Menu

Looking for a decent microscope. Suggestions?

Magic Wand

The girls really want a microscope. I've been looking through Home Science Tools, but really don't know how to evaluate whether or not we're getting something decent.

My friend says there is a wide range of quality available in the $200 price range. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

We just got a Brock Magiscope - it should be here today. I ordered from RR but they have just the base scope left (although the other 2 pieces they have in stock make up package 3). Brock is waiting for some optics and has backorders. I'll add the 40x Objective to get my package 4 today hopefully.

But given the years we have left to use it, the ruggedness was what we needed!

http://www.magiscope.com/products.html'>http://www.magiscope.com/products.html'>http://www.magiscope.com/products.html'>http://www.magiscope.com/products.html

ETA: use this link - you can get everywhere better! LOL!!

http://www.magiscope.com/

The order form is where they show the packages.

We have the Brock and I love it. It doesn't use electricity so we can take it anywhere, so we take it camping or I can use it at the community ed. science classes I teach and so on. Most people here who have bought the Brock bought package III. (You'll see what I'm talking about if you check it out at Rainbow.)

Generally when people ask here for microscope recommendations, it's either Brock or Sonlight. Kind of nice to have the field narrowed down so nicely-hopefully it will make your decision making easier. :)

I just got my Brock!!!

I love it - just sitting here it is easy for the kids to use, the lumarod thing just ROCKS. I couldn't believe the differences when i put my finger on the end of it how dark it got underneath.

So, i'm HAPPY!!!!! :D

(i just had to tell anyone that will care! LOL!!)

We love our Brock Magiscope too. It took a little getting used to, and we have to remember not to sit between the lumarod and the window, but now we use it all the time.

The Brock also has a lifetime warranty, even if the breakage is your fault (e.g., if your toddler drops the thing...repeatedly). It's so sturdy and the lenses are housed so well and so deeply that I can't imagine what it would take to break it, but still, that's a huge plus. We also like taking ours places.

We bought one of the packages at Rainbow Resource (qualifies you for the free shipping over $150), and I also bought the carrying case and holster through Brock directly. It gets a big thumbs up from us.

Oh, and don't forget to buy slides. So far, we've just been laying our specimens out on Post-its, and that works well enough, but slides would be better :lol:

We love our Brock Magiscope too. It took a little getting used to, and we have to remember not to sit between the lumarod and the window, but now we use it all the time.

DD just took it from me.... the room isn't overly bright, and she turned the light on.... but she had it facing HER, and was leaning on it. :lol:

and I also bought the carrying case and holster through Brock directly. It gets a big thumbs up from us.

These are next on my list. Do you find the holster easy for the kids to use?

Oh, and don't forget to buy slides. So far, we've just been laying our specimens out on Post-its, and that works well enough, but slides would be better :lol:

Ya, slides.... they are on my list from Hometraining tools! LOL!!!! I totally should have added them to the brock order today. They had some for $2.

Hey, good to see you, Wanda!! How have you been? :001_smile:

Thank you for asking; you're so thoughtful. We're doing as well as can be expected, I think. Nothing is resolved yet, we're just praying and moving forward.

Thank you for remembering us!

Now, how are you doing? I see you're still working on TOG Ancients? You must be near the end?

I just got my Brock!!!

I love it - (i just had to tell anyone that will care! LOL!!)

I care! LOL Thank you for link to the website. I think we've decided on the Brock as well.

Now, did you get any additional lenses? Glass slides, or plastic or both?

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention!