Menu

Who's gearing up for college apps this summer/fall?

creekland

We get to sit this cycle out since youngest is just a junior, but I love to follow others in the process. For anyone caring to share, who has a senior gearing up for college apps? You need not say where they are applying or thinking of applying, but if you don't mind a general description, I'd love that too. (Like LAC thinking of... ? or similar) I just enjoy the Hive kids and their plans...

Round 2 starts in August. My middle dd is definitely applying to UT Dallas and to Trinity University. We don't really know where else at this point. Those are the only schools she has visited. She knows that she wants a secular school with neuroscience and cognitive science (although she could end up going with straight psychology).

My oldest will be a senior next year, and I started working on her transcript and course descriptions today. She went to ps for the first time last year and is about 99% sure that she will come back home for her last year.

She is not sure what she wants to do and we are hoping for a LAC. Right now she is being pretty quiet about where she wants to apply, but I do know University of Arizona is on the list because it is close to home.

I am sure I will be asking lots a questions in the next few months. I have been reading the high school and college board very closely this past year.

My oldest will be a senior in the fall (where has the time gone?) and we are gearing up for applying for schools. I just bought The Home Scholar's Comprehensive Record Solution. I am a bit overwhelmed by everything right now. I kept ok records but putting it all together makes my stomach hurt a bit :glare:. Thankfully she has great SAT scores, has done lots of community service, etc. I'm just worried about making sure that I can showcase all that she has done during high school. She is planning on auditioning for Schools of Music early 2013.

I am planning on being MUCH more organized with our next dd who will be a freshman in the fall.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

Edited by speedmom4
forgot something

I am with my third and final dd. I think she will mainly be applying to conservatories with university dual degree options. We've begun the process this summer by having her attend several weeks of masterclasses with potential conservatory professors. Applications will be important, but for dd it's all about being on a professor's radar and then doing well at the audition. January through March will be brutal.

I am with my third and final dd. I think she will mainly be applying to conservatories with university dual degree options. We've begun the process this summer by having her attend several weeks of masterclasses with potential conservatory professors. Applications will be important, but for dd it's all about being on a professor's radar and then doing well at the audition. January through March will be brutal.

Keep us posted so that we can send Good Hive Vibes (GHV) in those months!

Jane

My oldest is applying to engineering schools.

She has a very strong first choice school, and it's a pretty safe bet that's where she'll end up since they've already given her one scholarship award, but she'll apply to the others to see what the financial outcomes are.

We've started. I have printed out all of the applications for the colleges he is interested in. He is filling out rough drafts of them. For most of the applications, he will be filling them out online in July or August.

I have a senior in the fall, too. I'm quite nervous about the whole application process!!

Can I ask about the part I bolded? How does one gain access to the application to print out? I checked three unis that my ds is interested in, and they are all online and require a password.

Do I (he) just create an account and when we get to the application, just print it out?

Also, the three unis I looked at all say their apps will be available Aug 1... am I just looking at unis with different procedures than you?

TIA!

Also, the three unis I looked at all say their apps will be available Aug 1... am I just looking at unis with different procedures than you?

TIA!

Your post reminded me of something I had read recently. In the past the Common App came out on July 1. This year it will not be available until August 1 but a preview version is available here.

Also, I want to warn parents that while some universities have rolling admissions policies, applications to honors programs might close early. I found it helpful to keep a notebook with various due dates.

Yes, with applications it will depend upon whether the school uses the Common App or their own. The Common App last year became available Aug 1st. If a college uses their own they can have it available anytime.

If a school offers rolling admissions (they consider the app as soon as it arrives and give you an answer soon), be sure to get it in EARLY. Many also give out merit aid early and it's first come, first served. This does NOT commit you to going there (students have until May 1st for the "final" decision), but it does let you go through the rest of the application season with a backup school at the very least. Oldest is going to his first acceptance school. It was his first choice from his first app. Middle chose a different school. Either works.

It is nice having an acceptance in the bag and not having to wait until spring to find out ALL the answers IMO.

May first choice schools work out for everyone (acceptance-wise and financially)!

Your post reminded me of something I had read recently. In the past the Common App came out on July 1. This year it will not be available until August 1 but a preview version is available here.

Also, I want to warn parents that while some universities have rolling admissions policies, applications to honors programs might close early. I found it helpful to keep a notebook with various due dates.

Thanks, Jane! That link is great.

We do plan to have ds apply ASAP if for no other reason than to get it out of the way. :001_smile:

Yes, with applications it will depend upon whether the school uses the Common App or their own. The Common App last year became available Aug 1st. If a college uses their own they can have it available anytime.

If a school offers rolling admissions (they consider the app as soon as it arrives and give you an answer soon), be sure to get it in EARLY. Many also give out merit aid early and it's first come, first served. This does NOT commit you to going there (students have until May 1st for the "final" decision), but it does let you go through the rest of the application season with a backup school at the very least. Oldest is going to his first acceptance school. It was his first choice from his first app. Middle chose a different school. Either works.

It is nice having an acceptance in the bag and not having to wait until spring to find out ALL the answers IMO.

May first choice schools work out for everyone (acceptance-wise and financially)!

Thanks for this, too. I keep poking around the unis' websites, but see no mention of common app or their own. I'm assuming (dangerous, I know!) that since they are all public unis that they'll use the common app.

This whole process scares the heck out of me! When I was ready to think about college, I took the ACT once, sent in one uni application and that was that. No LORs, no guidance counselor letters, nothing. Just my app and a check for the app fee. I'm feeling so, so nervous about the whole process!! And I had to make it worse by homeschooling, so now those forms are way more scary and confusing to me! I'm not sure who is supposed to fill out which forms!!! :scared: :sad:

I took a peek at the common app and it doesn't seem to allow for a lot of variation. For instance, the home school form - if I remember correctly that's where I saw this - allows for only four classes for each of the core areas. :glare: When you type in these spaces, do more become available - IOW is it expandable? I know they strongly suggest applying online, but how do you fit things in or explain things? Is it okay to scan additional documents to add to the application?

ETA: Sorry OP I'm off on a tangent again. I read thread, and I start thinking and searching and then posting ... without checking back on what the thread was originally about. : P

Edited by Teachin'Mine

These are the schools that use the Common App as of 2012:

https://www.commonapp.org/commonapp/members.aspx

Many publics have their own app.

Yes, the Common App expands if you need to add other courses. You also have an option to upload your own transcript (which we did rather than using theirs).

Arrgh! None of the unis my son is looking at are listed there. Does that mean each app will be different? Ugh!

Thanks for posting that list. I thought (mistakenly!) that it would have been the privates that used their own app. Interesting (in an annoying way!).

Dd (my 2nd and last child :crying:) is a rising senior. We're still in the process of identifying colleges that might be a good fit for her. It's nerve-wracking because it's looking like the entire process is going to be soooo different for her than it was for ds three years ago. For ds it was mostly the Common App, Early Action and Regular Action deadlines. For dd, all but one of the schools she's looking at have rolling admissions and their own applications (ugh), and she's probably going to need to get the applications done yet this summer. :tongue_smilie:

Well, we'll be going through this for the first time with our oldest. I will be lurking here often, trying to learn how to get through this from everyone here who has so much wisdom on the subject. Dd is not entirely sure where she wants to go. She is strong in the Language Arts, and she would like to attend a Catholic school, (but it doesn't HAVE to be Catholic). She visited Princeton last month, and would like to apply there. Creighton, Steubenville, and Villanova are also on her radar. She will have her last high school season of swimming in the fall, so things are going to get very busy, very fast. I'm worried that I might let something fall through the cracks. I think I will ask her to have her final list of potentials ready for me in July, so that we will be ready to apply in August. Yikes~! I'm nervous about this!

Creighton, Steubenville, and Villanova are also on her radar. She will have her last high school season of swimming in the fall, so things are going to get very busy, very fast.

We visited Creighton in the fall, and my dd really liked it, but once she decided to go into chemical engineering rather than chemistry we had to rule it out.

We were pleasantly surprised by the Catholic community there. I'm happy to share our visit impressions with you, if you haven't had a chance to visit. :)

Well, we'll be going through this for the first time with our oldest. I will be lurking here often, trying to learn how to get through this from everyone here who has so much wisdom on the subject. Dd is not entirely sure where she wants to go. She is strong in the Language Arts, and she would like to attend a Catholic school, (but it doesn't HAVE to be Catholic). She visited Princeton last month, and would like to apply there. Creighton, Steubenville, and Villanova are also on her radar. She will have her last high school season of swimming in the fall, so things are going to get very busy, very fast. I'm worried that I might let something fall through the cracks. I think I will ask her to have her final list of potentials ready for me in July, so that we will be ready to apply in August. Yikes~! I'm nervous about this!

Your daughter sounds very much like mine. For some reason, Carroll College in Montana has caught my dd's attention. I'm not so sure she would enjoy the cold weather for long after living in AZ almost her entire life. We are looking carefully at the Catholic schools, but her choice doesn't have to be Catholic. She also prefers Lang Arts. Trying to narrow down a list of where to appy is not going to be easy!

We looked briefly at Carroll college for Dd. My SIL went there and recommended it. But she was pre-pharmacy, and Carroll is known for it's sciences (especially nursing and pre-med) more than anything. So Carroll has dropped off the list, since Dd really wants a school that is recognized for its Liberal Arts. I did tell dd that I want her final list by July 15th. That has made this all very real. She's going to have to quit jumping around from this idea to that, and actually make some decisions!

I don't really count because we don't homeschool, but I read and post here, so in case anyone is interested...

My oldest will be a senior this year. He is looking at engineering schools. For the past seven years he has been set on mechanical engineering with a concentration in robotics. However, we took him to visit VA Tech this spring, and he is now thinking about engineering mechanics, and doing robotics and biomedical engineering. Unless he ends up at VA Tech, I think he will do ME instead of ESM. We have a good friend in the ESM dept at VA Tech with whom DS would love to work.

He is looking at GA Tech, VA Tech, and Michigan. He wants to apply to MIT, and has the scores to get in, but we cannot afford it. (Ok, we could afford it, but are not willing to since GA Tech would be free tuition.) He will apply to MIT knowing we are not going to pay for it.

I did tell dd that I want her final list by July 15th.

Just FYI, you don't need a FINAL final list by July 15th. While earlier is better, middle son didn't decide to apply to U Rochester until after Thanksgiving - with their merit aid deadline Dec 1st. He got in, got decent merit aid, and ended up choosing them over other schools. ;)

Feel free to keep your mind open in case something more attractive pops up after the "final" list. It could work out to be #1.

Earlier is mainly better for the rolling admission schools who give out their merit aid on a first come, first served basis.

I don't really count because we don't homeschool, but I read and post here, so in case anyone is interested...

He is looking at GA Tech, VA Tech, and Michigan. He wants to apply to MIT, and has the scores to get in, but we cannot afford it. (Ok, we could afford it, but are not willing to since GA Tech would be free tuition.) He will apply to MIT knowing we are not going to pay for it.

Definitely add! I enjoy following all of the Hive kids - whether they homeschool, afterschool, or just enjoy hanging out here. I'm now the latter BTW. My last homeschooler was my middle son and he graduated May 31st. Youngest insists on going to the ps and isn't so keen on afterschooling.

And... I'm selfishing rooting for Va Tech... ;)

Definitely add! I enjoy following all of the Hive kids - whether they homeschool, afterschool, or just enjoy hanging out here. I'm now the latter BTW. My last homeschooler was my middle son and he graduated May 31st. Youngest insists on going to the ps and isn't so keen on afterschooling.

And... I'm selfishing rooting for Va Tech... ;)

I have to say, I loved being back in Blacksburg. The burgers at Mike's were still amazing. Macado's was still fun. So many great memories...

I have to say, I loved being back in Blacksburg. The burgers at Mike's were still amazing. Macado's was still fun. So many great memories...

We ate at Souvlaki's and Mike's the last time we went through there... some things are worth stopping for. (Two different meals, of course. One couldn't eat at both for one meal!) It's amazing how much they've built since we left. I almost get the feeling we went there in the wrong generation. I'd love to go back. But... I'm learning to love the schools my guys love so I can share in their experiences. I'd just never root for them in sports IF they played each other (they don't).

Thank you, Creekland. I will definitely keep that in mind. I told dd to give me a "final" list because she just has not come any closer to making any decisions over the last year. I need to have a place to start. She needs to understand what the application process is like. For example, she just added Princeton to the list this month. Princeton requires two SAT subject tests, so she will spend a lot of time studying for those this summer. Nov. 1 is their suggested deadline for SAT Subject test score submission. So I'm glad she realized she wanted to apply there now, kwim? But I truly appreciate your advice and will certainly keep an open mind about last minute additions to her list.

Thank you Sharon. It's nice to hear that you liked the Catholic community there. Dd and I will probably visit this summer. Though she doesn't like the fact that Creighton is so urban, she is keeping an open mind since 4 of her cousins have gone there and done well. Best wishes to you and yours as you journey along.

We are gearing up for dd's senior year here, and I'm freaking out a bit. I've been lax with transcript details, and I've known all along it would come down to an intense cram session on my part! I've known for three years how stupid I am, but maybe it will help me with my second, who is starting high school this year!

So much to do for dd, it seems. She's finishing up work she hasn't completed for junior year. She'll be taking a few CC classes this year, needs to do COMPASS testing in the next few weeks and enroll. Next week, we'll be taking a trip to DC to check out two of her "interest" colleges. She'll be retaking her SAT with the expectation of increasing her math score, and she's also looking at the ACT.

What's left of my brain is spinning wildly.

• 2 weeks later...
I have printed out all of the applications for the colleges he is interested in. He is filling out rough drafts of them.

This is a great idea! This is the second time I've seen that, and I think that I'll have ds do the same.

This will be my first graduate. DS will be a senior in the fall. He is not sure where he will apply other than University of MD College Park. He is using the summer to research universities with good/great music programs. He decided early on that he does not want to go to a conservatory because he's interested in getting a non-music second degree (anyway, he thinks he is). We've learned that there are a couple of conservatories where he may obtain a non-music degree along with a music degree. He will decide if he wants to apply to them this month.

DS has said from the beginning that he wanted to go to USC. Dad and I are not receptive to that because USC is all the way across the U.S. from MD. However, we have said that he may apply as long as he understands that he'll only be able to come home for Christmas and summer. DS is unsure of USC because of the required 3 SAT Subject Tests. He is so sick of SAT I/ACT tests at this point, that it stresses him out to think of more testing.

DS is so overwhelmed with choosing which colleges to apply. He just got back from Canada early this morning and really enjoyed the time he was there because he did not have to think about anything school-related. I know he dreads getting back in the swing of things.

My oldest will be applying to college this fall/winter. He has a very short list. Very short. He wants to attend Bethany Lutheran College in Minnesota. It is a small liberal arts college. They are very homeschool friendly, and so I have few worries about the application process.

My worry is that he will not want to apply anywhere else. I am trying to convince him that he needs to apply to a couple more schools.

This is our first time with the process too. DD is a senior in the fall and she too is sick of testing as well. She is happy with her June SAT scores so we want to get going on selecting the best list of where to go.

This is amounting to be a job in itself :bigear:.

Kathy

It's hard to believe that my first and only is a senior and starting the college application process. Just responding to this thread makes me feel a little queasy!

She is planning to major in economics (or polysci since going through the npec process and attending the week-long awards program in DC this summer) and is looking for a school with undergraduate research opportunities in her major.

So far her college list includes Wake Forest, Furman, UNC Chapel Hill (hopefully the honors college), and George Washington University (she recently fell in love with DC). She still has to visit Duke and Emory and will probably apply to Harvard and Princeton as well according to the "you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket" theory.

We are really behind in this process, but at least she now has some feel as to major as compared to last year's "no clue" major!

Nancy (now in NC, not NJ)

We are really behind in this process, but at least she now has some feel as to major as compared to last year's "no clue" major!

Nancy (now in NC, not NJ)

??? You're not behind! The Common App doesn't even become available until Aug 1st if I recall correctly. I'd say you're right where you should be with a list and a plan.

Welcome to the club! What colleges are you looking at applying to (or are you still looking)? Have you considered need based or merit aid?

My dd's list keeps changing. She is presently interested in Davidson College, Yale, Houston Baptist, Biola ... all for different reasons. She really wants to come out of school with as little loan as possible.

My oldest will be applying to college this fall/winter. He has a very short list. Very short. He wants to attend Bethany Lutheran College in Minnesota. It is a small liberal arts college. They are very homeschool friendly, and so I have few worries about the application process.

My worry is that he will not want to apply anywhere else. I am trying to convince him that he needs to apply to a couple more schools.

If you know he will get in (sounds likely) and you can afford it, he really doesn't need other applications unless you want him to have a choice or feel he will change his mind. We have several kids at our school who apply to one college.

Multiple applications generally are for those who aren't certain of getting in, affording it, or aren't yet sure where they want to go. They aren't a necessity.

My dd's list keeps changing. She is presently interested in Davidson College, Yale, Houston Baptist, Biola ... all for different reasons. She really wants to come out of school with as little loan as possible.

That's definitely a wide-range of schools!

I love how the Hive Mind has such a variety in it. It allows for a ton of breadth in knowledge to glean from!

I have printed out all of the applications for the colleges he is interested in. He is filling out rough drafts of them.

This is a great idea! This is the second time I've seen that, and I think that I'll have ds do the same.

This will be my first graduate. DS will be a senior in the fall. He is not sure where he will apply other than University of MD College Park. He is using the summer to research universities with good/great music programs. He decided early on that he does not want to go to a conservatory because he's interested in getting a non-music second degree (anyway, he thinks he is). We've learned that there are a couple of conservatories where he may obtain a non-music degree along with a music degree. He will decide if he wants to apply to them this month.

DS has said from the beginning that he wanted to go to USC. Dad and I are not receptive to that because USC is all the way across the U.S. from MD. However, we have said that he may apply as long as he understands that he'll only be able to come home for Christmas and summer. DS is unsure of USC because of the required 3 SAT Subject Tests. He is so sick of SAT I/ACT tests at this point, that it stresses him out to think of more testing.

DS is so overwhelmed with choosing which colleges to apply. He just got back from Canada early this morning and really enjoyed the time he was there because he did not have to think about anything school-related. I know he dreads getting back in the swing of things.

It really is overwhelming isn't it!!! As for the across the country thing--my dd wants to fly away too (we actually live in CA and she's looking on the east coast).

Gearing up over here!

Well. Sort of. :D I'm not a homeschool student, I'm a homeschool mom, do I count? I'm a college senior this year, so I'll be applying for grad school over the next couple of months. I don't hang out much over here on the high school boards yet, since my daughter is just 6, but I'm freaking out about applications so I thought I'd come commiserate. :willy_nilly::banghead::blink:

She is not sure what she wants to do and we are hoping for a LAC. Right now she is being pretty quiet about where she wants to apply, but I do know University of Arizona is on the list because it is close to home.

Arizona is on my list also. I'm not looking forward to the heat, but they have my program SO.... :tongue_smilie:

So far her college list includes Wake Forest, Furman, UNC Chapel Hill (hopefully the honors college), and George Washington University (she recently fell in love with DC). She still has to visit Duke and Emory and will probably apply to Harvard and Princeton as well according to the "you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket" theory.

Hey, I have a lot of those same schools on my list! UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, Emory, and Harvard. :D The NC schools are high on my wish list, I have family there so that would be ideal.

I'm still narrowing my list down and getting a final choice. I'll be sitting down with my mentor soon to do this soon, then it'll be time to make contact at the schools and start filling out the apps. I hope to have the completed by October or so, before the semester really gets busy.

If you know he will get in (sounds likely) and you can afford it, he really doesn't need other applications unless you want him to have a choice or feel he will change his mind. We have several kids at our school who apply to one college.

Ah, affordability. That is the issue. He will very likely be admitted. He even qualifies for some decent scholarships, but it is still expensive. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
??? You're not behind! The Common App doesn't even become available until Aug 1st if I recall correctly. I'd say you're right where you should be with a list and a plan.

That's where we are. Ds is working on his common app. We're editing his essay on type 1 diabetes. Gathering all the info. I will be :bigear: as we dive into this college app process. The toughest part for me is knowing how to help him help himself. He needs to own this yet I find myself taking ownership. I'll be relieved when this process is over in the fall/winter. :)

:lurk5:

Round 2 for us! Dd17 is so different from her brother in her interests and wants for a school that I feel like I can't use anything I learned two years ago!

She sat down with her guidance counselor at school before vacation to create a list of schools based solely on theatre majors and locations. We've eliminated some for their course offerings, their extracurriculars (need many theatre productions), and aspects of residential life. Dd and I will be meeting again with the counselor either this week or next to add to the list. I'm going to insist on an English w writing concentration major for additional opportunities after graduation! The theatre can be either a double major or a minor, I don't care.

Our major area of concern is in residential life. Dd has multiple food allergies, with soy being the greatest. Soy is in everything! She must attend a school that already has in place a protocol for dealing with food allergies. Freshman year is not the time to be a trailblazer :rolleyes: Dd really wants to attend a smaller school but so far in our searching, only larger school have any information about food allergies/intolerances and special dietary needs on their websites.

And she needs to retake the SAT to be more competitive for scholarship money, should she want to attend a higher-priced school. She knows how much money we will contribute (the full cost of the U of DE).

I can feel my stress and anxiety levels increasing daily. Bleh.