Menu

Has this forum strayed from its Classical roots?

LisaNY

I used to post more frequently on the old boards because:  

1. 1. I used to post more frequently on the old boards because:

• They were more Classical
    • I prefer the old format
    • I had more time
    • Other

Erica in PA posted recently, asking about other forums, since she was having trouble getting feedback on some of her questions. These boards move so quickly. This post then lead to a discussion on how these new forums are less Classical/less focused, more "generic" than the old boards.

This bothers me greatly, as I would hate to see this board lose its Classical focus. I know there was a thread several months ago about this. I am wondering if there were people who wanted to respond to the thread, but opted out.

So, I am posting a poll, in the hopes that people will feel more comfortable posting their opinions if they can remain anonymous. I would really like to see if there are people out there who are Classical, but post less here because they feel that the boards just don't apply to them anymore.

And, if that *is* the case. What can we do about it? Personally, I have always tried to maintain the "pay it forward" principle. I have been helped by so many dear people here over the years, that when I have the opportunity to give some of that back, I do. If it means taking time out of my busy day, then so be it. Others have done the same for me. :001_smile:

EDITED: THE ADMIN FIXED THE POLL, SO IT IS NOW ANONYMOUS.

I've been on the WTM boards for some eight years now, and (no offense) it's harder to find thoughtful discussion of classical materials than it once was. There are also more users so it's harder to find things. I find myself lurking more because of late I'm getting more help from email groups and my local classical buddies than here. It's easier for me to get an answer elsewhere.

The way it's set up and given that PHP doesn't have endless resources to manage it, I don't see that changing though. Nothing stays the same, does it?

I think it just seems like it's less "classical" but I think it's more due to the time of year. I really think come late July/Aug there will be more discussion on the K-8 and high school boards. Also, maybe it would help if people define what they mean by classical materials. What are folks looking for, what are they missing.

I've been on the WTM boards for some eight years now, and (no offense) it's harder to find thoughtful discussion of classical materials than it once was. There are also more users so it's harder to find things. I find myself lurking more because of late I'm getting more help from email groups and my local classical buddies than here. It's easier for me to get an answer elsewhere.

The way it's set up and given that PHP doesn't have endless resources to manage it, I don't see that changing though. Nothing stays the same, does it?

Nothing does. And IME, changes like that happen because of the greater number of people.

I didn't answer the poll, though. I don't post here any less than I ever did. I'm always happy when the discussions are more classical in nature, but between this board (particularly the high school board, where thoughtful discussions seem to occur a bit more frequently) and the LCC yahoo group, my needs are filled.

I am asking you on the forum, in the hopes that it will be the quickest way to get your attention. I unknowingly selected a feature in my poll that shows the posters identities. I wanted this to be an anonymous poll. Is there some way you can change that? If not, can you delete it? Soooo sorry!!

So, I am posting a poll, in the hopes that people will feel more comfortable posting their opinions if they can remain anonymous.

I have no idea how to set up a poll, but this one isn't anonymous. The names of the voters appear when clicking "view poll results." Can you change your poll settings after it starts?

As for making sure I don't miss anything important to me, I like to set my page to show threads by start date (at bottom left of screen). That way, the same ones don't keep popping to the front just because someone else answered. If I want to see what others have said about a topic, I can, but otherwise I can just look for what I am interested in or feel I can answer for someone else. I think a lot of the classical discussion is still here, but there are fewer answers. On the other hand, with PMing, I think sometimes people are still getting their answers, just not on the public forum. It's hard to know.

I posted less on the old boards. I feel that the registration and rep system has helped to create a friendlier atmosphere.

I never thought the old board was very classical. It was heavily traditional, the place to go if you want to teach your kids rigorously, and I still feel that holds true here. I haven't completed an exhaustive search, but this is still the safest place I know of for the draconian homeschooler.

I think that we all are in a summertime frame of mind. Come autumn, we'll all be posting our school issues or stuck at the dining room table with a laptop while our mere presence keeps third graders from wandering into outer space. Then the board will get hopping again.

I didn't post much on the old forum because the format drove.me.nuts. However, I don't think this forum is particularly classically focused.

And I must admit, I wish it was. I have found some good curriculum suggestions, but mot as much discussion on how to implement certain things. Of course, I am also bad about posting my questions, so, oh well. It is still a nice board for support.:001_smile:

First and foremost, I am very thankful for this board. TWTM team is doing the best they can to provide us with a safe place to chat.

As for losing the classical focus... well, I think that there are so many users here that it may happed a bit. However, for the most part, I still see it as very classical. Many other boards seem to be very traditional or unschooly (is that a word:tongue_smilie:) Also, with so many users, you are going to have a variety of "classical styles" so to speak because each family has unique learners and circumstances. I do think we all have the same goal though... which is to provide a top notch education in the safety and loving comfort of our own home.

HAPPY 4TH EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually post more now, and I see more activity now than before. It is much easier to follow threads -- and bump them up. There's not a bunch of spam anymore to sift through either.

I was here on the old boards. I've never been strictly classical, but have also never refuted anything that was strictly classical. I also don't sense the board to have been more classical back in the day. Perhaps the constant flow of new materials in the market has something to do with it?

I just cannot see how a change in format of a board can cause people to stop posting. I do think people are more involved in the general topics as opposed to the educational topics (that forum moves much more quickly). I've also seen the same questions being asked over and over and I suspect that sometimes people get tired of answering the same topic. I'm sure I am guilty of asking repeat questions too.

I think that some of us compare the newer boards (even in the old format) with the "really" old boards 8-9 years ago. I saw a shift in the boards several years after I started frequenting them (1999/2000) even before the new format. Many of the really old timers are gone (or lurking) and their "classically oriented" presence is missed. I can't claim to be pure classical, but it is the goal to which I strive. But it seems that some of the more frequent questions being posed on these newer boards seek curricula in which a very young student can work independently, or curricula that is so watered down in an effort to make it "easy to teach". Or there are the questions wondering why a student should have to take a course he/she isn't interested in. This certainly can't be considered "classical" model schooling, can it?

In the old days, the summertime was the time of great discussion. One had to be prepared to defend an argument about a curriculum - definitely not for the faint of heart! It was the time when we were solidifying our plans and purchasing our curriculum. We had more time on our hands to post because we were done with schooling for the year. I think Dawn made a good observation about the types of questions being posed now. Maybe we don't see our favorite "classicists" much because they are giving someone else an opportunity to answer the questions :-).

Through it all, though, I can honestly say that I get my best information off these boards even though they have changed. Sometimes one has to wade through a lot of drama to find it, but there is always a pearl of wisdom on one of the boards.

I don't know if I think the board is *less* classical or neo-classical now than it was before. Seems to me that for the last several years there has been a wide variety of educational materials/methods discussed here, not just classical.

What *IS* different for me on these new boards is that I don't see the "whole breadth" of experience or trends being presented because I skip over the threads that don't pertain to or interest me. On the old board, I scanned it all and had a better feel for general trends, opinions, new products, etc.

And now to top it all off ... and at the risk of sounding totally like an old fuddy-duddy ... the older I get, the less well I adapt to or enjoy change. Would you believe I'm still missing the old format?!?

I have only been on the boards for about 4 years, maybe a little less. And the help I have found here has been unbelievable. I've followed the post of many people here and I've learned a tremendous amount that benefits me, my kids, and our homeschool. My kids have been blessed by these boards. (Thanks SWB)

My only disappointment is that I've come to realize that my personal philosophy, doesn't seem too acceptable. I can't say it's classical, but I often feel like a bit of an outsider.

I believe kids have to be stretched. I don't understand waiting to teach something until it's easier if they have the ability to grasp it today. I'm sure I come across as aggressive. I know in real life, I am considered an oddity by my homeschooling friends.

My thoughts on how I try to teach really hit home with me last week when I took my kids and nephew to the basketball court to shoot some baskets.

My dd10 did not know how to shoot a ball. She had no clue. Well, we started on the lower goals and she would occasionally hit the rim. She made one or two, but missed most by a mile.

Well, because this park had no shade, we had to move to another park that has a regular sized court. Grown men use it regularly.

Anyway, with a higher goal, she threw the ball higher, and she occasionally hit the rim. She never made a basket, but she was shooting better. She got the benefits of a better physical workout as well.

If my goals for my kids are always just above what they demonstrate, then I feel that I'm not challenging them. I want to teach them to really work at their schoolwork.

And I have been one of those who has looked for independent material that a young child can do. But that was a more a matter of necessity because I had a toddler and a baby and a dh that works all of the time.

So I understand the need to find what will work rather than give up. And the boards have been really helpful in that area too.

I still love the boards and plan to stay. :)

I believe kids have to be stretched. I don't understand waiting to teach something until it's easier if they have the ability to grasp it today. I'm sure I come across as aggressive. I know in real life, I am considered an oddity by my homeschooling friends.

I don't think your beliefs are odd, and I'm surprised you feel out of place here. You would get along great with our family! :001_smile:

I think this forum and the old one, for that matter, are both very true to the ideals of the WTM. What I love about WTM is that it gives you guiding principles to follow, rather than a direct program. Because of that, many people are going to interpret the way to achieve those principles differently. Many take very small portions from the book and use that, some take the whole thing and wouldn't dream of straying from the suggestions. Most of us are somewhere in the middle. And, that is where much of the discussion comes from, discussing what works for others in that middle area.

I am in constant awe of a publisher who will allow discussion and even criticisms of their own materials on the boards that they pay for. To me, that says something of the fact that they value the process of discussion highly. This also is true to the values in WTM. But, I hope we never forget how generous our hosts are to provide this forum for our learning!

So, when these posts come up (and they do at least every year) about how the board has changed, etc...I really don't think they have changed all that much. I have been here for 7+ years, and while people come and go, the board is still a place to get great answers to any topic under the sun, the general board is still silly and makes me laugh every day, the thoughtful curriculum reviews and organizing ideas teach me things every day, and I am a much more inspired and informed teacher because of my time here!!

Amen, Hallelujah, Stepping off my soapbox!

would those of you who are really wanting more classical discussion prefer that those of us who are technically classical find another way to post? Just wondering if maybe there could be another forum added for those of us who aren't technically classical?

I have to say, I really love this board. It is my lifeline to all things homeschooling since I don't have the support here. I try to make sure I only get involved in "discussions" that I can personally add something to (well, except the occasional fun thread on the general board). I'm wanting to contribute, not take away from what is happening here. I don't know how many here are in the same situation as me, maybe there are only a few of us, but, I do appreciate the opportunity to post here! It's been a blessing to me and my family!!!:001_smile:

Well, I said other because I post more now than I did on the other board.

I don't think the discussion, as it pertains to homeschooling, has veered very far from the content when I first started visiting...5 or 6? years ago.

I do think there is a lot more silliness (and certainly politics!) on the general board now. I don't object to that, though there are some positives and some negatives to it.

I have no idea how to set up a poll, but this one isn't anonymous. The names of the voters appear when clicking "view poll results." Can you change your poll settings after it starts?

I don't think so. :confused: I feel so badly about this! I meant it to be anon.

Actually, I think I post with the same frequency, if not more often.

But, what I see that is different is that people seem more interested in formulaic curricula -- materials that do the job without any thought on the part of the parent/teacher or student. People seem to be looking for "no muss/no fuss" approach to rigorous homeschooling, so discussions are only about specific programs. There seem to be fewer discussions about our own desires and philosophies and struggles in creating and implementing our unique homeschooling vision.

The wide variety of options for grammar and history and math and science are wonderful, don't misunderstand me. I'm thankful for all the choices we have and all the recommendations I find here. But, based on the discussions here and on the high school board, it seems there is a mindset that if you plug your child into the right program, you will get your Well Educated Child. Its as if many are simply substituting the public school standardized formula for education with a standardized formula created by some publisher. A true classical education requires more work than that, the tough mental work of wrestling with ideas, of reading, thinking and discussing. We all may be doing this, but we don't talk about it here often enough.

I see this on the high school board too. There was a wonderful philosophical question the other day, and most of those who posted in response saw the original post as a problem that needed to be solved. Use program "x", go to college "y". The thread quickly sank to page 3 oblivion.

It is also the time of year when we are all pouring over the Rainbow Resources catalog, so it is natural that discussions are about specific titles and programs. Perhaps in the bleak of winter when everyone is burned out and stuck inside that the philosophical discussions are more inviting to join in.

Interesting topic!

After a belated and sullen start :glare:, I've come around to preferring the new format--so I didn't answer the poll.

I consider us "classical" homeschoolers, but I can't say we follow WTM exactly or anything. I think that individuation is simply part of homeschooling, and it's a rare family that follows any particular plan exactly. I've got an acclerated son with special needs--so lots of modification going on here! We do Latin, base our structure around a 4-year history schedule... but the grammar/logic stage divide thing is not entirely relevant in our case.

I'm curious--what do you mean that there are fewer classical posts? What exactly makes a thread "classical"? I guess dicussions of Latin are classical regardless... but otherwise, what would the criteria be?

I absolutely detested the old boards and rarely posted because it was so hard to find out what I needed. I also don't frequent email groups for the same way.

I do wish people utilized search more often and added to old threads instead of having multiple threads about the same topic.

1.It's easier to search these boards for specific topics.

2.I rarely posted on the old boards because my computer had difficulty loading the pages.I read the old boards for years but wasn't able to post at all.

3.These boards are easier for me to read.Even if I do have to go back 10 pages.This is just more organized.At least for me.

Imo,the content of the boards hasn't changed much.Well except for people trying to get a certain number of posts or rep points but that doesn't bother me.I just think of it as a game that some people play with more frequency and seriousness than others.

I very occasionally lurked at the old boards, but man was that a pain to read!! I LOVE the new boards. Same thing with vegsource....I tried using it to look for books to buy, and it is just awful. I don't know how people use that kind of format :confused::confused: I'm obviously missing something b/c so many people do, but it just seems way too confusing and hard to read.

I'm curious as to what makes some people think this format is less classical then the other one.

I used to visit the old boards and it is there that I got the support and encouragement I needed to start my homeschooling adventure.

Due to many things, I stopped visiting as often until I rediscovered the boards (in their new form) this year. Now I am finding the same support and encouragement that I need at this particular point in the adventure.

:001_smile:

(And I think I post as much now as I did on the old boards, if not more.)

:bigear:

I'm curious--what do you mean that there are fewer classical posts? What exactly makes a thread "classical"? I guess dicussions of Latin are classical regardless... but otherwise, what would the criteria be?

People have different ideas of what "classical" education means. No, I don't think this new board has strayed compared to the old boards.

If you read the Calvert School catalog, it states that their curricula is classical, but it's it? I wouldn't define Calvert School as classical but as traditional.

I post, I think, about the same as before. I find that so many of the questions have been asked & answered before so I don't respond.

My advice - take it or leave it - :D

DO a board SEARCH before you ask your questions;

DO a little RESEARCH on your own and narrow down your choices;

DO RESPOND back so people know if you've even bothered to read the responses;

DO leave POSITIVE REP. for those who have tried to help you

LISA NY - I appreciate your time and effort on these boards! :grouphug:

I voted 'Other'. I've never posted a lot on the curr. boards either way, mostly because I have younger children and don't have enough experience with many programs to offer much in the way of wisdom. :001_smile:

I don't know if the new boards are "less classical" than the old ones were, those weren't always very classical in focus either (neo-classical maybe). I do think that as some of the earlier classical homeschoolers, those that were basically doing WTM before there was a WTM, who sort of rediscovered classical ed. on their own, have left the community, there's an increasingly dependence on choosing the perfect curriculum and programs rather than on developing as a teacher who can teach Latin, logic, rhetoric, the Great Books...perhaps.

I do think this is a great place to find out about a wide variety of programs, classical and otherwise. But for discussions of classical methodology, vision, and structure (and I'm using classical in the traditional way, ala LCC), I have other loops and such that fill that niche. But this place can't be beat for advice from sheer numbers of people who have used different curricula and in a variety of ways.

Jami

I can't say whether the board is more or less classical than it used to be. I have read here on and off for a few years, but I was never really involved and didn't even register until very recently.

I know that one thing I feel the lack of here is a forum to discuss only the grammar stage. I know we have the curriculum board, but to me that does not address the need to really discuss the in-depth, nitty-gritty, philosophically based everyday reality of homeschooling two grammar-stage kids. I feel limited in the curriculum board to asking only about curricula, and anything that I have posted in the general board that actually pertains to homeschooling and not to politics, news stories, or parenting issues has gotten pushed down a few pages pretty quickly.

Tara

WTM is really a jumping off point and a guide for so many people. They don't follow it to a T nor is WTM a true hard core classical model anyway. I went to a "true" classical homeschooling workshop last year and WTM is not even close to that model.

I think it's more important for this board to be an active vibrant homeschooling community that helps and guides people in some of the ways of the WTM rather than sticking to any "label" or only allowing discussion of certain degrees of "classicalness" ;)

If someone wants to start their own board to be "more classical" I'm sure some people would follow you over.

I went to a "true" classical homeschooling workshop last year and WTM is not even close to that model.

Can you elaborate on this? Classical education is new idea for me, so I'm curious as to how WTM differs from what you call "true" classical.

Tara :)

I vastly prefer this board.

In fact, I wrote Tim 4 years ago pleading he adopt vBulletin (which is now being used). I only read the old boards (never posted) and was frustrated by the lack of "search" and the way cotentially valuable information "disappeared".

I'm also pleased that the "culture" on the boards appears to have become much more inclusive than in the past.

All trends are positive IMO.

Bill (who now is actually posting)

Can you elaborate on this? Classical education is new idea for me, so I'm curious as to how WTM differs from what you call "true" classical.

I am not well read enough (or argumentative enough) to attempt to authoritatively define "true classical," but I will explain the argument between one group of classical ed'ers and the other. Essentially, one camp uses the classical trivium as content (we will teach a grammar class) and the other as a method (we will teach grammar stage kids via memorization).

Erica in PA posted recently, asking about other forums, since she was having trouble getting feedback on some of her questions. These boards move so quickly. This post then lead to a discussion on how these new forums are less Classical/less focused, more "generic" than the old boards.

This bothers me greatly, as I would hate to see this board lose its Classical focus. I know there was a thread several months ago about this. I am wondering if there were people who wanted to respond to the thread, but opted out.

So, I am posting a poll, in the hopes that people will feel more comfortable posting their opinions if they can remain anonymous. I would really like to see if there are people out there who are Classical, but post less here because they feel that the boards just don't apply to them anymore.

And, if that *is* the case. What can we do about it? Personally, I have always tried to maintain the "pay it forward" principle. I have been helped by so many dear people here over the years, that when I have the opportunity to give some of that back, I do. If it means taking time out of my busy day, then so be it. Others have done the same for me. :001_smile:

EDITED: THE ADMIN FIXED THE POLL, SO IT IS NOW ANONYMOUS.

I guess I've just learned by watching, that the general board is just not the place to go anymore if you want to get a bunch of feedback for something you are wondering about in homeschooling. I've tried a few times, but pretty much give up when it slides down the page count. OTOH, I use the curric. and high school boards more, because I mostly come here for homeschooling help. And of those two boards, I use whatever one I think will generate the feedback I'm looking for, even though my kids aren't nearly at high school level yet.

Another thing I've learned is that if I still need more help on a particular thread I've created, I can just bump it up. Sometimes I'm reluctant to do that, because I don't want to appear rude, but sometimes I have to tell myself, "just bump it up - you need the help!" Or "bump it up, because you want to hear the other WTM success stories, and maybe someone else wants to read more, but is too shy to bump it up!"

I even made a post awhile ago asking for encouragement from fellow WTM-style people - I needed the encouragement, and even more, I needed to know who some of the other posters were that I could go to in the future for help. Sometimes you just have to get yourself out there and ASK, ASK, ASK until you get the help you need. And that post you created awhile ago, LisaNY, about who some other WTM people were - that really helped me. Maybe we should bump that up every so often, to encourage those who may not be posting. :) There are all sorts of homeschoolers here, and we need to be able to find the ones we need the help from, without feeling like we are stepping on another's toes.

AND I have noticed lately that there are new posters who are trying to apply the principles in WTM (or other classical-ed books in general), who are asking the same kinds of questions that I asked a few years ago. So I jump in there and try to help out when I have something to contribute - to encourage those posters to keep coming back, so they feel comfortable asking questions, too.

Over the years, I have read many posts that, and rightly so, people don't need to use WTM rigidly. But when I was starting out, reading this kind of comment on the WTM classically oriented boards (my interpretation of the board descriptions) discouraged me. I NEEDED to use WTM rather rigidly (and still do for some things). Otherwise, I would NOT have known how to go about giving my kids the education I wanted to give them. So I want to help the newer person along, knowing that in the process, that person will make it work for her family.

Sorry if this seems disjointed, lots of activity going on in the background! But I sure hope this poll/thread helps some of those classical lurkers to come out of hiding. :)

I'm also pleased that the "culture" on the boards appears to have become much more inclusive than in the past.

I completely agree with this statement.

As far as losing its classical roots, well, I've been reading these boards for at least 5 years, and I don't see much of a change in that direction. If it has lost its roots, I think it must have happened long before I started reading. It has its cycles, where sometimes math is the big topic. And then grammar gets its fifteen minutes, then Latin. An ebb and flow of sorts.

I agree with other posters regarding the increased participation naturally "diluting" the subject matter. But there is also the increasing number of homeschooling curricula to be discussed. There are more options out there every year, and certainly more than there was when these boards began. And with the ease of website creation, even the little companies can get their product out for the world to see.

It's possible that we lose sight of the forest for all the trees. I would love to see more philosophical discussions on these boards, because "classical" is more a philosophy than any set of curricula. Even SWB hesitated to list particular products in her book, because she didn't want the focus to be put on them. But the actual programs are the nitty gritty of how we get it done, so it's only natural to spend lots of time discussing them. And because these products are used by classical homeschoolers as well as traditional / eclectic / etc., many people will be drawn to these boards because they are chock full of great information. And so the spiral continues.

would those of you who are really wanting more classical discussion prefer that those of us who are technically classical find another way to post?

(did you mean "aren't technically classical"? If so, then...) NO WAY!!! :) I like reading the variety of posts here! And it DOES serve a purpose to people who would be otherwise isolated (I'm somewhat isolated, so I can somewhat relate to what you said about that). I just want to still see those meaty discussions about classical (neo-classical, WTM-style, whatever) education/methods/philosophies here, since that's the advertising that drew me to the boards in the first place.

I feel limited in the curriculum board to asking only about curricula, and anything that I have posted in the general board that actually pertains to homeschooling and not to politics, news stories, or parenting issues has gotten pushed down a few pages pretty quickly.

Tara

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

That happened to my non-specific-curriculum questions, too. I thought, why bother next time?

I don't know why they don't just take all homeschool-related posts *off* the general board. It's a whole different crowd than those who "hang" on the curriculum board. I do lurk there, and occasionally post; but only when I'm still hiding from my dc, and am *really* tired of talking curriculum!

(of course, I used to think the same thing on the old board; but then, I got to put my post where I felt most comfortable with the people who would be answering)

As to why I may not post as much, it is *much* less common to get at least a "TY! - nt"; and I hate to sound petty, but that hurts a bit. Also, we just had *fun* on the old board - there was more of a comraderie; now I sometimes feel like I come here out of duty (well, maybe habit, too).

But, I think some of the feeling of this being "less Classical" may be because certain very popular posters have done a real about-face in their methods. First, being very strict about following WTM; now, broadening out and trying some new things. And, others have followed suit. And, all this seemed to have happened right after the board changed.

I personally don't think that the ones I'm thinking of *are* "less Classical"; they are simply adapting WTM to them, rather than the other way around. Which, as SWB would be the first to point out, that's the way it *should* be. (nor is WTM the only "Classical" track out there, either)

Back to reading "Song of Hiawatha" for me~

Rhonda

Frankly, I was surprised to see how many people *like* to see threads jumping all around!!!!

I must be a much more visual person than even *I* knew. I admit I *knew* where every post was on the curriculum board - I could even go back a couple of months and know by the top post if the post I was looking for was on that page! (too wierd, I know)

Anyway, it *really* bothers me that this post is no longer "above" your "poll below", so I'm bumping this up for you! =)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

As to why I may not post as much, it is *much* less common to get at least a "TY! - nt"; and I hate to sound petty, but that hurts a bit. Also, we just had *fun* on the old board - there was more of a comraderie; now I sometimes feel like I come here out of duty (well, maybe habit, too).

Rhonda, are you referring to times when you respond to posts asking questions, or for help, and the OP doesn't check back? If so, then I know what you mean. I complained about drive-by posters on the old board, and asked them to at least check back to acknowledge that people had taken time to answer their questions. It is actually happening a lot more here, I am finding. I must admit, I feel a little used. LOL! I mean, you can't even say "thank you"? - Does it always have to be "wham bam, thank you mam"? LOL

I notice those who post and never return. And I must say that I don't always bother to take the time to answer their posts.

Rhonda, are you referring to times when you respond to posts asking questions, or for help, and the OP doesn't check back? If so, then I know what you mean. I complained about drive-by posters on the old board, and asked them to at least check back to acknowledge that people had taken time to answer their questions. It is actually happening a lot more here, I am finding. I must admit, I feel a little used. LOL! I mean, you can't even say "thank you"? - Does it always have to be "wham bam, thank you mam"? LOL

I notice those who post and never return. And I must say that I don't always bother to take the time to answer their posts.

Yes, and I would like to think the Rep points could remedy that, but they don't. The homeschool gurus on the high school board (usually) still have one green square, because they aren't posting on the general board. It just doesn't seem fair (boy, I really need to get off the board and start reading Hiawatha!!!!) - I'm definitely pms'ing - can you tell?

Really, truly, this is it - Well......just a quick check on the high school board!!!!

:001_smile:

Rhonda

I've not looked at this board all that often since my son started high school; life is too busy and there's only so much time. I come here mostly to read about new curriculum, and sometimes ask questions for friends with younger children. However, I'll say that I've been around long enough to see several changes come and go with regard to the nature of posts. These boards tend to go in cycles, and I've never been able to nail down one single definition of "real" classical. I can even remember when the HS board moved veeery slowly!

My take on the new board format?

1. The fact that posters have to register is a plus as are some of the other features such as a better search.

2. It's surely my limitations showing here, but the old format made it easier to check in daily or even every few days, find where I'd left off reading and see everything that had been posted since then. I could tell pretty quickly whether or not I had anything to learn from or contribute to any particular thread or post, and choose to read those that interested me, and ignore those that didn't.

3. On the old boards, I felt confident that I'd not missed any pertinent threads and wasn't as concerned that I might be making a redundant post. The new format has some real positives but it does not work easily with the way my brain organizes information.

4. When it comes to the question of using classical methods vs. before the '60's traditional, or more modern methods I have to say that for my family, life has had a way of intruding over the years. There are times when I've had to make curriculum choices that I felt were less than perfect because of our life situation at that point. Also, I've found that as my son gets closer to college we have to make some adjustments because there are some aspects of classical that have to be tweaked or repackaged when dealing with folks who have a different perspective. I've taken valuable insights from all the different models of neo-classical we have to choose from.

SWB and the folks at PHP have put a lot of work into these boards, and I appreciate that. I have been blessed with the fellowship of homeschool friends IRL, but there's nothing quite like the Hive Mind's virtual teacher's lounge. :001_smile:

As a mom who's about to reach the end of our formal years of home schooling, I want to encourage younger parents; classical methods thoughtfully chosen and diligently applied work beautifully even when your implementation is not perfect.

I feel limited in the curriculum board to asking only about curricula, and anything that I have posted in the general board that actually pertains to homeschooling and not to politics, news stories, or parenting issues has gotten pushed down a few pages pretty quickly.

Tara

I wondered about this, too, when I first started reading/posting a few years ago. To me, the board descriptions are pretty clear. Curriculum board is to talk about curriculum, and the general board is to talk about classical-related methods, questions about it, etc., and at the end of the general board description, it says a blurb about general chatting. But I hardly ever see methodology/etc. related topics on the general board, so I use the curriculum board for that, since I've seen others doing it.

The few times I've posted on the general board, it got lost. Recently I read a book about how to learn a foreign language. It was so similar to WTM in its methodical approach, that I wrote a review of it in case anyone else wanted to read. The book didn't recommend specific books to buy, it just told, extensively, HOW to learn a language. I thought, "wow, this would fit in perfectly over at the WTM boards, it could generate a good discussion about learning foreign languages." So I posted on the curric. board and had a few replies, and on the general board where it quickly slid into oblivion. So much for discussing methodology on the board where it should happen! I was disappointed, because I would LOVE to have talked with others here about foreign language learning. I even tried to word my post title in a way that would catch interest (I've discovered that is key, too, to generating replies that you are looking for). I'm desperately trying to piece together a Spanish program for us, without blindly buying a "program" and this book really helped me dig beneath the surface. So when I put the Learnables together with Practical Spanish Grammar over the next four years, I know WHY I'm experimenting with this, thanks to that book that explained it all to me. And I'll know how to tweak it instead of saying "well, that program didn't work, let's toss it." THIS is the kind of stuff I look for on these boards. How to implement methods and programs and make them work for what I am trying to accomplish. The WTM has given me the framework, now I just need the ongoing support.

EDIT: one more thing I meant to say is, I guess the thing *I* can personally do is, to try again on the general board if I wanted to, and just keep bumping my post up to see if it catches any discussion interest. I did have the option of not letting it slide into oblivion. Which is another reason why these forums are so wonderful, there is freedom as long as we are responsible.