Menu

Well planned day software

Is it possible to keep track of the hours spent homeschooling like Edu-Track offers?

Thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences. I love my paper planner, but this is tempting. :)

It is coming soon. I believe with the new interface that will be out in about 10 days. She talked about the hour tracking specifically b/c certain states require you to track your hours.

When you assign lesson plans will you be able to assign one assignment to multiple kids?

Yes, I believe it is this way already. When you make an assignment, the thumbnails for each member are at the bottom sort of grayed out or without color (sepia looking). You can click all to include all members or you can individually click each member that you want to include. They turn color as you choose to include them in the assignment.

It is coming soon. I believe with the new interface that will be out in about 10 days. She talked about the hour tracking specifically b/c certain states require you to track your hours.

Perfect! Thank you for the info.

This thread has been very helpful. Thanks! I have been trying out hst online and scholaric, anyone using WPDS care to say why it wuld be better than either of those? :) thanks!

I think i am crazy that i am really considering this...

I don't have homeschool tracker online, but I have the hst+ for the pc. I have had it for 3 years. I like it, but I don't follow through with it and there isn't a way to keep up with all of our extras. I really like the photos and files feature in WPDS. I will be able to upload 4H and Scouts and such. As for the lesson plans features and such, WPDS is definitely a work in progress.

While I have had hst+ for 3 years, I have been using a WPD printed planner for the last 2 years. I would spend so much time getting it all set up in HST+ and then I would only use it sporadically.

I think the reason I am leaning towards WPDS is that I can really go in-depth with the kid's activities and it will give more than an academic overview of our homeschool years. It will be more like our homeschool yearbook that includes everything that we have done over the years in our home, clubs, church activities, and such. I will still be able to get all the academic reports and transcripts, but I will have so much more to give the kids as memories of their homeschool years and our family adventures.

I am one of the crazy people trying 3 different online planners at the same time: OLLY, HST, and Well Planned Day. I really thought the Well Planned Day would win but it is definitely too beta for me to even be able to compare right now. HST just is not for me. I am too visual and the layout just confuses me. I tried several times to use HST + and did not like it so I should have known HST online would not be for me. In defense of HST online, it does seem to have lots of features and is probably perfect for many people.

I am hoping OLLY is going to end up being everything I need. It is still new but has promise. I love the Mac feel of it, I just seem to know how to use it without having to read help files. The developer is very responsive to suggestions and seems to have all the things I don't like about it scheduled to be updated soon.

Hopefully this helps someone make a decision. :001_smile:

I am one of the crazy people trying 3 different online planners at the same time: OLLY, HST, and Well Planned Day. I really thought the Well Planned Day would win but it is definitely too beta for me to even be able to compare right now. HST just is not for me. I am too visual and the layout just confuses me. I tried several times to use HST + and did not like it so I should have known HST online would not be for me. In defense of HST online, it does seem to have lots of features and is probably perfect for many people.

I am hoping OLLY is going to end up being everything I need. It is still new but has promise. I love the Mac feel of it, I just seem to know how to use it without having to read help files. The developer is very responsive to suggestions and seems to have all the things I don't like about it scheduled to be updated soon.

Thank you daisymom. And welcome to the forums. We hope you like it here.

Is there a sample of this or do you have to buy it to see it in action? I can't seem to find a trial on the website...actually right now I can't seem to get into the website at all.

Heather

You can see screen shots here: http://www.homeschoolconvention.com/mywellplannedday.html

They are working on a new interface. Probably the best way to see it in action would be to view tonight's Q&A. Hopefully they will record it again.

Here's the latest facebook update:

Early birds: We'll be posting the link for the Q/A tonight right here on our timeline and also under the "Watch Q/A" tab. The session starts at 9EST/8CST, and we're recording it as well. It's a Go to Webinar, so it may tell you to download software to use it. Rebecca will be sharing her screen and taking questions! Bring your own snacks! :) Jenny, social media

OLLY? Link please!! :bigear::) I have a Mac and would love something with a "Mac feel". I am trying out Scholaric and it's ok, but I'm not totally sold on it. I'm not ready to try WPD until they get the bugs worked out, especially considering the cost.

Thanks!

Does anyone have an update for how Well Planned Day is working for them? I downloaded and am in the midst of getting some info into it (literature, curriculum, etc.). I'm not in a rush as I don't plan to actually implement until September, but I'm still not quite sure what my routine will be.

Do you enter things each week? On a daily basis? I've never planned out math for the year - am I going to have to enter each day and exercise or is there an easier way to do that?

Does anyone have an update for how Well Planned Day is working for them? I downloaded and am in the midst of getting some info into it (literature, curriculum, etc.). I'm not in a rush as I don't plan to actually implement until September, but I'm still not quite sure what my routine will be.

Do you enter things each week? On a daily basis? I've never planned out math for the year - am I going to have to enter each day and exercise or is there an easier way to do that?

Well, I haven't done much with it either. I do have all of us in the planner, chores in the planner, and some curricula in the planner. They are still working on it a lot so I have just been trying out features and giving feedback, but I am not really trying to put everything in right away. It has a long way to go. They are making so many changes including to the interface that I wonder if they had a test group at all before releasing the beta version.

With the way it is right now, it would take forever to enter everything one thing at a time. They are moving towards auto scheduling and lesson planning, but it seems that is going to be much closer to August to be a reality without kinks.

I wanted to put in our pictures from 4H activities and discovered that it was once again 1 picture at a time instead of an up loader that can handle multiple pictures at one time.

Long story short-I don't think the time saving features or posting more than one item in lesson planning, scheduling, or pictures is going to be fully functional until after the August release date.

Well, I haven't done much with it either. I do have all of us in the planner, chores in the planner, and some curricula in the planner. They are still working on it a lot so I have just been trying out features and giving feedback, but I am not really trying to put everything in right away. It has a long way to go. They are making so many changes including to the interface that I wonder if they had a test group at all before releasing the beta version.

With the way it is right now, it would take forever to enter everything one thing at a time. They are moving towards auto scheduling and lesson planning, but it seems that is going to be much closer to August to be a reality without kinks.

I wanted to put in our pictures from 4H activities and discovered that it was once again 1 picture at a time instead of an up loader that can handle multiple pictures at one time.

Long story short-I don't think the time saving features or posting more than one item in lesson planning, scheduling, or pictures is going to be fully functional until after the August release date.

This is kind of a bummer. I really want to get WPD but without the auto scheduler it is useless to me. I really need to plan in July not August, since that is when we start... Seems like that is an important feature and they would have had it ready earlier.

This is kind of a bummer. I really want to get WPD but without the auto scheduler it is useless to me. I really need to plan in July not August, since that is when we start... Seems like that is an important feature and they would have had it ready earlier.

I think they set it up very similar to their written planner thinking one day at a time planning. I don't think they realized the need for automated isbn look up, scheduling, or lesson planning until they released the beta and everyone was comparing it to homeschool tracker and scholaric. That is why I wonder if their test group (before beta) went outside their family and friends. It doesn't seem that they had a good idea of what the homeschooling needs would be for the home schooling element of their online planner.

I think what they envision will be a wonderful planner once it is fully up and running and revamped to meet the needs of the users. In the meantime, I bought a written planner and I do have homeschool tracker plus on the pc.

Has anyone else tried to schedule appointments? Like ortho or dr. appts.? I can't really find anyway to schedule them for a specific time and date on the calendar.

That's too bad... I'm already getting quite a lot of flak from dh about it - he's a techy guy and loves building databases. When he saw WPD he couldn't believe I would buy something like that and started asking questions about how I could export all of my data if WPD ended or if I wanted to switch to something else. I'm guessing there's no data export option (not that *I'm* that worried).

I hope the development happens quickly and I'm able to plan my year. We're not starting until the last week in August anyway, but I know I need to be really comfortable using WPD by then or I won't end up using it at all.

I am also looking forward to the app versions - I'd love for it to work well on my iPad and phone.

That's too bad... I'm already getting quite a lot of flak from dh about it - he's a techy guy and loves building databases. When he saw WPD he couldn't believe I would buy something like that and started asking questions about how I could export all of my data if WPD ended or if I wanted to switch to something else. I'm guessing there's no data export option (not that *I'm* that worried).

I hope the development happens quickly and I'm able to plan my year. We're not starting until the last week in August anyway, but I know I need to be really comfortable using WPD by then or I won't end up using it at all.

I am also looking forward to the app versions - I'd love for it to work well on my iPad and phone.

Every time the export question gets asked, they respond with you will be able to always log on and view and print your data...you just won't be able to add to it unless you subscribe yearly. I think that would be a bit of a pain with transcripts not to be able to export it to at least pdf view and save.

I am very curious what reports are going to be available as well.

I've been putting in curriculum but that is about it. I listened to the most recent Q&A and they said their priority at this moment is assignments. The lead programmer's daughter was in the hospital, so I'm assuming that could slow things down a bit.

This is the latest message on Facebook: "Hoping to be able to add single events into your calendar by week's end!"

The next Q&A will be July 2nd.

I like the vision that they have, however I'm not sure this is going to be ready for you summer planners.

It's tough because it feels like there is so little you can do currently with some of the functions, that I don't even know where to start with suggestions. I feel like I'm brainstorming how the product should actually work instead of naming the things that I'd like to see finetuned. And with the continued delays in things being fixed or implemented, I wonder whether I should bother to point out that certain things aren't working right now. Is the thing I'm having trouble with even going to be there after the next round of improvements?

I am very sorry that so many of the programmers are having family medical issues. (Or is it the same one?) I wish they would stop announcing that things would be ready by such and such a date, because I just get more and more disappointed when those dates get pushed back.

I'm still waiting to see what all of these August improvements are. I need a lot more convenience and flexibility than I'm getting right now.

It's tough because it feels like there is so little you can do currently with some of the functions, that I don't even know where to start with suggestions. I feel like I'm brainstorming how the product should actually work instead of naming the things that I'd like to see finetuned. And with the continued delays in things being fixed or implemented, I wonder whether I should bother to point out that certain things aren't working right now. Is the thing I'm having trouble with even going to be there after the next round of improvements?

:iagree:

Any updates on improvements?

Also, I went ahead and bought it since this is the first online planner I've actually been immediately attracted to. I love the layout and it seems like they have big plans for nice upgrades. I thought the savings over two years was worth the risk.

My big question, however, is how do you get the thing off and running at all? I paid, received an e-mail that says they will let me know when the software ships but on the site it says that it's not a software download but a "web-based software planner." :confused: What does that mean? Did you all have to wait to receive software in the mail or were you able to log on right away? Someone, talk to me like I'm 5, seriously, because I thought I would be able to access the program right away. Since it was a bit of an impulse buy, not being able to do that yesterday made me a bit :willy_nilly:.

Also, I went ahead and bought it since this is the first online planner I've actually been immediately attracted to. I love the layout and it seems like they have big plans for nice upgrades. I thought the savings over two years was worth the risk.

My big question, however, is how do you get the thing off and running at all? I paid, received an e-mail that says they will let me know when the software ships but on the site it says that it's not a software download but a "web-based software planner." :confused: What does that mean? Did you all have to wait to receive software in the mail or were you able to log on right away? Someone, talk to me like I'm 5, seriously, because I thought I would be able to access the program right away. Since it was a bit of an impulse buy, not being able to do that yesterday made me a bit :willy_nilly:.

It is an online planner. There isn't software for the pc. Your planner is available at http://www.homeschoolconvention.com/mywellplannedday.html

There should be a link in your email that will ask you to set up your username and password. Then you log in to the above site. Your planner information is saved on their server so that you can access it from anywhere with internet. Right now they do not seem to have plans for exporting from the online planner, but they do have plans for apps that will allow you to work offline and sync it to the online planner. The apps are not due out until the August release.

I will tell you that it is not internet explorer friendly. It works best in Firefox or Chrome.

I would suggest going to their facebook page and clicking the Q&A at the top of the timeline. There should be 2 videos that you can watch that will really help you to get started. The next Q&A video session will be Friday, July 5.

It is an online planner. There isn't software for the pc. Your planner is available at http://www.homeschoolconvention.com/mywellplannedday.html

There should be a link in your email that will ask you to set up your username and password. Then you log in to the above site. Your planner information is saved on their server so that you can access it from anywhere with internet. Right now they do not seem to have plans for exporting from the online planner, but they do have plans for apps that will allow you to work offline and sync it to the online planner. The apps are not due out until the August release.

I will tell you that it is not internet explorer friendly. It works best in Firefox or Chrome.

I would suggest going to their facebook page and clicking the Q&A at the top of the timeline. There should be 2 videos that you can watch that will really help you to get started. The next Q&A video session will be Friday, July 5.

Thanks for the quick reply! I watched the video yesterday (only saw one but I'll go back today). I do use Firefox, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The bolded is exactly what I expected but there is no instruction to that effect in my e-mail. Instead it says, "Your payment has been approved. You will receive another notice when your order is shipped." :confused: Yeah, I need to e-mail them, I guess. :glare:

Thanks for the quick reply! I watched the video yesterday (only saw one but I'll go back today). I do use Firefox, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The bolded is exactly what I expected but there is no instruction to that effect in my e-mail. Instead it says, "Your payment has been approved. You will receive another notice when your order is shipped." :confused: Yeah, I need to e-mail them, I guess. :glare:

You get a second email to set up your login. When I bought mine it took three days, bit I purchased it the first day. They do it manually right now, it may take until Monday if they are put for the weekend.

You get a second email to set up your login. When I bought mine it took three days, bit I purchased it the first day. They do it manually right now, it may take until Monday if they are put for the weekend.

Oh, thank you!! I am irritated to have to wait but you saved me a couple of days of just being frustrated and annoyed! :tongue_smilie:

Same thing happened to me last night. I was hoping to have access right away and then I couldn't access my FAV forum to find out. :( Glad to see its not just me.

Whatt!??! Online only! I did not realize that. After having withdrawals for 2 days from the WTM forums, and seeing how Mother Nature can affect these things, I would hate to have my planner online only....what if I can't access the internet or their servers go down....ugh.

Whatt!??! Online only! I did not realize that. After having withdrawals for 2 days from the WTM forums, and seeing how Mother Nature can affect these things, I would hate to have my planner online only....what if I can't access the internet or their servers go down....ugh.

No, no, no! Don't worry! You will have the ability to view and work offline, then sync when online. (That's what they say anyway. I haven't gotten started yet. :D)

Guest tdunc17

I was wondering if someone can help me ~ I've tried to enter in assignments and it just acts crazy. Even if I fill in all the fields correctly it will enter in the assignment sometimes 3 times, sometimes it says that it is already completed. Even once I do get a few that look right I can't figure out where I go to see who has to do what on what day.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. If I can't use it how can they say that it is 80% finished and actually charge me. When I contacted support they just asked me what browser I used then sent me an email listing updates.

I'm running out of time and I have wasted so much time. If I were to try something else what would I even try? I have three students and there is absolutely no way that I can enter in 1000's of assignments (8 subjects 175 days) like this. Should I just go back to paper?

I was wondering if someone can help me ~ I've tried to enter in assignments and it just acts crazy. Even if I fill in all the fields correctly it will enter in the assignment sometimes 3 times, sometimes it says that it is already completed. Even once I do get a few that look right I can't figure out where I go to see who has to do what on what day.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. If I can't use it how can they say that it is 80% finished and actually charge me. When I contacted support they just asked me what browser I used then sent me an email listing updates.

I'm running out of time and I have wasted so much time. If I were to try something else what would I even try? I have three students and there is absolutely no way that I can enter in 1000's of assignments (8 subjects 175 days) like this. Should I just go back to paper?

Have you tried HST + ? It's a great program if all you need it for is lesson plans/ assignments etc. And their customer service is really excellent. I am trying out the beta WPD also. It is a lot nicer to look at than HST :)

But honestly, I don't know how they will compete with HST in the Lesson planning part of their program. Once you learn how to use it (HST), it can do just about anything you need it to. It's just not a planner you would use for everything else in your life. I think that is where the WPD's strength is. But for those who have learned and used HST, it will be hard to give up the versatility it offers for your homeschool planning. JMHO.

Renee

I think it was 80% completed before they redid the interface to compete with homeschool tracker and other homeschool planners out there. If you are using Internet Explorer, it is horrible...switch to Firefox or Chrome.

Honestly, if you want to get all your assignments in before August this year...I would suggest getting a paper planner or trying homeschool tracker. I bought one of the WPD paper planners when I got the beta digital planner.

I do think the draw is that it will do it all in the end for you to schedule and plan your family. I think it is overwhelming though since they revamped the entire interface one week into Beta. They didn't seem to have a clue about their competitors abilities in the homeschool lesson plans/scheduling. They didn't seem to have an idea on what homeschool families needed from their digital planner. With all the suggestions in Beta, they have had to go back to the drawing board on quite a lot of the interface. It definitely was not ready for anyone to plan ahead of time this summer for their school year. It was set up more like their printed planner where you would enter one item at a time by subject daily. Now they are rushing to make it more akin to the capabilities of hst+ and other digital planners out there.

In it's current state, you are waiting for updates and revisions and everything is supposed to be fully functioning and ready by August release date. So if you are an early planner and want to start now, I would get a printed planner and then keep checking back for updates and new beta releases.

I'm frustrated as well. I can't believe I paid 40 bucks to use something I can't plan my lessons in. It's a planner for heaven's sake. Next week they claim we will have the ability to write lesson plans, but that is yet to be seen. It is also equally as crazy that if you cancel in the first 40 days you still loose 10 percent of what you paid.... and this month of "beta testing" counts as part of your year subscription. :glare:

I finally got around to watching the July 5th Q&A. Looks like the lesson planning features should be released July 16th. That's Monday! I am waiting until Monday to purchase because then the final version should be out in the beginning of August within my 30 day guarantee period. ;)

As to comparing it to HST+, I have been researching quite a bit and I *think* WPD should do most of what HST+ online does. The only thing I have not gotten an answer for that would be important to me is 2 or 3 part incremental lesson plans. Otherwise, it looks like it will be comparable to the other online planners just + a whole lot more for household type things. I really love the idea of an app I can use offline. Honestly, that is the main reason I am holding out for it. Also, I was relatively happy with HST+ and even scholaric was fine, but HST+ online is just not as intuitive as I would have liked. Honestly it too just as long to put my already completed lesson plan into assignments as it did to assign it in Scholaric, so I vetoed HST+ online as an option. Just doesn't do enough to be worth the price compared to Scholaric. So for online planners, I am down to WPD and Scholaric.

Have you tried HST + ? It's a great program if all you need it for is lesson plans/ assignments etc. And their customer service is really excellent. I am trying out the beta WPD also. It is a lot nicer to look at than HST :)

But honestly, I don't know how they will compete with HST in the Lesson planning part of their program. Once you learn how to use it (HST), it can do just about anything you need it to. It's just not a planner you would use for everything else in your life. I think that is where the WPD's strength is. But for those who have learned and used HST, it will be hard to give up the versatility it offers for your homeschool planning. JMHO.

Renee

Just curious, what features does HST+ online have that WPD will not?

I thought lesson plans were supposed to be up today? Has that changed?

I have been using HST+ for the last few days (the online version) because I don't feel very confident the WPD will be ready in time for us to start. Plus I am trying to get this lesson planning stuff DONE so I can enjoy the rest of my summer;)

I really, really want to love the WPD software, but I am having a hard time imagining that the functionality is going to be anywhere near HST+ anytime soon. Oh how I hope they prove me wrong!

I am finally getting the hang of HST+, and it is pretty powerful. But, WPD is so pretty, lol. I really hope they can get this up and usable before the beginning of the year. I am already going to have to re-enter what I have in HST+, I just don't want to feel like I just wasted my money on something that is only so-so.:glare:

I thought lesson plans were supposed to be up today? Has that changed?

I have been using HST+ for the last few days (the online version) because I don't feel very confident the WPD will be ready in time for us to start. Plus I am trying to get this lesson planning stuff DONE so I can enjoy the rest of my summer;)

I really, really want to love the WPD software, but I am having a hard time imagining that the functionality is going to be anywhere near HST+ anytime soon. Oh how I hope they prove me wrong!

I am finally getting the hang of HST+, and it is pretty powerful. But, WPD is so pretty, lol. I really hope they can get this up and usable before the beginning of the year. I am already going to have to re-enter what I have in HST+, I just don't want to feel like I just wasted my money on something that is only so-so.:glare:

They HAD said the 14th, then said it was a typo and changed it to the 19th :glare:

I'm still mad that I only have 30 days to decide, and in the last 30 days, they haven't had lesson planning capabilities. Ugh. My 30 days is up today.

I decided to try it out of curiosity and wanting to compare it to HST+.

I hate to admit it, but I'm very disappointed. It certainly is more visually appealing than HST, but it seems the focus is more on the household management stuff than on educational planning. The tabs for things like budgeting, calendar, chores, memories, shopping, and todos are all there (although very simplistic in their use). Frankly, I don't need my lesson planning software to do this for me.

After looking at those, I decided to dive into the "meat" of the program. Imagine my surprise when it doesn't have the ability to do lesson plans or reports. :001_huh: Really? How does a company justify releasing a homeschooling planning software and NOT have the lesson plan function up and running yet?

So those are my .02 and I will be asking for a refund very shortly since I see no reason to continue using it. Based on their assignment tab, I just don't see the lesson planning part ever having the power or flexibility that HST+ does.

I have been super frustrated. I was waiting to purchase until lesson planning came out, which was the 14th, then the 19th, now the 26th! :glare: I feel as though the storm excuse might have given them a day or 2 but this much time begs for them just being unprepared for the release. I really wanted to purchase before Aug 1st, but I will not buy a lesson planner that can't lesson plan. :001_huh:

I really want to see what the lesson planning features will really do and not just what they say. Because honestly, their word doesn't seem to mean much right now. :leaving:

I'm more of a "do the next" thing type of person so I bought this just because I love planners ;). I knew this was a BETA program and even I have been frustrated. It's been a little more BETA than I expected. I'm thinking they bit off a little more than they could chew with a promised August release date.

I'm looking forward to the finished product but I have a feeling that it won't be ready in August.

I, too, have purchased the planner and have mixed feelings. I think it is headed in a good direction, but it is hard to get ready for school starting in a week when my planning materials can't make lesson plans. I also am not totally convinced it is better than the paper planner, although I think it can be. I love their company, and I am looking forward to the final product. I didn't know about HST+...I'll be researching that.