Menu

What elementary math program best prepares students for Pre-Algebra in 7th?

gratitude

What elementary math program best prepares for Pre-Algebra in 7th?  

1. 1. What elementary math program best prepares for Pre-Algebra in 7th?

• Singapore
    • Horizon Math
    • A Beka Math
    • Bob Jones Math
    • Teaching Text books
    • Saxon
    • Other

What elementary program best prepares students for Pre-Algebra in 7th?

We are currently using Singapore and I am concerned about the lack of practice built into the program for longer retention. I am trying to compensate for it. My boys are naturally strong in math. It is crossing my mind to switch. So I am interested in what others think about the other math programs.

We are currently using Singapore and I am concerned about the lack of practice built into the program for longer retention. I am trying to compensate for it. My boys are naturally strong in math. It is crossing my mind to switch. So I am interested in what others think about the other math programs.

By lack of practice, do you mean spiral practice (coming back to the topic repeatedly throughout the year or years)? I am puzzled as well because Singapore actually has too much practice for us here.

There's as much practice as you want. Are you using the CWP and/or IP books? (there are also Extra Practice books.) Some people also use the CWP and/or IP books a half-year or a year behind, as review.

I've only used SM a tiny bit, but my understanding is that the CWP and IP books are some of the biggest strengths of SM.

Another option for review is MM, which has similar instruction/problems. FWIW, MM is another option for a main curriculum as well, and has more problems all in one book (as well as separate cumulative chapter reviews), but just like with SM, the number you assign is up to you. The curriculum is a tool; trust your own judgment. If you want to assign more exercises, or more review of topics learned earlier, do so.

With the disclaimer that there is no one-size-fits-all program and naturally, different students may find a better fit in different sorts of curricula, of the math programs you list in your poll, I have no doubt that Singapore would be what I consider the "best" preparation for prealgebra in 7th.

Use the Standards Edition Textbooks, Workbooks, and HIGs with the Intensive Practice Books (from the US Edition) and the CWP, and you will have lots of practice and a very challenging and robust math program.

Bill

I voted Singapore, but I prefer MEP. Either program will allow a bright student ready to start a rigorous pre-algebra (e.g. AofPS) or a regular algebra course after Year 6 without additional reinforcement.

I didn't catch what year(s) you're using, but if you feel there's not enough practice in Singapore, add in CWP and the IP books (for stronger students) or the EP books (for weaker students). Singapore tends to reinforce through use, but topics to spiral from year to year.

We have only been doing the work books up until 3 - 4 weeks ago. He breezes through his daily lesson in the work book (it takes about 10 minutes), but I am not sure how much he is really retaining. My younger son, 6, found 1A to be easy this winter/spring; however I think he retained very little of it. Doesn't make much sense, does it? 3 weeks ago I added Singapore math practice for my 8 year old that someone gave to me to increase his daily math time. I am doing placement test this morning for Singapore and Horizon and am dismayed by how much my ds6 really has retained in math.

What is CWP, IP, HIGs? What is the difference between the Standard edition and US edition? We have been using the US edition.

My oldest is at the end of 2nd grade, and yes I am hearing a lot lately about how curriculum needs to be a better tool for our family rather than running the show. I have 4 kids ages 8 and under and have always home schooled; mostly with My Father's World. Feeling very very behind this spring. They are bright kids, my oldest started to read at age 3, and I don't feel like I am managing to give them the education they need.

Thank you for the math insights! :)

Edited by gratitude

We have only been doing the work books up until 3 - 4 weeks ago. He breezes through his daily lesson in the work book (it takes about 10 minutes), but I am not sure how much he is really retaining.

I would not expect retention from only using a small piece of the Singapore program. The textbook has a lot more practice in it, and the HIG (Home Instructor's Guide) gives you teaching instructions. The workbooks are fairly easy and are definitely NOT indicative of the whole program. I use the workbook as independent practice, knowing my son will NOT need help with any of those problems. They're easy. They build confidence. There is more meat in the textbook practice sessions (at least in level 4 - not sure about other grades, because I know 1 doesn't have practice sections in the textbook) and the review in the textbook. Then there is the IP (Intensive Practice) and CWP (Challenging Word Problems) which are the real MEAT of the program. They get hard.

So no, I don't think the Singapore workbooks used alone would prepare a child for prealgebra properly. They are not meant to be the sole program. They are meant to be a tiny piece of the program.

As for my plans... We'll do through Singapore 5B, then do prealgebra. I think my son will be more than ready for the material.

We have only been doing the work books up until 3 - 4 weeks ago. He breezes through his daily lesson in the work book (it takes about 10 minutes), but I am not sure how much he is really retaining. My younger son, 6, found 1A to be easy this winter/spring; however I think he retained very little of it. Doesn't make much sense, does it? 3 weeks ago I added Singapore math practice for my 8 year old that someone gave to me to increase his daily math time. I am doing placement test this morning for Singapore and Horizon and am dismayed by how much my ds6 really has retained in math.

What is CWP, IP, HIGs? What is the difference between the Standard edition and US edition? We have been using the US edition.

My oldest is at the end of 2nd grade, and yes I am hearing a lot lately about how curriculum needs to be a better tool for our family rather than running the show. I have 4 kids ages 8 and under and have always home schooled; mostly with My Father's World. Feeling very very behind this spring. They are bright kids, my oldest started to read at age 3, and I don't feel like I am managing to give them the education they need.

Thank you for the math insights! :)

The Standards Edition is a more recent edition that was designed to meet California's demandng math standards and thereby qualify for use in public school classrooms here.

The Standards Edition advances some concepts relative to the US Edition and covers some topics over the course that the US Edition omits. In addition the Standards Edition has significantly more practice and review built in. Some people prefer that the US Edition is leaner, but for people whose children need/thrive on more practice and more review the SE is a better choice IMO.

The Intensive Practice books are full of more challenging work than one finds in the Workbooks. Workbook problems are generally "easy" and many math adept kids can whip through them at a pace. The IP books add challenge on top of the basic skill mastery.

The CWP are Challenging Word Probem books. They teach Singapore's famous "bar-diagram" method of word problem solving.

Bill

ETA: the HIGs are the Home Instructors Guides. They round out the Eingapore program, have teaching ideas, activity based learning, mental math exercises, etc.

Edited by Spy Car

I would not expect retention from only using a small piece of the Singapore program. The textbook has a lot more practice in it, and the HIG (Home Instructor's Guide) gives you teaching instructions. The workbooks are fairly easy and are definitely NOT indicative of the whole program. I use the workbook as independent practice, knowing my son will NOT need help with any of those problems. They're easy. They build confidence. There is more meat in the textbook practice sessions (at least in level 4 - not sure about other grades, because I know 1 doesn't have practice sections in the textbook) and the review in the textbook. Then there is the IP (Intensive Practice) and CWP (Challenging Word Problems) which are the real MEAT of the program. They get hard.

So no, I don't think the Singapore workbooks used alone would prepare a child for prealgebra properly. They are not meant to be the sole program. They are meant to be a tiny piece of the program.

As for my plans... We'll do through Singapore 5B, then do prealgebra. I think my son will be more than ready for the material.

:iagree:Even though we're only partway into Singapore, we can see that workbooks are the easiest part. They are not a complete program in themselves.

The Standards Edition of Singapore has, I have heard, a better Home Instructor's Guide (HIG). I can't compare with the US, as I've only used the SE, but I've been very, very happy with the SE HIG. It provides directions for introducing concepts concretely, suggests games for further reinforcement, and has a mental math section at the back.

Between the textbook and workbook problems, I find that in Level 2 there are too many practice problems. We pick and choose.

And as Boscopup pointed out, the IP and CWP are where Singapore really sings. I use them a little bit behind, as a review.

ETA: Cross-posted with Bill. I agree with him, too!

Use the Standards Edition Textbooks, Workbooks, and HIGs with the Intensive Practice Books (from the US Edition) and the CWP, and you will have lots of practice and a very challenging and robust math program.

Bill

:iagree: This is what I use, but I also add in more math facts practice.

You can learn more about the IP and CWP and the differences between the Standards and US editions at the Singapore Math website.

We use the US edition with the IP and CWP. My kids really like the SM program. We actually do the CWP books ahead of the textbook only because my 8yo is stronger with language and it comes very easy to her and my 6yo loves math and it comes easy to her as well. I do the IP books a lesson behind.

I have a copy of the the Standard Edition for 3A and the books are exactly the same except for the pictures of Singapore money. I don't use the HIGs only because I have one for 3A and I wasn't impressed. I might invest in the HIGs when we get into the 4th or 5th grade level.

The one that teaches in a way that makes sense to the student.

:iagree:I voted other, because I'm with Merry - this answer will be different for different students and teachers. A lot of math programs get you to the same place - eventually - but may do so at a different pace, with a different style (i.e. mastery, spiral, conceptual, incremental, drill, etc.). The best program is the one(s) that works for your student.

For us, I'm really happy with Math Mammoth, supplemented with Life Of Fred. We will be starting prealgebra in LOF before 7th grade most likely, and MM has you ready to start any prealgebra program after completing level 6.

Well, I guess we are doing easy math here. I use Singapore us ed. with the HIG. We have the text and the 'easy' workbooks only. We have never felt the need for the IP or CWP. We are finishing up 6th grade this week and are headed into AoPS pre-algebra next September. Hope it won't be a disaster after all that easy math.