Menu

smoothie quetion

If you add spinach in with blueberries, the blue or purple color from the berries masks the spinach color a bit. Some kids respond better if you serve in a cup that isn't transparent :) But no, you really can't taste it. Start with just a bit if you aren't sure and you'll see :)

Half an avocado also disappears nicely into a strawberry smoothie. It doesn't taste like anything; it just kind of makes the smoothie thicker and a nice texture.

eta: yes, we use them as a snack frequently. I also freeze leftover smoothies into popsicle molds, which is great this time of the year. Kids, want a popsicle for breakfast??:D

I make smoothies with fruit, spinach, chia seeds, and a little water. That's it, and I can't taste the spinach at all. My small children drink them without complaint. I have tried kale and could slightly taste it. It wasn't bad, but just a little bitter and "green." I would start with spinach and with one big handful. I put two or three handfuls in my smoothies now and still can't taste it.

How do you guys make smoothies with adding vegetables? I don't get it and I don't think my kids would eat it at all. Can they taste the spinach? I don't even eat spinach would I taste it? What do you guys add to them? Are they a good filling snack perhaps?

You can certainly tell that the smoothie is not as sweet as a fruit smoothie. For us, we started with a little bit of spinach and then added more and more gradually. But it doesn't taste bad, necessarily. It's just different. I don't really eat spinach (not cooked, rarely plain), but I'll eat it in a smoothie.

My "go to" recipe is banana (as over-ripe as possible), spinach, and frozen fruit (usually organic berries). Sometimes we add greek yogurt (for added protein if we are super hungry or going to be really busy), sometimes an avocado (for added healthy fats, and it makes the smoothie nice and creamy!).

Generally, we do smoothies for breakfast. I make enough for everyone to have a good size smoothie for breakfast, plus extra. The extra I freeze in the freezer pop molds to make treats for mid-afternoon snack.

We have had LOTS of kids through here and have NEVER had a kid refuse a green smoothie. They *love* green smoothies and *love* sharing them with new people. The speech therapist was a tad hesitant, but she liked it! The kids rave about them so much waitresses at restaurants want to taste! Seriously, good stuff :)

I make smoothies with fruit, spinach, chia seeds, and a little water. That's it, and I can't taste the spinach at all. My small children drink them without complaint. I have tried kale and could slightly taste it. It wasn't bad, but just a little bitter and "green." I would start with spinach and with one big handful. I put two or three handfuls in my smoothies now and still can't taste it.

That was our experience, too. I really don't discern much of a spinach taste, especially when I include blueberries. Other greens have been harder to disguise (to quote an old Cheers episode, "You can really taste the kale."); this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer a more traditional taste for now. Maybe once I get used to it, I'll be braver about the greens.

We make smoothies almost daily here. The go-to recipe includes greens.

1/2 can Coconut milk mixed with an equal amount of water. ( Thai Kitchen full fat is best)

1 ripe banana ( or frozen bananas from when they go on sale for being too ripe)

4 big handfuls of organic baby spinach

1 cup plain greek yogurt

a couple TBSP (raw, local) honey

Enough frozen berries ( whatever is in season) to make it nice and thick and smoothie like. :)

That makes enough for me to have a large cup full( About 20oz), and two of the littles to have small cups ( Maybe 10oz) . The biggest little refuses anything that might be healthy. :glare:

Eta- We have tried kale but the kids didn't care for it. I'd rather not mess with something that they love.

Edited by Munchkins_mama