Menu

Finding the right selections for WWE

moskitoe

I am looking at purchasing WWE The Creative Writer so I can make writing part of our literature, history, and science rather than one more thing my son has to do. However, I am not very confident that I can make the appropriate selections required in the book. I have a library copy that I am reading and I don't even know some of the grammar she uses to describe the sentences. For example on page 186 you need sentences that have linking verbs with predicate nominatives and predicate adjectives. I have no idea what that is.....I would love to hear some opinions about how you go about finding the right selections and how do you even know what that grammar is??? Should I just go with one of the levels and cut some writing out from our core subjects?

• 3 weeks later...

Google is your friend. If you don't know the grammar, there are plenty of sites to look at for examples. I don't use the workbooks and a lot of times I'll just make up a sentence related to whatever topic I'm trying to use, but mainly from our literature. We'll read something, do a narration and then I write down something for copywork or dictation. She doesn't even think it's a separate lesson. We get through 2 lessons in about 15 minutes, only 5 of which is her writing stuff.

Holding the sentence in your head and then writing it down (if you are talking about dictation) is the most important part. I wouldn't worry too much about matching the grammar in the Complete Writer to the sentence you use. It might be even better for you to look for sentences that show the grammar your kids are actually learning at the moment to reinforce those lessons. I love WWE, but I don't usually pay attention to the grammar portion. We get that elsewhere. I just focus on the dictations and narrations.