Menu

Who's gearing up for college apps this summer/fall?

creekland

Hey Creekland! We are starting round 2 also with next ds. He is focused on engineering of some kind - mechanical, computer or aerospace. His first choice school is UVA with Grove City as a back up. He is adamant that he does not want to go to VA Tech! Anything you could post that might help him reconsider? I think he is put off by the big school atmosphere. He sat in on some UVAclasses and liked that they were smaller (not freshman classes, as they will be huge too.)

Ds #2 is also not the least interested in Covenant! Wants to get right into engineering and does not want the liberal arts degree. I have no peace about any of his choices for different reasons. Praying much already for guidance.

Hey Creekland! We are starting round 2 also with next ds. He is focused on engineering of some kind - mechanical, computer or aerospace. His first choice school is UVA with Grove City as a back up. He is adamant that he does not want to go to VA Tech! Anything you could post that might help him reconsider? I think he is put off by the big school atmosphere. He sat in on some UVAclasses and liked that they were smaller (not freshman classes, as they will be huge too.)

Ds #2 is also not the least interested in Covenant! Wants to get right into engineering and does not want the liberal arts degree. I have no peace about any of his choices for different reasons. Praying much already for guidance.

I couldn't even convince my own guys to consider VT, so I'm probably not going to be too helpful with yours. Pending which type of engineering he wants, VT is the better engineering school though. I fully "get" size. Hubby and I thrived in the large school. My guys want smaller. Such is life. Out of curiosity, has he visited Tech, spent the night, and sat in on a class?

My #2 starts this fall at the U of Rochester - for pre-med/neuroscience. So far, he's looking forward to it, but his preferred roommate (also a Christian and someone he matched with VERY, VERY well) died 2 weeks ago. I had a thread about it here:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=407689

Now he has another roommate. They've talked once and will probably get along just fine, but it's still not the same. He's connected with kids who will be more likely to be his friends on UR's FB page.

Kids around here who go to Grove City like it. I haven't met any of their engineers to be able to speak about their program though. Their classes (in general) tend to be a little larger than most Christian colleges, but kids don't complain.

Anyway, we're sitting out the process this year, but will gear up next year when my youngest is ready. He's shifting his thoughts now and wanting to go into missions of some sort - with botany. It's going to be a hard combo to find since, at the moment, he's rejecting secular schools and those tend to be better for botany. I'm not sure why. He was ok with them a couple of months ago... He's still a junior - lots of time to think for him.

BTW, oldest still loves Covenant and is super active there (plus has a fiance from there). He even worked there over the summer. How's your guy doing?

BTW' date=' oldest still loves Covenant and is super active there (plus has a fiance from there). He even worked there over the summer. How's your guy doing?[/quote']

Oldest is working there this summer also! He still absolutely loves being there. He is talking about staying after graduation to work. I am ok with that as he still isn't sure where his calling is. He has worked for facilities all summer and has enjoyed being on his own.

I read some of the thread about your ds's future roomate. I am so sorry for his and your loss!

We have not gone to VT because ds thinks its a waste of time. I keep advising him not to count on UVA. He knows other homeschoolers who are there and thinks he has a good shot at getting in. I have heard so many stories around here of class valdictorians and Eagle scouts who are top of their class not getting accepted. I am just having a hard time letting God lead him! I thought it would be easier this time around but it's not. Different kid, different goals, and more involved applications. Good to 'talk' to you!

Would your son consider a move to Michigan? Michigan Tech has the small class size, excellent student to professor ratio, and a close knit community and an EXCELLENT engineering department. They recently took first place in a national aerospace engineering competition. It's a great school and with scholarships, I think the out-of-state tuition would be affordable. Hate to say it, but their engineering is stronger than UVA.

The downside is winter...it lasts a while up there. Hockey is the preferred sport followed by skiing, snowboarding, and speed skating. They are very proud of their hockey team! The facility is beautiful, lots of research labs, gorgeous forestry projects, the archaeology department is always busy with ongoing digs particularly around the copper mines, Lake Superior can't be beat for natural beauty and they do have "puddle jumper" airlines that fly into their regional airport. He could also probably get transport in from Duluth, MN.

Just a thought that popped into my head because ds is hoping to have a college tour and sit in on some classes this fall even though he's a sophomore. He is already scouting out which schools are most likely to give him scholarships for his participating in Team America Rockety Challenge and NASA Student Launch Initiative, but will also recognize his 4-H writing and science accomplishments.

Faith

Michigan Tech has the small class size, excellent student to professor ratio, and a close knit community and an EXCELLENT engineering department.

Michigan Tech is my daughter's first choice school! She attended a leadership program there in the spring, and then participated in their Women in Engineering program this summer. She's lived in the dorms, worked in the chemical engineering and materials science labs, hung out with faculty, staff and students, and just LOVED it. She already has friends up there now.

I spent a week there with her in the spring, and got to know some of the admissions and financial aid folks. I still keep in touch with them via email. They're awesome.

MTU has a very strong co-op and internship program and lots of undergraduate research opportunities, which are all things that are very important to my dd. It's also a nice sized school (about 7000 students). And they have a sailing club, which is super important to her.

I can't say enough good things the campus and the community. My daughter is applying to the chemical engineering program, but wants to pick up a double major in materials engineering.

Edited by sailmom

• 3 weeks later...