Menu

Life of Pi? Book discussion anyone?

Ok, so admittedly, I’m not as smart as I once was. I’ve grown lazy in thought, busied by the day to day dealings of homeschooling, working part-time, and running a household. Honestly, I just don’t read as much as I used to; I don’t think as much as I used to. So in an effort to remedy this I’ve been trying to read more, not a book a week since that is just too much pressure for me, but when I can (loved Parable of Sower, btdubs, so thanks for whoever mentioned that here). I just finished Life of Pi, and I just feel dumb. I rather enjoyed the book- I enjoyed the philosophy, the story telling, the fact that here was a GOOD book that didn’t involve r*Ap3 and in3st, or horrible things happening to people, especially children, and then I get to the end I feel like, well, “What the heck?†Has it been that long since I was required to use my brain for deep thinking that I actually believed this was a story based on “real life†as denoted by the author’s note at the beginning of the book. I still can’t figure it out, was it or not? Did the events take place as explained throughout the book or did it happen like in the second version given to the Investigators?

I am just so upset with myself right now that I can’t figure out what was what? Or was that the purpose of the book?

I absolutely hated this book. It was one of those books that deeply disturbed me in a really weird way....and made me NOT want to read another book for a long time. I think the authors purpose was to raise our hope in humanity....and then chop us off at the knees. It worked, therefore he was successful.....but I wish he would have placed his talent elsewhere......

This book was actually based on another called Max and the Cat (I believe....I have to look again....)

Life of Pi will go down in my " skip this one" list.....

When I read this, I thought it was all about the power of the human brain to create an environment in which it could live with itself. And then I had my kids (seniors) read it for a 21st Century Lit class. They ALL said that they believed the first story was what actually happened and that Pi had created the second because he knew that nobody else would be able to live with the truth. At that that was the point of it being 21st Century.

So maybe it depends on your age and experience level. FWIW, any piece of fiction can claim to be a true story. In this case, I was quite sure it wasn't, but had to spend some time explaining that to the kids.

Ok, so admittedly, I’m not as smart as I once was. I’ve grown lazy in thought, busied by the day to day dealings of homeschooling, working part-time, and running a household. Honestly, I just don’t read as much as I used to; I don’t think as much as I used to. So in an effort to remedy this I’ve been trying to read more, not a book a week since that is just too much pressure for me, but when I can (loved Parable of Sower, btdubs, so thanks for whoever mentioned that here). I just finished Life of Pi, and I just feel dumb. I rather enjoyed the book- I enjoyed the philosophy, the story telling, the fact that here was a GOOD book that didn’t involve r*Ap3 and in3st, or horrible things happening to people, especially children, and then I get to the end I feel like, well, “What the heck?†Has it been that long since I was required to use my brain for deep thinking that I actually believed this was a story based on “real life†as denoted by the author’s note at the beginning of the book. I still can’t figure it out, was it or not? Did the events take place as explained throughout the book or did it happen like in the second version given to the Investigators?

I am just so upset with myself right now that I can’t figure out what was what? Or was that the purpose of the book?

I loved this book. It is pure fiction. The beginning of the book was a device to immerse you in the story and make it real to you. It is genius. If you look at many of the reviews it made sooo many people mad. They wanted it to be real. When they found out it wasn't they hated the author. I admire him. He caused a sensation, and the book didn't have many of the formulaic elements that are so common in modern literature.

I enjoyed the book. I thought it was well written and engaging. But not every book is for everyone.

The descriptions of the animals were amazing, and I felt like I was with Pi on that raft. The ending is obviously open to interpretation, but I believed the 2nd story to be true. The original was his way of dealing with the horror of the experience. In the end he asked the ship's company's representative which story he prefered. When the man answered that he preferred the 1st, Pi answered, then so it goes with God.

While I didn't like the author's point (which I took as that we construct a god in order not to deal with the horrors of life without one) I did enjoy the way he approached it and told the tale.

I will not go see the movie when it comes out. Some of those scenes would gross me out. :001_smile:

I, too, enjoyed it until the end. I read it a few years ago and have an awful memory, so I have no specifics. But, I recall feeling very let down and upset with the ending. And, come to think of it, that was the last newish fiction book I've read.

Thanks everyone! That cleared a few things up for me. I do not feel let down that it wasn't a "real" story, and thought the end was cleverly designed to make you think about what we are willing to accept in reality and what truth is.

I loved this book. It is pure fiction. The beginning of the book was a device to immerse you in the story and make it real to you. It is genius. If you look at many of the reviews it made sooo many people mad. They wanted it to be real. When they found out it wasn't they hated the author. I admire him. He caused a sensation, and the book didn't have many of the formulaic elements that are so common in modern literature.

:iagree: Totally agree. I loved this book as well. Thinking of having my 11 year old read it soon.