Menu

do you combine subjects?

What I mean is this: do you make a certain assignment count for more than one subject...for example: writing the history narrative in your best handwriting can count for both handwriting and history? IF you do this, can you give me some more examples of how you do it? Thanks.

Since we finished WWE2 earlier this spring and I did not want to jump to WWE3 yet, we've been doing the narration, copywork and dictation from our SOTW. Now we are moving more quickly through history, and doing the writing. He loves history, so he is actually taking more ownership of the writing. He helps pick out what to copy and dictate (has to meet my approved requirements). It's working out so well, that I'm beginning to wonder if I should even order WWE3 workbook for next year.

What I mean is this: do you make a certain assignment count for more than one subject...for example: writing the history narrative in your best handwriting can count for both handwriting and history? IF you do this, can you give me some more examples of how you do it? Thanks.

Well, some years we read historical fiction that ties into our history focus for the year. We chose a science program that includes answering questions about each chapter, in part because it gives practice with reading non-fiction and gathering meaning from it. We've done writing assignments on science and history topics (and now and again even math). And so on. However, I don't really look at it from the perspective of "counting" for other subjects, etc. I just look at what each kid needs in a given skill/subject area, and try to put together a program that addresses those needs, both on a "what are we doing this year" level, but also a weekly level. I'm thinking "how can we squeeze more of this skill in", and "how can we combine things so we have more time to do other things". KWIM? So for example if handwriting is an issue, I'd work more of it into what we did across the curriculum, trying to balance/juggle working specifically on handwriting alone, vs. doing it in the context of other assignments.

A long way to say it's an art, and an ever-changing balance, and it's not an exact science.

We finished the K and 1st manuscript levels of HWT this year. One son has also finished the 3rd grade cursive curriculum and the other son is almost finished. Once they finish, I have them start using WWE to practice their handwriting while they are doing their copywork. They copy the shorter line in manuscript and the longer one in cursive.