Menu

New Mexico Tech in Socorro

Tullia

I've been away so long that I had a hard time remembering my password for these boards :glare:, but wanted to stop by to say that ds is planning to transfer to NMT in the fall. He's completed all the state mandated core requirements at the local community college.

Last week, he returned an acceptance form for a generous transfer merit scholarship offer which will "stack" onto the remaining semesters of his state lottery scholarship. Membership in Phi Theta Kappa is taken into account for the transfer scholarship. The duration of the transfer scholarship seems reasonable given the number of credits he will need to graduate.

I've been impressed with the fast responses; the first e-mail ds sent was answered within hours. We receive snail mail paperwork within 48 hours, and so far nothing has been lost.

Ds is still waiting to find out exactly how many of his credits will transfer. Core requirements set by the state should transfer, but there may be a few classes he's taken beyond the core which will not count toward his major. He will be notified of his residence hall assignment later this month, and will attend the special registration and orientation for transfer students next month.

The school is small; there's a single dining hall. The director seems eager to help with food allergy and medical requirements. Our neighbor's daughter graduated from NMT a couple of years ago. She liked the fact that there is a lot of interaction between faculty and students. We were able to attend a symposium on the day of our visit where groups of undergraduates presented the results of their research; grad students were doing solo presentations.

I wasn't all that impressed with our tour of the traditional men's residence halls; they are adequate but seemed shabby/institutional especially when compared to other buildings on campus, but considering how ds keeps his bedroom I don't think it would bother him. He's applied for a apartment with 2-4 bedrooms and a shared bath, kitchen and living area, but no guarantee that he'll get in. There were no women in our tour, so we didn't tour the women's dorms.

I was pleased to see how many opportunities there are for fitness activities on campus, and ds found out that there are more opportunities to pursue music than he had been aware of before our visit. I fell in love with the campus within a couple of hours; ds takes his time about everything, so I've been biting my tongue waiting for him to make a decision.

Waving madly! I was just thinking about you yesterday! (I think you were involved in comforting me when my oldest refused to go to college. I was remembering that conversation and the people who told me just to wait, that he might well change his mind after a few years and wishing I could thank everyone and tell everyone that they were right. He graduated from college this spring!)

There has been much speculation here recently about transfers from cc to 4-year college so it is nice to have some concrete details.

Besides, it is lovely to hear from you again.

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

I'm glad to hear that everything is working out so well for your son!

Debbie

Thank you, Debbie. There were times when I wondered if things (especially math) were going to work out at all, and if so how we were going to fit everything in!

nice! My paternal family lives an 1hr away and they want me to go there. I think the graduates are in the top ten in salary after graduating

Hello Brother Atticus! I've heard that a lot of employers my son is interested in working for recruit heavily at NMT, which is one reason why it moved to the top of his list this semester. They offer nice early acceptance incentives too--ds didn't make up his mind early enough to take advantage of them--but those are things you might want to put into the mix when you make your plans. Good luck in your college choice!

Waving madly! I was just thinking about you yesterday! (I think you were involved in comforting me when my oldest refused to go to college. I was remembering that conversation and the people who told me just to wait, that he might well change his mind after a few years and wishing I could thank everyone and tell everyone that they were right. He graduated from college this spring!)

There has been much speculation here recently about transfers from cc to 4-year college so it is nice to have some concrete details.

Besides, it is lovely to hear from you again.

Nan

Hello Nan,

Waving right back! I can't even begin to say how much you and the rest of our WTM support network have helped me over the years. Wow, there must be some kind of telepathy at work! I'd been meaning to post about our college visit since April, but life has been busy. Something made me think about you on Monday, and then that reminded me it was time to add something to the college visit database. I'll post again when ds finds out how many of his credits are accepted.

I've still not started any quilting projects as I'd hoped to do, but am very proud of the fact that I am finding time for my nature journal again. Ds has been out of home school long enough that the burnout has receded and I mostly remember the good times!

Best wishes to all,

Martha

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd give an update on how the transfer process is coming along. So far, there have been no unpleasant surprises. Shortly after returning his acceptance, ds received a transcript evaluation form. With one exception (intermediate algebra taken while he was in hs) all his CC courses have been accepted. There were three courses which didn't make it through the course substitution filter, but ds replied and has received approval for them to be moved from the general elective column to the credits toward degree category.

Hindsight is 20/20; I should have sent his ACT scores to NMT in the first place but didn't do it. I'd have saved $20.00 and the scores would already be on file:glare:. The ACT results should exempt him from the first English course, but the waiver won't be official until the scores are received. We could not remember any of his ACT account info. and weren't even sure about which e-mail account we'd used. The ACT recovery/reset system worked quite well, though. :D

The one surprise we did have is a technical writing course called English 341 which is part of NMT's general requirements. Most NMT transfer students have to take it because one of the prerequisites is junior or senior standing and most other colleges in NM don't offer an equivalent. The sophomore level technical writing course ds took at the CC probably wasn't a waste of time; it should fulfill part of the general requirements for communications.

There is an early registration/orientation session for transfer students next week where he will find out how the theory translates into practice. Right now, it looks as if ds will have enough hours to be considered a junior (this has ramifications for housing requests), has satisfied all but three hours of general requirements, and can focus on courses in his major. NMT does not offer either a major or minor in music, which was one of the reasons ds was initially hesitant about NMT, but there are some interesting electives offered through the music department.

The academic advisement/registration session for transfer students we attended yesterday was well organized. The faculty seem committed to helping transfer students make the transition, find study groups, etc. There was some scrambling around to find electives because all the popular choices were full, but the the policy on granting overfill waivers seemed to work fairly well, especially for those like ds who were transferring 60+ hours and didn't have any "holes" to fill in the core.

The lottery scholarship transfer is going to be interesting. CNM won't sign off until grades from the summer session are posted, but we've been told that they'll fax the forms to NMT before their deadline. It will all work out eventually, but it would be nice to have the financial aspect taken care of early on.

There is a wait list for residence hall/on campus apartment assignments due to increased enrollment this term. Ds was told that he's high on the list and will probably receive his housing assignment before the fall term begins. Those who don't will be put up in a local hotel until rooms become available. FWIW, ds sent in his housing application a month before the deadline. Work is beginning on a new dorm which is supposed to be ready in about a year. That should make getting a room assignment easier for future students. Ds has decided that isn't going to worry too much about whether he's assigned to a traditional dorm or to an apartment or suite. The bathrooms in the dorms are cleaned by staff; the folks living in apartments and suites clean their own.

There are still a few minor things to be done, but on the whole it's been far less trouble than I expected.

;) Great school!

Thanks for the PM and the encouragement! :001_smile:

Ds received his housing assignment via e-mail late Wednesday. He will be in an on-campus apartment with 4 single occupancy rooms/2 baths. He's required to buy a minimal meal plan for the dining hall, but can finalize the number of meals during the first week of classes. There are only a few minor things left on his to-do checklist.