Menu

dumb question of the day....ice cream makers

is the main reason for a fancy ice cream maker to freeze the ice cream mixture quickly? I ask, becasue I was wondering if I could make a ice cream mixture and then just put it in the freezer overnight and have ice cream...or is there some sort of "magic" that happens while that mixture is turning around in the ice cream maker??

The movement adds air and keeps the mixture from developing large crystals. It's not so much magic as mechanical. If you make ice cream in a container in the freezer, you'll want to go in periodically and rake it with a fork while it freezes. :D

The spinning action makes the ice cream smoother (more air whipped in, freezes less dense), but you can make ice cream by freezing a bag of it. You can even take it out of the freezer every so often and squish it up and stick it back in.

It won't be exactly the same (it will be denser), but it will taste good.

Hmmmmmm. Probably. The cocoa may settle at (what is ultimately) the top of them a bit. And I think there are stabilizers in fudgesicles that keep them creamy and not icy. Does the mixture have egg yolks? I think a custard base would work better than an eggless one.

would using the mix (prior to putting it in the ice cream maker) make good fudgesicles? (I am sure that is not spelled right....sorry)....

I saw a recipe for fudgesicles on pinterest: mix 1/3 cup Nutella for 1 cup milk, freeze in popsicle holders. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm dieing to.

:001_smile:

I thought it was breaking up the ice crystals, instead of allowing them to set. You can also stick your spoon in and move it around while freezing to avoid the ice cube phenomenon. Or scratch at it to get a granita texture.

I think premium ice creams don't have much air, whereas the cheaper ones are softer and full of much more air.

What about freezing chocolate pudding?