Menu

Which Sonlight Booklist goes with ECC 4th grade?

I am considering using MFW ECC this year with my rising 4th grader. I have heard that Sonlight's booklists are all the rave and would like to use some of the books from Sonlight in our book basket.

I just can't seem to figure out which Core goes with ECC, can someone help me with this?

Core F is the core that focuses on various cultures. However, there are books in other cores that would fit too. i.e.: The Lion Storyteller Book from Core P4/5 has tales from other cultures. My 12 year old enjoyed hearing them (remembering them from years ago), right along with my 8 year old. Another would be A Grain of Rice from Core A. Then Little Pear and Owls in the Family from Core B; both of these are listed in the lists in the ECC book lists already, and there are more.

I would request a free catalog from Sonlight and then look through the booklists.

HTH!

Core F is the core that focuses on various cultures. However, there are books in other cores that would fit too. i.e.: The Lion Storyteller Book from Core P4/5 has tales from other cultures. My 12 year old enjoyed hearing them (remembering them from years ago), right along with my 8 year old. Another would be A Grain of Rice from Core A. Then Little Pear and Owls in the Family from Core B; both of these are listed in the lists in the ECC book lists already, and there are more.

I would request a free catalog from Sonlight and then look through the booklists.

HTH!

Also Stories From Around the World from P4/5, New Toes For Tia, and Granny Han's Breakfast. The last 2 of these books are missionary books. The Family Under the Bridge takes place in Paris.

I am wondering if the Core F booklist might be to difficult or boring to my 9 year old, 4th grader.

I don't think it would be boring at all.

As far as reading levels go, SL lists the reading levels on their website if you click on the link for the booklists under each core. You'll see a complete description of each book and also the "age" the book is appropriate if read aloud too. It's a big help!

I'd also look at Core A.

I think your idea is great. You should get a lot of helpful posts here for adding SL books.

I am considering using MFW ECC this year with my rising 4th grader. I have heard that Sonlight's booklists are all the rave and would like to use some of the books from Sonlight in our book basket.

I just can't seem to figure out which Core goes with ECC, can someone help me with this?

Perhaps add some of the read alouds out of core A to your book basket, and then select whatever grabs your fancy in B & D, from the advanced readers book lists.

My suggestion would be to pre-read many of the books from the Core F selection before handing to a younger child (just our experience ;) )

Edited by tuesdayschild

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked out the book basket list in the back of your TM? I am switching from SL to MFW K & ECC, and will not be feeling the need anymore to supplement, there are SO many titles in the BB! Just my .02. I mean I always try to pick up SL books at Half Price Books, but I no longer feel like I HAVE to!