Menu

Reading for 5th grader in year 3 of history cycle?

We'll be in year 3 of the history cycle, and I was wondering how the WTM literature selections for logic year 3 will be for a decent 5th grade reader. He reads well but doesn't love it.

If this list is too advanced, do you have other suggestions?

Thanks!

bumping, too!

Hmmm... I just looked through. I think some would be just fine... if you can find them in editions with larger print, like Tom Sawyer and Alice. Other's would be just too hard, but you might want to consider having him read along with the book on tape if you can find them.

Since they are seventh grade, I think that is a pretty good estimate of when a strong reader could handle these books.

If he hasn't read Johnny Tremain, you could add that in and other historical fiction... though it might be better to read fewer books in the actual list in the original edition. Or you could read them aloud. That would work, too.

We'll be in year 3 of the history cycle, and I was wondering how the WTM literature selections for logic year 3 will be for a decent 5th grade reader. He reads well but doesn't love it.

If this list is too advanced, do you have other suggestions?

Thanks!

I was really torn, because my 4th grader probably *could* have handled some of the 7th grade books - but my older son could read them so much faster. And, they are so competitive ~ So, last year, I let my younger son read the abridged versions.

But, next year, he'll be in 5th, and he'll be reading the 8th grade books. One thing I'm planning is to do our reading time all together, and listen to the books on CD. If you feel like a book will be "pushing" it, maybe you could opt for something like that.

A few things I did change from the 7th grade list:

I used the USborne edition of Don Quixote

I used the P&R edition of Robinson Crusoe (check Rainbow Resource)

(Definitely use the Pilgrim's Progress version recommended for slower readers - it's great)

I read the fairy tales out loud - about 15 minutes a day

We didn't do Pride & Prejudice

I mixed in the poetry so we did one novel, then a poem.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was Killer! - we ended up watching 2 different movie versions (no book on CD at the library) I would recommend Around the World in 80 Days instead.

I planned to do Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, but we ran out of time. (see 20,000 Leagues note!). We did read Amos Fortune, Free Man as a Read-Aloud, and I figure we'll catch Mr. Douglass on the next go-round.

I added in the Great Illustrated Classics for books we had here that are on the high school list (Frankenstein, for example)

Oh, I also added in some books from Deconstructing Penguins, so that's probably why we ran out of time. (And here I was thinking I just got lazy at the end!)

We watched the Three Musketeers and The Scarlet Pimpernel - two of the highlights of our year.

Have fun!

Rhonda

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was Killer! - we ended up watching 2 different movie versions (no book on CD at the library) I would recommend Around the World in 80 Days instead.

Rhonda

Thanks for the great input - very helpful!

I'm assuming Killer means difficult and not Wicked Awesome?