Menu

Well, I find this a terribly embarrassing question, but...

Mom to Aly

this is really all I can afford, if I save for a month or so, so...

Are the $30 or so microscopes total junk, or would my daughter get anything out of them? Also, there are kits, chem-x or chemlab, at discovery store and amazon, that include everything for chem experiments. They are about $30-$40, which would take me another 1-2 months of savings--if you've seen me before you've heard my tail, single mom, no frills at all, times are beyond tight--are those any good?

Thank you!

I think you would be disappointed. Save your money on both counts (microscope and chemistry kits).

As far as the chemistry goes, your library probably has books on the subject such as Janice Van Cleave's book Chemistry for Every Kid, which uses everyday stuff to do experiments. You're better off going that route.

As far as the microscope goes, just keep saving and keep your eye out for a good used one. You never know, one may turn up at a yard sale or something.

Try to hold out for a good microscope. All others are a waste of money. There is a website (greatscopes.com) that I bought a good scope from. They are not cheap but you can download a pdf on how to pick the right scope for your needs and there is a link to obtain a code for a homeschool discount. The company is run by a homeschool dad. Hope this helps - I have always considered doing a car wash or bake sale for my "school" when expenses like these come up. Food for thought!

Many years ago while they were cleaning out attics and replacing equipment hospitals used to have sales on items like tables, stools, office equipment etc.

Maybe you could try and find out if any hospitals or schools are getting rid of old microscopes and pick one up inexpensively?

It might be worth a couple phone calls or emails to the appropriate department.

Your dd is only 9. She won't really be needing a microscope until she is about 14-15. I'd keep saving and get a good one. During those 5-6 years, you may find a used one at a great price. Microscopes when younger can be fun, but are not a necessity.

The chemistry sets...Some of these are good; some not so good. Most of the chemicals are available outside of kits for much, much less. I'd suggest a good library book that uses common household items/chemicals for its experiments. Much more fun because you can do them over and over. My kids played with baking soda cannons for hours one day. (baking soda, vinegar, a large spitball, and an bottle or test tube) Science doesn't have to be expensive when they are little.

Hi! Please don't be embarrassed by your question or financial situation. Though viewing things under a microscope is thrilling for kids, I would not make a microscope a priority right now since your daughter is still so young. I would save those pennies toward a high-quality microscope for use at the high school level or invest in resources that are more needed at the elementary level. That said, you might want to check with public schools in your area. You may be able to pick up one of their discards at a cheap price. Also, moms "retiring" from homeschooling will sometimes donate their older equipment to those in need. That's how I got my microscope. Are you a member of a support group? You may want to make your needs known there. It's a great place to share & network resources.

We got a $25.00 microscope and it is not junk. It took a little to learn how to use it but we can see quite a bit with it. It has a case to keep it in so it stays nice, came with some prepared and unprepared slides and has been a lot of fun.

Also, you might check garage sales. A friend of mine has found several good ones for a decent price at them.

Good Luck!:001_smile:

Perhaps you could join your local Freecycle list (freecycle.org). The rules state you ought to offer something to the list before asking for anything. Once you've got a feel for how things work, post a "WANTED" email requesting a microscope. You never know if someone might have one collecting dust that they'd be happy to give to you.

Watch yard sales, too. They are rare, but they do pop up now and then.

If you are a member of a local homeschool group, perhaps a family who has finished using their scope, or they are graduating their last child, might have one to give to you.

You have plenty of time. :) One will come along before you need it, I'm sure.

:iagree: And while you are waiting keep your eyes out for a deal. We've had a used Brock here for years, and we're able to use a big one from our local school.

In the case of microscopes, I do think you get what you pay for. Your daughter is so young yet, chem experiments and a microscope aren't a priority. Better to save until you can buy something that won't disappoint.

for me to scope out the hospitals and labs in the area. I am going to contact the administration department and see if they can hook me up with an "old" one that they are getting rid of. He used to work in a lab, so he said we might be able to pick one up for free. I haven't gone that far yet (my oldest is only 9) but that is my plan.

Good luck!

Hot Lava Mama

Thank you all for the info--I have lots to look into! We are strict vegetarian, and don't believe in disection, don't plan to use it for that, but my daughter is quite advanced in science, so I am hoping to get something soon, and this gives me some hope.

Thanks again!

Any more info would be appreciated! I'll keep looking back--the first duo scope sounds good, btw!

Instead of purchasing one, have you considered trying to rent one? Or do you know a grad student who could let her take a peek at some of his/her work (maybe someone on the boards)? This is something you may consider discussing with the local universities and high schools, especially when you're on such a tight budget.

I just replied to another post of yours, so I know that you want to really foster your daughter's interest in science. I don't think that she's too young to be using one, but you might want to consider what you'd (or she'd) like to do with the scope and how long you'd like to have it around.

For us, it's nice to have a scientist (with a nice scope) in the family.