Menu

Possible transfer due to major

Miss Marple

My ds#2 is contemplating a possible transfer to another university after this coming school year when he will finish his sophomore year. He has played with the idea of getting a nuclear engineering degree vs. a mechanical engineering with emphasis on nuclear (available at OU). His interest appears to be in the area of medical nuclear. TAMU offers this degree and is highly ranked (#4) nationally. It is also closer to home than any of the other universities :D

We've looked the degree sheets (lists of courses for each semester). It doesn't look like completing the sophomore year at OU will be a problem. However, we are wondering a few things:

1. When would one apply for a transfer? Would it be best to go ahead and start the ball rolling now for fall 2013?

2. How does one determine the value of getting the BS in nuclear engineering vs. BS in mechanical with nuclear emphasis? Is the university competent to give us that information or would it be better to look at the industry? We've had some issue with competent advice when we need very specific information.

3. Would it be best to communicate directly with the Dean of the Nuclear program at TAMU? Would that be inappropriate?

4. Is it more likely that one will get into a masters program in the same school where one earned a BS or is it just as likely to get into a masters program anywhere?

These are the main questions we're hung up on right now. If anyone has advice, we would sure appreciate it if you would share it with us. This is a new road for me...I'm excited to see ds growing enough to know what he wants to do and to be willing to move somewhere else to accomplish it.

1. When would one apply for a transfer? Would it be best to go ahead and start the ball rolling now for fall 2013?.

It is not required that he start so early, but there is no harm in it. He should contact TAMU admissions.

2. How does one determine the value of getting the BS in nuclear engineering vs. BS in mechanical with nuclear emphasis? Is the university competent to give us that information or would it be better to look at the industry? We've had some issue with competent advice when we need very specific information.

I would do both. It is definitely a good idea for him to talk to people in industry and get their recommendations. Be careful though not to rely too much on the word of more mature people in industry unless they have been involved in hiring recently.

3. Would it be best to communicate directly with the Dean of the Nuclear program at TAMU? Would that be inappropriate?

It would be totally appropriate for your son to make that contact. He could contact admissions first but it isn't required.

4. Is it more likely that one will get into a masters program in the same school where one earned a BS or is it just as likely to get into a masters program anywheree

I don't think there is one single answer to this. Some schools are more fond admitting students who graduated from their program than others. It certainly is beneficial that he develop strong relationships with his professors either way. Their letters will carry a great deal of weight in his graduate school admissions chances.

Thank you, Barbara! This is very helpful. He is planning to send an e-mail to the TAMU dean this week. We were talking at breakfast this morning and I asked him what would stop him from enrolling there for spring 2013. He thought it might be a good idea to work for that. This one has to mull change for quite some time before getting comfortable with it which is why I'm so excited to see him working through this at a faster pace than usual :)

Cynthia,

I don't know anything specific about nuclear engineering, but I would suggest having your son (and you possibly, too) talk to the faculty at both his current school and the potential new one.

I would want to find out if there is any kind of licensing needed to work in the nuclear industry -- I'm just guessing that there might be. If so, maybe qualifying for a license is easier with the NE major? You might also have your son look at job postings on his current school's website. If any of these jobs are in the nuclear engineering area, he could try to contact a company or two and see if he can ask someone there for feedback on major.

The only thing that would scare me about a straight nuclear engineering major is I wonder how many job opportunities there are for that. Mechanical is much, much more broad. If he went to the 2nd school, could he double major in ME & NE -- I wonder if there would be a benefit to that...

If I were you, I think I'd try to schedule a visit to TAMU for my son and me this summer to explore the possibility of a transfer. I'd want to have him meet with a Nuclear Engineering professor there so he could try to get as many of his questions answered as possible. Somehow, I think I'd be more nervous about trying to do all the research on the web and only make phone contacts. If I went with my son, I'd let him take the lead in the discussions, but I'd want to be there (at the end at least) to help interpret the responses and make sure all the questions were answered.

Best wishes in your/his research!

Brenda

Definitely! He needs to set up an appointment with a knowledgeable person in the engineering dept. at his current school in order to ask some questions. He did say that he wants me to be there because he is afraid he will forget some of our questions or not ask the right questions after an answer.

He has spent this past semester toying with the nuclear idea. He has narrowed his interest to medical nuclear engineering. Based on dh's and my career paths, we think that there will always be a need in that field...probably different from the need in the nuclear energy field. And according to many of the websites we've visited, there appears to be a shortage of students going into anything nuclear.

Honestly when he indicated he was interested in mechanical engineering, dh and I were a little hesitant. This is a fella who doesn't like to "fiddle" with stuff (as opposed to his younger brother). So branching out of mechanical into a sub-specialty seems to be more in line with his personality. His older brother sees him as a professor type :). And I can see that as well. The career path to the medical nuclear engineering seems more directed to a graduate degree of some sort. Being that he is not romatically attached at this time, he has no problem looking at the future years of education.

The Big 12 has come up with a "plan" that allows a student to specialize in nuclear at those schools where the nuclear degree is not offered. OU offers this plan. It appears to involve online courses from other schools. It may be that the specialization in nuclear is as valuable as the specific degree - that's one of our questions. And, like you said, it would be easier to go from mechanical into something else later if desired.