much responsibilities being the homeschooling parent. It can be so much to carry.

:grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug: Please ensure the ENT also checks her tonsils. My friend had to have surgery to have the tonsils and adenoids removed in all three of her children. One of her kids suffered hearing loss and they thought there was nothing that could be done about it (they started speech therapy at the time) until an ENT caught the tonsil issue. Her son no longer exhibits signs of hearing loss after the surgery. Not saying this is the same case but just something to look into.

Thanks for the hugs and wonderful posts. We won't get all this other testing done until next week, and with prayer and reflection I am a bit more calm now. We knew about her dyslexia and other issues, but this hearing loss thing just literally kind of came out of nowhere.....

I am thankful the doctor is covering all the bases- He's included even some genetic testing to look for certain markers, not sure of what that all entails. She'll have the EKG to rule out heart related problems (which apparently can cause sudden hearing loss) and a CT and/or MRI of the ear. So, after all that testing we'll know more about what we're dealing with. Until they figure out the cause for the hearing loss, we're in limbo for knowing. The ENT said she is the "mystery patient" of the month- no prior indication of hearing loss and unknown what the cause is.

I am thankful that if this has been an issue that we caught this. Our daughter's low frequencies was like in the 40 range with "normal" being 0-15. So the loss is huge. And at the low range there may not be a hearing aid type option, so we'll just have to wait to see.

As the poster above said, I am thankful. Thankful that we noticed this- had our dd still been in public school I'm not sure we would have caught this. God must have a plan here- we just don't know what it is.

I'll keep you posted when I know more.

Paula

Oh dear, there's just nothing quite like dealing with such concerns for your children, and certainly all the moms on this SN board can sympathize!

Despite all the challanges that are before you and your dd, your daughter is very blessed, and so much better off than so many children, in that she has you for a mom and a good doctor getting this figured out. I hope you get answers soon, and everything turns out okay for her.