Menu

Pregnancy rash? PUPPP? Boys?

I'm about 23 1/2 weeks right now. A few weeks ago I developed a rash between my thighs. I'd never had anything like it before. Hydrocortisone cream didn't help at all. I was ok during the day, but soooooo itchy at night. One night I was going through our med box trying to find something for relief and came across some poison ivy cream. It is basically calamine + some sort of analgesic. It worked great and within 2 days the rash was gone.

Now, 3-4 days later, I have a rash all over my belly, and a slight rash on my bre*sts. They were very itchy last night, but I just figured it was the normal stretching itches that are common during pregnancy. Then this morning I see that I have this rash.

DH just said it was a common pregnancy rash, it will go away when the pregnancy is over, don't worry about it, blah, blah, blah. Um. Right. He's not the one with the itchy body.

So, I googled. He's right, it is probably PUPPP. I can deal with it.

BUT, I cracked up when I saw that over 70% of women with PUPPP have boys. My first 3 are boys, and everyone just assumes I want another girl. I truly don't care, and we decided not to find out until the birth. However, all my weird pregnancy dreams have been about baby boys. Every. Single. One. I've even tried to think of girl names, etc. right before going to sleep so I could have a girl dreams. Nope. Boy, boy, boy, boy, boy. I know I'll feel guilty if I have a girl and I'll wonder if I subconsciously wanted another boy.

So, I want to know. Did you have a pregnancy rash? If so, did you end up with a boy or a girl?

:bigear:

One of my close friends got PUPPS. She had a lovely baby boy. Unfortunately, she has also had eczema ever since. Not fun. Don't want to worry you more, but it has been part of her experience. I have no idea what the percentages are on PUPPS leading to eczema, though, although if anyone does, I'm sure my friend would appreciate the information.

Ha-ha! I had pupp - had to resort to a steroid creme, against my better judgement, but it did work. Now for the funny part...

I had...TWINS!! One of which, was in fact, a boy. (not exactly the last annoyance he has offered, btw :))

BTW, I thought you could only get it with your first pregnancy? I swear they told me that.

From my extensive research (all within the past hour), "they" say it usually occurs in first pregnancies, and I've seen several sites that mention subsequent pregnancies as the first incidence. My baby is 6 now, so maybe my body forgot I'd been pregnant before. ;)

Ha-ha! I had pupp - had to resort to a steroid creme, against my better judgement, but it did work. Now for the funny part...

I had...TWINS!! One of which, was in fact, a boy. (not exactly the last annoyance he has offered, btw :))

Well, I think we pretty much ruled out twins with an early u/s. But thanks for the encouragement! ;)

I had a terrible rash at about the same time in my fifth pregnancy. It started under my arms and on my back, and also spread to my tummy, and it was SOOOO itchy. It never sounded exactly like anything (puppp or anything else), but I just lived with it, and about a month later or so, it went away. My OB had wanted me to see an endocrinologist, but I had gotten a waiver to go to an off-base doctor for that pregnancy, and I knew I would never be able to get a referral from Tricare to see an off-base endocrinologist (and I couldn't face the military system, LOL), so that's why I just tried to ignore the whole thing.

Here's the thing for me, though--that pregnancy was my first girl! I had already had the ultrasound, which the doc said showed the baby was a girl, but I was skeptical (after 4 boys). When I got the rash, however, I started thinking maybe it WAS a girl, and the hormones were just different or something, since I had never experienced anything like it in any of my previous pregnancies. It was a girl, but so was my next baby, and I didn't have any mysterious rashes then! Maybe I was used to the hormones . . . I'm pregnant again, so I guess we'll see what happens this time!

I wish relief for you! Hang in there!

I had a terrible rash at about the same time in my fifth pregnancy. It started under my arms and on my back, and also spread to my tummy, and it was SOOOO itchy. It never sounded exactly like anything (puppp or anything else), but I just lived with it, and about a month later or so, it went away. My OB had wanted me to see an endocrinologist, but I had gotten a waiver to go to an off-base doctor for that pregnancy, and I knew I would never be able to get a referral from Tricare to see an off-base endocrinologist (and I couldn't face the military system, LOL), so that's why I just tried to ignore the whole thing.

Here's the thing for me, though--that pregnancy was my first girl! I had already had the ultrasound, which the doc said showed the baby was a girl, but I was skeptical (after 4 boys). When I got the rash, however, I started thinking maybe it WAS a girl, and the hormones were just different or something, since I had never experienced anything like it in any of my previous pregnancies. It was a girl, but so was my next baby, and I didn't have any mysterious rashes then! Maybe I was used to the hormones . . . I'm pregnant again, so I guess we'll see what happens this time!

I wish relief for you! Hang in there!

Thanks, Claire...I think it is related to hormones or, as some of the sites have said, maybe baby is allergic to something I'm eating. :confused:

We shall see!