Menu

Is 6th grade to old for Lively Latin..

as you can see from my numerous previous post I was having trouble deciding between Lively Latin and Latin for Children. I had pretty much decided on Lively Latin when I read some previous posts that thought 6th grade was too old for Lively Latin. So now I'm leaning towards LFC. I do really like the looks of both programs. I do like the fact that there is a teaching dvd for LFC. So is this a better fit for a 5th and 6th grader? Has anyone went from Lively Latin to LFC Primer B. I am placing a RR order this morning and need to make the decision now. I think I have put too much thought into this.

as you can see from my numerous previous post I was having trouble deciding between Lively Latin and Latin for Children. I had pretty much decided on Lively Latin when I read some previous posts that thought 6th grade was too old for Lively Latin. So now I'm leaning towards LFC. I do really like the looks of both programs. I do like the fact that there is a teaching dvd for LFC. So is this a better fit for a 5th and 6th grader? Has anyone went from Lively Latin to LFC Primer B. I am placing a RR order this morning and need to make the decision now. I think I have put too much thought into this.

I would choose Lively Latin over LFC any day of the week. My daughter used LFC in 3rd grade, and while she did a lot of memorization, she didn't get much understanding. There was very little translation.

Lively Latin seems to include much better explanations and maybe even a little more translation. (It's been a while since I viewed the samples.)

After LFC, we switched to Latin Prep. I loved that program, but I really needed to spend a little more time working with dd on other subjects, so we dropped it.

Next year, for 6th grade, we will be starting Latin again. I am planning to go back to Latin Prep, since I already have it. But I have been tempted by Lively Latin myself. I like the amount of practice that it gives the student. Latin is so much different than English in so many ways. I really want to know that my daughter has mastered something before we move on to the next new thing. Because Lively Latin is geared towards younger kids, it provides a lot more repetition than most other programs for 6th grade.

So I would say a lot depends on your student, and really on you, too. I would venture to guess that YOU would learn more from LL or LP than either of you would learn from LFC. (This is just my opinion, and I know lots of people like this program. Just offering a view from the other side!)

So between LL and LFC, I would pick LL any day.

Between LL and LP, that has a lot more to do with your individual student.