Menu

Who wants the Nerves of Steel award?

I'm not worthy!

Tonight as I was putting my chickens to bed and gathering eggs, there was a black snake in one of the boxes, curled up with the eggs. I Could. Not. put my hand in to take care of it. I screamed for the boys and jumped up and down outside the henhouse hollering "don't break my eggs!" while one of the boys tried to drag the snake out of the box without egg sacrifice.

It didn't matter that it was just a little old black snake, the only kind that doesn't paralyze me is green.

I have the heebie jeebies. Might as well make me touch a banana.

OK, I'll take it this time. My washer and dryer are in my garage. During the course of a day many dishtowels will get thrown out there so they can be scooped up and washed as one load. Very often, more often than I'd like, I will scoop up the towels only to find a black snake all snug and cozy. One time I found several babies all curled up in the pile. I did drop the towels quite suddenly, but then calmly asked ds11 to please take them outside - no screaming - no heebies. Snakes do not bother me near as much as bugs.

this happened a few years ago, but still gives me goose bumps. I was walking past the chicken pen where the mother gen had week old chicks, when I glanced in and saw a red belly black snake eating one of the chicks, and my 2 year old son sitting in there and playing with the other chicks. Red belly black snaked are very poisonous, I think they are the 15th most poisonous snake in the world.

we have snakes all the time in summer , and they are all deadly poisonous! I have lots of snake stories

Not crazy about snakes, but I was wondering has anyone tried guinea fowl. I hear they are the guarddogs of the poultry world..

I have been wanting to get some for our yard. To take care of weeds, bugs and scare off squirrels.

Any thoughts,

Jet

I have the heebie jeebies.

I got the black snake heebie jeebies yesterday, too. There was a 6ft black snake climbing a tree in our back yard. Just the thought of having a snake drop down on me makes for MAJOR heebie jeebies! I must admit, though, that it was incredible watching him climb straight up that tree trunk.

Aw rats! I coulda had that award back on the farm. I had to grab black snakes more than once out of the rafters or someplace just to rescue them from our old caretaker, who would shoot them or mow them over with his riding mower no matter whether he found them near or far from the bird pens. It seemed so unfair. Even my girls got in on the act. One of the funniest things I've ever seen was a crew of burly guys doing pool maintenance who came across a black snake in the pool house. They were all dancing around, not knowing what to do with themselves, only to be saved by our kids (then 8 and 10), who ran over and grabbed that snake quick as you please. :D

Mamagistra, I was glad to read long enough on your blog to learn how that poor snake came to meet his Maker. Too bad, huh? So...did you eat the eggs? ;)