• Colored tips
    • Bangs and layers
    • Shoulder length and dark
    • Blue straks in dark hair
    • Purple
    • Dark and thick layers
    • A little darker with big curls and a little shorter
    • Where are the kilt pictures?

I have to do something different with my hair. I dyed it last year with fairly disastrous results-my red turned a very ugly purple. I have always wanted to dye my hair a funky color, but never got around to it. I've had pretty much the same natural color and cut my entire adult life. I failed trying blonde once as the stylist seemed to have no idea what to do. My hair is naturally wavy/curly. My skin tone is warmish (green veins) and I was blonde until 4th-5th grade. I can't do super short hair. I look like a boy. :tongue_smilie:

This is what I have now: (a couple years old-I'm allergic to pictures)

IMG_0719.jpg

This is what I'm thinking (first 6 are my mom's choices she liked best):

Choice #1: http://pinterest.com/pin/206180489161021365/

Choice #2: http://pinterest.com/pin/125819383309871519/

Choice #3: http://pinterest.com/pin/125819383309871599/

Choice #4: http://pinterest.com/pin/207165651579529207/

Choice #5: blink

Choice #6: http://pinterest.com/pin/125819383309988438/

Choice #7: http://pinterest.com/pin/207165651579529204/

Choice #8: http://pinterest.com/pin/206180489160903192/

I've always wanted to color my hair an unusual color, just once. So I voted purple, only because the others are 'typical' (but still beautiful). I dyed my hair black in high school and even with olive skin I looked pale. I don't think I'll do that again. Next I'd say the light brown/blonde.

I like #3 and #8 of the links.

I do not like hair colors not found in nature unless it's a temporary thing for Halloween or maybe a night out on the town.

Ombre hair coloring might look really cute on you. See here for a pic of Jessica Biel with ombre coloring.

I voted the colored tips! What I love about that is it's fun, but you don't have to keep up with roots. Plus, if you hate it, you can chop them off.

My DH wants me to dye my hair purple, but I'm a chicken. Maybe I'll do the tips and surprise him. :)

Have you heard of this?

http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/01/chalk-it-up/

If you use chalk pastels and use a spray bottle of water and wet your hair you can streak your hair and set it with a flat iron or a curling iron and it washes out. I haven't tried it yet. I want to but I don't have pastels chalks yet. I guess you can't do it everyday, but you can try on a look.

I like # 2.

I liked the Lauren Conrad one, The Zooey Deschanel one and the last one too. If you want to do streaks of color in your hair, you can get extensions in all kinds of colors. To actually dye your hair one of those funky colors, you would have to bleach your hair first and then dye it. A lot of those colors fade really quickly so I would be reticent to do it. There is a site called Doctored locks and you can get really nice extensions there in custom lengths. They also have some really good DIY videos on youtube showing you how to install them yourself at home. If you want to do the multiple funky colors that might be a good way to go since they have so many color choices and you can wash and style their extensions like you do your own hair. :)

I like #3 and #8 of the links.

I do not like hair colors not found in nature unless it's a temporary thing for Halloween or maybe a night out on the town.

Ombre hair coloring might look really cute on you. See here for a pic of Jessica Biel with ombre coloring.

I like the look of ombre hair too. :). The only problem with it though is that the style was super trendy last year. To get it now when the trend is already passing makes one look really late to the party. The colored streaks or the blonde or brunette styles aren't going to go away anywhere soon. :)

From KBB, 2nd dd of Pax RoMamma,

I hope it's OK that I jump in on this conversation? I get so stoked when it comes to color!

The vivid colors rock! Seriously, waay cool, especially the dark with blue in the fringe/bang area.

If you're going to go with fun, go fun. Right before graduation cosmetology school I did purple streaks on my back panel (from the nape to the crown) it was pretty sweet, especially when I pulled my hair up in curls, or did the beach waves. If you're gonna do it, there's no time like the present.

Tips are going to fade pretty fast, since they're exposed to sunlight, and the vivid colors fade if your hair is porous (dry, brittle, fragile from over coloring, etc.), if you swim often, if you use warm or hot water to shower and don't use (preferably salon) color protecting shampoo (I'm not saying that just bc graduated cos. school either. The salon shamp. is gonna preserve and be more gentle on the color than over the counter stuff)

Going a solid color, like the magenta, you're gonna have to do double process/ double step coloring (blonding/bleaching and then depositing the magenta color, which may or may not take like the picture depicts). You're gonna have a harsh line of demarcation when it grows out - obvious new growth, and it's going to fade, fast, especially if you're and outdoorsy girl or go swimming. Not to mention double process coloring damages and dries out the hair a lot more.

(note: artificial hair colors, especially reds, violets, green, blues, pinks fade faster when you use warmer or hot water. Use cool water, especially if you have reds and blondes together - keeps the color from bleeding as bad)

You've already got darker hair, and your skin looks like it would be nicely complimented with a darker color. If you go darker, and do colored streaks/ highlights/ tips (or all three) the color fading or new growth won't be as obvious (especially if you do a heavy to micro low lights - lots of dark highlights - with the blue as accent or peek-a-boo slices. That's totally in right now! The reason I mentioned doing the low-lights is because its highlighting but with a darker than natural hair color, so you have a lot more dimension than just black with some blue, and the new growth line is a lot less obvious.

(note: dark colors give off a more mature persona, and people with darker hair are psychologically perceived to be more serious / dramatic. Adding vibrant colors gives people the sense that you have a fun, rather sporadic, vibrant personality.)

Whatever color you go with, please, please get a legit color protecting shampoo, and preferably conditioner. Your color won't fade as fast, and it's gentler, not to mention more conditioning to the hair. Also, if you use hot tools to flat iron/ straighten or use a hot tool of any kind, a thermal protecting spray or gloss will help to seal in the color (placing heat on the colored hair causes fading) and protect your hair from as much heat damage (it won't be as dry or frizz as much)

Fashion Tip: violets and purples are the hot color for this Summer and fall.

I love these kinds of conversations... Sorry if I come across as a know-it-all or anything. I just really do love hair, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE doing FUN colors (my next adventure/ color goal is to do some reds with grape purple panel and really lighten up blonde on top... it's SO much fun! ;) :lol::lol::lol:

Sincerely, KBB

Cosmetologist, future R.N. student, lovin' life!

I like the look of ombre hair too. :). The only problem with it though is that the style was super trendy last year. To get it now when the trend is already passing makes one look really late to the party. The colored streaks or the blonde or brunette styles aren't going to go away anywhere soon. :)

Ombre hair is still around, but it's now called "dip dye". See here.

Ombre hair is still around, but it's now called "dip dye". See here.

I had no idea! Shows what I know. :p I just heard some fashionistas talking a couple of weeks ago about how ombre hair is "so out" now, but they didn't mention dip dying. That's cool. I do really love the ombre effect too. :)

What color are your eyes? Several of the really dark hair pictures have blue eyes which make the hair color dramatic

Blue/Green mix. It changes more one or the other sometimes. :)

You all are awesome. Laughing Lioness-that's a lot of good advice. Do you recommend any particular shampoo/conditioner for dry hair? Preferably an inexpensive one?

I have had black hair before-in junior high. It actually looked pretty good on me. I looked slightly vampirish, but I have inconsolably pale skin that burns easily but is somehow sallow. So that really doesn't make a difference no matter my hair color! My dad has the same skin tone as I do and he has black hair (Irish) and he looks great. My mom is a blonde, as was I as a child (think Shirley Temple golden curls).

Edited by mommymilkies

I love the Zooey Deschanel cut and stole it to take to my haircut today.

I also really like the colored tips. One thing I like is that, if you hate it... I think a fix would be easy.

Let us know how it looks! :D

I think I'm gonna start with colored tips. It would be easy to fix if it looks bad and the dye fades out in 5-24 washes. We'll see after that. I would like to go lighter but I have no idea how to. Can I just get a box from the store and do it that way? I won't go to a studio. I've had too many bad dye/cut jobs that way!

I think I'm gonna start with colored tips. It would be easy to fix if it looks bad and the dye fades out in 5-24 washes. We'll see after that. I would like to go lighter but I have no idea how to. Can I just get a box from the store and do it that way? I won't go to a studio. I've had too many bad dye/cut jobs that way!

If you want to go lighter, you have to use a bleach. You can get those at Sallys. :) First you bleach the hair until it is the lightness you want then you have to add in the color you want so you would still need a dye. It's best if you can get it done in a salon (or have a friend help you at home), but there are tons of videos up on youtube on how to do it yourself too. :) Good luck with whatever you choose to go with. Post pics! :)

I love it. My hair is still long, mid-back. The long layers and the bangs give it a style. But the bangs are still long enough that I can braid them or pin them back to work out.

Pics! Pics! Pics! Pics! :D Sounds lovely.

I really want to do something different with my hair too. It's too long, too straight and too boring. Time for a change, but I don't know what. :(

Yay! I have been wondering what you would choose. Here is another picture: http://ellegirl.elle.com/teen-fashion/2011/lauren-conrad-dip-dyes-her-hair-how-to-get-the-look/

I would totally do it, with those colors too, if I had long hair. I don't think you get the same effect with short hair.

No. no.

I do not understand what is wrong with (some members of) your gender.

You look good already. Colored tips? Did that ever look good on anyone (save perhaps George Clinton)?

If your bored, maybe get a new handbag? :D

Bill

securedownload.jpg

OK. Here, I think, is a picture of my new "do".... Interpreted by my stylist from the Zooey Deschanel picture. It's a subtle difference, but I like it.

You look fantastic!! Your hair looks beautiful and very healthy too. :)

Erica-it looks fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing the picture. Your hair looks just like my daughter's. :)

Spy Car :lol: It is a female mental disease, probably. BUT I haven't done anything to my hair in ages, and I'm sick of people assuming my religious and/or political stance by my hair. No joke. That and it just feels like time for a change.

Unfortunately :crying: my haircut was terrible, so I had to cut about 5" more off than I wanted to. It's to my shoulders now. I know I considered going this short, but I don't like my hand forced. I miss my long hair! The bleach also didn't take on my ends. I have the colors (Punky) on their way to my house. Here's hoping for less disasters!

Unfortunately :crying: my haircut was terrible, so I had to cut about 5" more off than I wanted to. It's to my shoulders now. I know I considered going this short, but I don't like my hand forced. I miss my long hair! The bleach also didn't take on my ends. I have the colors (Punky) on their way to my house. Here's hoping for less disasters!

Oh nooooooooooooo!!!!! :ohmy: I'm so sorry. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: That stinks when they mess up your hair. :( I always cut my own hair for that very same reason. :( Hopefully the dye comes out at least. Are you doing it yourself?

My hair (in its natural form) sounds very similar to yours. I started coloring mine black years ago and love it! I have very pale skin with olive undertones, so black works for me, albeit, better in fall/winter than spring/summer. Perhaps go black with the colorful ends for summer then all black for cooler months?