Menu

How much time do you (parent) spend on Home Ed?

Guest clearskies

Guest clearskies

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to WTM. I've read the book and read through some threads here. I have a dd5 and a dd3, who are both still in school/nursery in the UK (West Yorks). I am planning at the moment on pulling them out within the next year.

One question I have is - how much time per day do you spend as a parent on "doing" WTM with your children? I imagine this varies from parent to parent, and from curriculum to curriculum - I just want to guage it so I know what to expect at the various ages!

Thankyou in advance!

* On having read some responses I thought I would clarify that I don't mean how many hours per day the child spends on study - I mean how much time do you as a parent spend per day on homeschooling - thanks!

Edited by clearskies
To clarify my question

At that age, an hour to an hour and a half.

I just today looked at our plan for third grade, and my son will be doing 4 hours of school, but I should only be needed for 2 hours. My K'er will need me for his whole time, so hour to an hour and a half. That included read aloud times, btw.

In K - 1st, I spend about 1 - 1.5 hours a day, but only about 30 minutes of that is seatwork.

From 2nd - 5th that goes up to 2 - 3 hours.

In middle school, my kids usually work up to about 4 - 6 hours a day.

High school is tough to gauge and depends on the kid and their goals. I'd say that 9th grade starts at about 7 hours a day. This past semester, my oldest was on campus all day twice a week from 8am to 8pm, did schoolwork until mid afternoon the other three days of the week and studied over the weekends.

The usual advice is grade + 1. So in K5 basically 1 hour. In 1st around 2 hours, that sort of thing. For us it was broken up into short sessions and we did a lot of read alouds that were technically school but didn't feel that way. I'd let her play in the yard while I read to her, that sort of thing. :)

The real issue is to give *yourself* time to plan. If you do things eclectically, that's where the time is, sigh. Of course now they have a lot of options that weren't out when I started with my dd. The more open and go it is, the less time you spend planning and fretting. Just saying. :)

K/1 this year we spent an average of 45-1 hour in "active" lessons. Another hour or two in activites that could be considered "learning time" but where we arn't sitting down having a "lesson".

4th grade this year we spent an average of 2-3:30 hours on active lessons and another hour or two in activities that could be considered "learning time".

I personally average in a typical week an hour reviewing workbooks,correcting papers and organizing supplies/activities.

In a typical week I spend an hour-90 minutes lesson planning.