Menu

Spielvogel's Human Odyssey for Modern History?

My youngest will be grade 8 next year and we plan to cover modern history (Renaissance onwards) using Spielvogel's Human Odyssey, mostly because I have it and it used to be the history text of choice on the WTM boards ; ) He's a strong reader/ writer for his age and enjoys history; unfortunately, the closer history gets to the present day, the less engaging I find it. We've covered earlier history and geography in co-op classes where the interaction of the students, Book of the Centuries binders, Poster Projects,and crafts made the study of history more "fun," but next year we'll be on our own for history and I can't see him following the same pattern under those circumstances (in my experience with my older sons, it's not terribly interesting to work on assorted projects or binders when no one else will ever hear/ see them). Any suggestions on any supplemental material to flesh out HO (for him) or to make it more interesting (for me)? Thanks.