Menu

You NEED to have this audio version of Pilgrim's Progress-my kids are begging for it!

HappyGrace

I am so, so excited about this! It is a practically unabridged version of Pilgrim's Progress on CD, with very slight amplification of the Old English (I mean VERY slight, just enough to make it flow.) It is dramatized, with 77 actors playing the parts of 100 different characters! The dramatization is just right-not overly distracting, etc. (Christian's voice can get a little dramatic but my kids love it.)

My 12 yo and 9 yo are literally begging for this in the car. We get where we're going and sometimes sit there and listen a little longer! They are gathering all the wonderful literature and spiritual truths of this amazing book. I cannot recommend it highly enough! CBD has it for $24.99, but here is the main site for it. (They also have a lovely coloring book you can get to go with it.)

Please note that this is also the audio version of Pilgrim's Progress that Ambleside Online recommends, which is where I first heard of it.

http://www.orionsgate.org/audio/index.html

I am so, so excited about this! It is a practically unabridged version of Pilgrim's Progress on CD, with very slight amplification of the Old English (I mean VERY slight, just enough to make it flow.) It is dramatized, with 77 actors playing the parts of 100 different characters! The dramatization is just right-not overly distracting, etc. (Christian's voice can get a little dramatic but my kids love it.)

My 12 yo and 9 yo are literally begging for this in the car. We get where we're going and sometimes sit there and listen a little longer! They are gathering all the wonderful literature and spiritual truths of this amazing book. I cannot recommend it highly enough! CBD has it for $24.99, but here is the main site for it. (They also have a lovely coloring book you can get to go with it.)

Please note that this is also the audio version of Pilgrim's Progress that Ambleside Online recommends, which is where I first heard of it.

This may have been the one my son had years ago. He wore the tapes out. It became a neighborhood joke, that he listened to it so many times. There was a frequently visiting pastor to our church, that was also a college professor and he thought people were making jokes about my son and the CD. When he found out is was true, then he got all weirded out about it :-0

The dramatized KJV and the dramatized Pilgrim's Progress trained my son to be what I call bilingual, and led to him being able to effortlessly tackle the older dialect of many of the Great Books.

Dramatized Pilgrim's Progress

:thumbup:

Edited by Hunter

The dramatized KJV and the dramatized Pilgrim's Progress trained my son to be what I call bilingual, and led to him being able to effortlessly tackle the older dialect of many of the Great Books.

:iagree: Once they can handle that, the rest is easy!

BTW, which dramatized KJV did you like, if you remember?

:iagree: Once they can handle that, the rest is easy!

BTW, which dramatized KJV did you like, if you remember?

We had a couple different ones and I have searched endlessly for the one by a Shakespearean company, with no luck. The one with the southern accents is best left back in the 1990's where it belongs :-)

I have to get this! It sounds great! My boys listen to KJV Bible every morning. My older son prefers to read KJV Bible because it looks classic.

For moms who ONLY assign unabridged "Great Books" for literature, PP, Aesop and the Bible are pretty much all the little ones have.

I used to be REALLY rigid about literature read during "school". If it wasn't a "Great Book", Loeb Classic, or the Bible, it wasn't likely to be approved. I remember my older son launching a campaign to include Dickens into the curriculum. He gathered aunts, uncles and neighbors to plead his case on the merits of "classic" literature. He even wrote me a persuasive essay. Finally he convinced himself that Dickens was so great, he decided it was worth reading in his free time. I bought him a couple nice hardcovers for Christmas.

PP, Aesop and KJV all get :thumbup: from me even in my most rigid phases.

I really used to be a stick in the mud. Now I read Winnie the Pooh to my students. Age mellows a person. I was talking to my older son recently about something with a student, and he yelled, "not fair" the way old children react to the leniency shown younger siblings. It was funny.

That's our family favourite PP audio !

& Part II, Christiana's story, is just as good.