Menu

What to do in Minneapolis? For 2 teen boys.

We are leaving for my daughter's rock climbing competition tomorrow. I am looking for some things that dh and my teen boys can do during the down time when dd is not competing? They are not as into climbing as dd and I are, so I am sure that they do not want to travel 7 hours just to spend it in a climbing gym:). We will be staying near I394 and 169 and the climbing gym is near 35W and 52.

What would be some nice outdoorsy things for two teen boys to do with their dad?

you might want to check into the Nice Ride bike program. https://www.niceridemn.org/ and they could check out all sorts of places, Minnehaha Falls park, the Grand Rounds, the Greenway, etc. (bring your own helmets). There is also a Frisbee golf course at Minnehaha Falls.

If they are interested in science, I would recommend the Science Museum of MN, downtown St Paul. there are also Segway tours, but I don't know much about them.

One idea is Skyzone (a little expensive, but SO much fun - it is an indoor trampoline park). There are also dollar theaters near you. Miniature golf or regular golf is at Eagle Ridge near there. I'll second the Segway tour. There are plenty of beaches all around, at Baker Park they can rent canoes or paddle boats. Can you tell where I live? :) If you want more info, let me know.

Seconding Minnehaha falls- they can rent bikes there and explore. If they're into it- the Pirate's exhibit and Omni is at the science museum in St. Paul right now.

We do nature classes at Baker! :)

Cool! We go camping there a lot. We only live about 8 miles from there.

Great ideas so far. Another outdoorsy thing that is fun for newbies is renting a canoe on the Minneapolis chain of lakes.

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=797

Not far from the Minneapolis lakes is the Institute of Art and the Walker which has an outdoor sculpture garden.

Downtown St. Paul is the Science museum, the history center, and the state capitol. The Mississippi river trails are fabulous for biking too. The Nice rides are a good option! Minnehaha is a great area to rent bikes and hike around.

Where is 35W and 52? Hwy 52 is closer to 35E that I'm thinking of? Is the climbing gym in St. Paul (Vertical Endeavors?)?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think my boys will head over to Minnehaha park to rent bikes today, provided that my ailing 16yo feels better. I'm highly annoyed that our hotel does not have a complementary breakfast - the only place nearby is the hotel restaurant that had an outrageously expensive buffet - that wasn't even that great. This is turning out to be a much more expensive trip than we planned. I'm trying really hard not to grumble:).