Menu

What do you use for workboxes? Pictures please!

I don't have a picture, but I used to use one milk crate to store the day's work. Each individual assignment would be stored in a jumbo ziplock bag. It wasn't pretty or fancy, but it was dirt cheap and took very little room. I put velcro circles on the bags and stuck numbers on them in the order I wanted them done. After DD would complete a bag, she'd take the velcro number off and stick it on a list, so I could easily see where she was and what had been done.

These are what we use...although ours are not these colorful ones, our are shades of white, gray and black. http://www.joann.com/storage-cart-with-10-drawers-multi-color/zprd_02348241a/

These are perfect because they do not require alot of floor space. The drawers slid out easily enough. They have fit almost everything I've needed them to fit, including binders. Binders don't lay flat in them, one side sticks up just a bit, but doesn't interfere with the slide in/out.

The top part is a nice shelf for a storage container of markers, crayons, etc...whatever you need handy.

I don't use actual drawers or any boxes because I didn't want to have to fill them each day or use that much space. I use a pocket portfolio and laminated task cards. I posted about it here. I love it because I can plan the whole week at one time and take it with us easily if we need to do any schooling on the road.

These are what we use...although ours are not these colorful ones, our are shades of white, gray and black. http://www.joann.com/storage-cart-with-10-drawers-multi-color/zprd_02348241a/

These are perfect because they do not require alot of floor space. The drawers slid out easily enough. They have fit almost everything I've needed them to fit, including binders. Binders don't lay flat in them, one side sticks up just a bit, but doesn't interfere with the slide in/out.

The top part is a nice shelf for a storage container of markers, crayons, etc...whatever you need handy.

I use the same thing.

Link to pictures here

The only thing I don't like with them is that they can tip easily if you have little ones in the house. We ended up having to use a couple of pieces of a play-yard to gate the baby out of them.

I don't use actual drawers or any boxes because I didn't want to have to fill them each day or use that much space. I use a pocket portfolio and laminated task cards. I posted about it here. I love it because I can plan the whole week at one time and take it with us easily if we need to do any schooling on the road.

Did you purchase the pocket portfolios from staples? (The link is not working for me.) These look great! I like how you used them!

Just an FYI - Confessions of a Homeschooler posted last night that the colorful scrapbook boxes (the ones that people have pictured here) are 40% off this week at Michaels. Then there is also a 20% off coupon in their weekly ad that you can add to it.

http://michaels.shoplocal.com/michaels/default.aspx?action=entryflash

You can search the ad for the workboxes, I think they are on page 2. HTH

Edited by fourcatmom

I posted this in a different workbox thread but it fits here as well:

I use workboxes but the broke (all of those storage units are expensive!), small space (I do not have room for the storage units or shoeboxes), and lazy (no filling any folders, binders, boxes, etc. every night) way.

My children keep all of their books, workbooks, binders, etc. in one large fabric bin from Wal-mart.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8969&thumb=1&d=1338752283

Then I have their "workbox chart". This shows them what subjects we are doing that day and in what order. They know what book to get out of ther bin for that lesson.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8970&thumb=1&d=1338752326

When we finish a subject they take the picture off of their chart and put it in a small plastic container that I leave on the table.

I have a more detailed explanation in this blog post.

How I Plan Our Homeschool Day

I love the system we have now and will keep it for the forseeable future.

Just an FYI - Confessions of a Homeschooler posted last night that the colorful scrapbook boxes (the ones that people have pictured here) are 40% off this week at Michaels. Then there is also a 20% off coupon in their weekly ad that you can add to it.

Thanks! I have been looking at these for quite a while. This may be the push I need ;)

I cannot find the ones I bought at JoAnn's last year when they have back to school storage. Dh and I did a lot of research (especially reading reviews on Amazon) which led us away from these, and to these instead. However, when I went to JoAnn's to actually buy them I found metal mesh carts with 7 drawers. We decided to go with those (I paid about $120 for both, including tax, but did not use a coupon) because we have three little dc and figure they will last longer.

Oh, I found one that is the same here! The only difference is that mine are black instead of silver.

ETA: We also bought this from Sam's because the drawers are wider and will hold bigger textbooks and notebooks flat. This wisdom was gleaned from another thread on WTM. We are now using it for art supplies but it may get used for a workbox cart as the dc get bigger. It has 10 drawers.

Edited by PentecostalMom

Did you purchase the pocket portfolios from staples? (The link is not working for me.) These look great! I like how you used them!

I actually had that binder for quite some time. Sorry about the link, Staples no longer has that exact brand. My local Wal-mart has a portfolio almost just like it, or it did about 1.5 months ago. A friend found a 10 pocket portfolio without the holders on the front of each pocket. She just glued sturdy envelopes to the front of each pocket to hold the task cards she made. She said they held up all year.

She used something like this, but she found it at Staples in the store. It didn't have comb binding, had 10 pockets and had an elastic band for closure.

I hope you can find something similar!

Ohh, just called my mom to let her know these are on the top of my birthday wish list. They have been for 2 years, but that deal is too awesome to pass up.

Ohh, just called my mom to let her know these are on the top of my birthday wish list. They have been for 2 years, but that deal is too awesome to pass up.

I think someone said the original price was $69, so that brings them down quite a bit. More of a reasonable price, imo.

I think someone said the original price was $69, so that brings them down quite a bit. More of a reasonable price, imo.

I agree! I explained to my mom I have had them on my wishlist forever and ultimately want 4, if she gets me 1 or 2 for my birthday next week that would help immensely. My big kids I am done with workboxes for, but my 2 little ones I want to still do them, but the way we are doing them now is not working.

We have these and they cost about $25 each at Sam's Club and they include the baskets. I have my DD put her completed work in the top basket. The baskets are deep and big enough to put her books. There is plenty of room in each basket to put two subjects. There are wheels, so the carts can be moved around if needed, but it's also nice that we can engage the locks on two of the wheels since I don't need them to be moved around for now.

We use a plastic hanging file box 1 for each child. I place the pages, etc, into each hanging file. I put velcro dots on outside of each file to stick the numbers 1-12 to, with each file designated a number. On outside of cube is a paper square with12 receiver velcro dots. When they complete what is in the file, or at least complete that specific subject, they move the number onto the outside graphic. They are done when all receiver dots have a corresponding number stuck to it. I labeled the hanging files with subject names.

This way, if I am busy, I really don't even have to remove pages, they just move the numbers.

HTH,

Edited by bnbacademy

We no longer use these, since DD does better with a list now, but we used to use magazine holders like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Bankers-Magazine-Holders-Letter-10723/dp/B000J09BKG

I didn't have a lot of room for boxes or bins, so this worked well. Any large items that didn't fit, I just left on the table and put a note in the magazine holder.

This, including not using them now (at least not like we did orginally) but from IKEA.

Here were my requirements for workboxes:

1. Inexpensive

2. Nothing I have to find space for

3. something I could use for another purpose

I posted this in a different workbox thread but it fits here as well:

I use workboxes but the broke (all of those storage units are expensive!), small space (I do not have room for the storage units or shoeboxes), and lazy (no filling any folders, binders, boxes, etc. every night) way.

My children keep all of their books, workbooks, binders, etc. in one large fabric bin from Wal-mart.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8969&thumb=1&d=1338752283

Then I have their "workbox chart". This shows them what subjects we are doing that day and in what order. They know what book to get out of ther bin for that lesson.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8970&thumb=1&d=1338752326

When we finish a subject they take the picture off of their chart and put it in a small plastic container that I leave on the table.

I have a more detailed explanation in this blog post.

How I Plan Our Homeschool Day

I love the system we have now and will keep it for the forseeable future.

This is exactly how we roll with work boxes :) except we use these (with the lid off so tall books can stick out) for each child and one for all our current history books (because we do group history). I just added the use of a paper check list and love it.

I love how adaptable workboxes are. We have tried a couple of variations on WBs but this is *IT* for our family.

We have these and they cost about $25 each at Sam's Club and they include the baskets. I have my DD put her completed work in the top basket. The baskets are deep and big enough to put her books. There is plenty of room in each basket to put two subjects. There are wheels, so the carts can be moved around if needed, but it's also nice that we can engage the locks on two of the wheels since I don't need them to be moved around for now.

Hoping you see this..... Can you link to them? Would love to see them.

Which ones are you refering too?

I found a cart like most people have been talking about here, (the ones on sale at Michaels) for $12 at our used curriculum sale tonight! I was jumping up and down I was so happy!!!! I'm not sure if we will use it for workboxes, my ds2 was alreading pulling out the drawers :glare: but I'm sure I'll find some use for it. I think I need something with lids to keep the little guy out!

Another FYI - I saw the colored workbox cart at Wal-Mart today and it was only $34. If you don't have a Michael's or a coupon for the other discount, this is comparable in price. Online it's about $60. Not sure why there is such a difference between these online sites and what's available in the stores.

This one was made by Mainstays. HTH :001_smile:

I use the same thing.

Link to pictures here

The only thing I don't like with them is that they can tip easily if you have little ones in the house. We ended up having to use a couple of pieces of a play-yard to gate the baby out of them.

Do you have the Phineas labels available on your blog somewhere?? I am thinking about using workboxes for my upcoming 4th grade son who loves Phineas and Ferb.

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm not planning to do workboxes (exactly), but I'd like to get rid of ds's desk. I have spent the past few days trying to figure out what to do with his stuff that's in the desk. We have shelves in several rooms, but not close to where we work. Lots of good ideas for me to check out. :D

ETA: We also bought this from Sam's because the drawers are wider and will hold bigger textbooks and notebooks flat. This wisdom was gleaned from another thread on WTM. We are now using it for art supplies but it may get used for a workbox cart as the dc get bigger. It has 10 drawers.

How much did you pay for this? It won't list the price for me. I am almost an hour away from Sam's so I just can't swing by. :tongue_smilie: But, I am planning a trip there soon. Also, is it sturdy?

How much did you pay for this? It won't list the price for me. I am almost an hour away from Sam's so I just can't swing by. :tongue_smilie: But, I am planning a trip there soon. Also, is it sturdy?

those are 22 dollars at my sams club. I have a few of them but replaced them with the rainbow boxes for this year per DS1's requests LOL :lol:

the ones from sams work pretty well but they do come off track rather easily we have not had this problem with the rainbow carts at all and are loving them. I do still have 1 white cart in our room that I will leave for larger books and activities. I still have the velcro dots on it so I can still put up number tags if needed.

This is the same one that I use. I love the boxes for my little ones...I can put a few activities in them and they can do them on their own without any assistance from me. The hard part is actually being diligent to fill them every day!

Well I am Queen Cheapo so my FIL built me 2 sets of shelves to go under my windows. We used 1x4's. They are only 3 shelves high with just enough room for the dishpan bins to slide in and out of. They are each 4 feet long and fit perfectly under the wall of windows in our school room. Each kiddo has 4 bins on bottom and middle shelf and 3 bins on top shelf with plenty of room for subject binders. He left the side boards about 6 inches longer so it is a perfect book end for the binders. I actually let each kiddo paint their own shelf however they wanted. It cost me about $20 in 1x4's and the dishpans were $1 (each have 11) so that is $22. So total was $42 for both sets. Nothing else could fit on that wall unless I wanted to cover over the windows so this worked out perfectly! Plus it was the cheapest way I could come up with.

We love them too! Found the tags here: http://rhomeschoolhale.com/i-love-workboxes/

Thank you for this link!! I wasn't going to print off the Phineas & Ferb character numbers, but dd liked them so much. So, I gave in. :001_smile: They are our nicest numbers that we have for the workboxes. I also really liked the check marks.

Does anyone know if there are Spongebob workbox number printables somewhere? Dd would really love that!

• 4 months later...
Well I am Queen Cheapo so my FIL built me 2 sets of shelves to go under my windows. We used 1x4's. They are only 3 shelves high with just enough room for the dishpan bins to slide in and out of. They are each 4 feet long and fit perfectly under the wall of windows in our school room. Each kiddo has 4 bins on bottom and middle shelf and 3 bins on top shelf with plenty of room for subject binders. He left the side boards about 6 inches longer so it is a perfect book end for the binders. I actually let each kiddo paint their own shelf however they wanted. It cost me about $20 in 1x4's and the dishpans were $1 (each have 11) so that is $22. So total was $42 for both sets. Nothing else could fit on that wall unless I wanted to cover over the windows so this worked out perfectly! Plus it was the cheapest way I could come up with.

I would love to see a picture of this.:)