Menu

What to do about Latin?

My dd is 13, will be in 8th grade, and does not want to do Latin! I know it would probably be good for us to do anyway, but wonder whether it will be worth the battle...

Anyway, I have looked at Latin in the Christian Trivium, and that looks like it would be a fairly gentle approach. I've also looked at Latin Prep, which looks visually appealing; but trying to figure out how to order is intimidating to me. Any suggestions for me? TIA, Kathy

I think there are three separate questions here, and the answer to the last one depends on the answers to the first two.

(1) Who determines the course of study in your homeschool - you or your child?

(2) Why do you want her to study Latin (i.e., what are your goals for her with the language)?

(3) If you decide that Latin is important enough to you that you will insist on it, what will be the best way to approach it with a child who is not enthusiastic about the subject right now (and will ideally get her excited about it)?

For us, Latin is a non-negotiable subject. I certainly try to accommodate dd's preferences and needs in choosing curriculum, but ultimately she does not determine what subjects she studies; that's my responsibility. I would allow more input from child who is nearly in high school, but that would be in conjunction with discussions about her goals after high school and the other subjects she'd be studying.

Getting a child that age excited about Latin has something to do with the curriculum you choose, but also how it's being taught. An online class or small-group tutoring arrangement might be more effective (depending on the child's temperament and your budget) that just working through textbook at home. Just some thoughts.

to read Plaid Dad's website on the Latin-Centered Curriculum, which he has linked under his signature line. I really wish I had taken this approach----we did Matin Latin I and II (this was before I knew about Latina Christiana), then Henle I. So---my girls did complete two years of h.s. level Latin, but without enthusiasm. I wish I had known about LCC before attempting Latin. I personally love languages---I think they're fascinating to study, but failed to communicate this zest to my kiddos. I think for them a different approach would have worked better, perhaps incorporating Henle with Lingua Latina, which is a more reading-based approach.

At any rate, read what Plaid Dad has written under LCC----I really couldn't say it any better.

My dd is 13, will be in 8th grade, and does not want to do Latin! I know it would probably be good for us to do anyway, but wonder whether it will be worth the battle...

Yes, it is worth the battle -- and investment in time, energy & money IMHO :)

What are your goals for your students? Once you define the goals and objectives, then fill in the blanks. For us, Latin has provided the mental gymnastics that my kiddos needed. And no, it is not always 'fun' to study Latin. My motto is 'school is school, fun is fun'. Sometimes they overlap.

Oddly, my kids would tell anyone that Latin was one of their fav subjects last year, their first year of hs'ing.

We're watching the John Adams series now and there is a scene where Abigail is teaching her children Latin. If it was good enough for John Adams' children, it is logical that is is a good choice for us. Rambling to self now...:)

I think that doing a foreign language is worth the battle, but I'm not sure that Latin is, unless it offers something that you specifically want for your child. For us, Mandarin is compulsory, but if Calvin put his foot down, I'd let him drop Latin. Shhhh.... don't tell him.

Laura

I suppose I need to do my homework about Latin...If I were convinced it were necessary, I would have no problem requiring it. My dh is of Laura's opinion - just study a foreign language. He sees no need for Latin, so if I were to pursue this, I would have to be extremely convinced of the necessity. So, I am off to do my "Latin" homework. Thanks again, Kathy