Menu

Chicago area museums and free days - I have a question...

We bought a Pink Palace (which we never visit, I have horrid nightmare-ish memories from a trip as a child. Perhaps this pass will encourage me to get over the phobia :tongue_smilie:) membership for the reciprocal benefits out here in Chicago. I was surprised how many places reciprocated here. Someone also gave me a list with dates for "free general admission" dates. Many of the places are on our reciprocal list, but a few weren't. The two that I was interested in/had time to squeeze in were Shedd Aquarium and The Chicago Art Institute.

On the list, some places were listed as "free to Illinois residents", these were not. They just said "free entrance". Obviously, I don't have an Il DL and won't be getting one. I know we qualify for many "resident" things, like discounted pool membership and a library card, because we have an apartment lease. I don't want to try to get one over on anybody, I'm darn sure not dragging out my lease, though LOL I'd rather know beforehand whether we will be able to get in those days, though, so I can either clear the day or schedule something else. I'd be happy enough to pay to see the art museum, but Shedd is ridiculously expensive and I'm sure I can come up with something else to do on that day.

I just know if you do the Shedd on a free day, the wait is horrid. the wait is horrid quite a bit of the time, but it's insane on free day! You would need to still pay to see other parts of the museum as well, though there is plenty to see anyway.

I have actually been back up this way for nearly a year now and have yet to go to the shedd, even though I want to go. The members pass was crazy expensive and just to go for the day with my family would be a small fortune. I often see the line to enter the Shedd from some of the windows of the Field Museum because we do have a membership there and go on less crowded days.

I feel like I have to go some day though because from what I remember when I went 7 or 8 years ago, the Shedd wasn't that awesome :lol:. Maybe there's a bunch of new stuff. Maybe you get showered in gold now or something!

The Shedd free day only saves you like $8. Anything over an above that, you pay for. I repeatedly talk myself out of the Shedd because of the expense and the Yelp reviews. My husband went on an Art Institute free day and said it was totally worth it. The crowds really weren't that bad. Then again, I think it was February :D I don't remember how he proved residence, or if it even needed to, because he doesn't have an IL DL either. He doesn't need it because he just walks to work and uses public transport for everything else.

Oh, huh, see you learn something new all the time. How does the Shedd free day only save $8....because it is waaay over $8 general admission :tongue_smilie: WAY!

I have to agree with prairiebird, to take a family is UNreal. DD really wants to go, which is why I considered the free day. I love aquariums, and I'll happily pay a reasonable price to see one, but something about Shedd ticks me off a bit. Perhaps it's that they "don't reciprocate with anyone" and charge such a chunk to get in, shouldn't these places be trying to be accessible? It almost feels like they don't want you to come.

Oh, huh, see you learn something new all the time. How does the Shedd free day only save $8....because it is waaay over $8 general admission :tongue_smilie: WAY!

I have to agree with prairiebird, to take a family is UNreal. DD really wants to go, which is why I considered the free day. I love aquariums, and I'll happily pay a reasonable price to see one, but something about Shedd ticks me off a bit. Perhaps it's that they "don't reciprocate with anyone" and charge such a chunk to get in, shouldn't these places be trying to be accessible? It almost feels like they don't want you to come.

Me too. It seems like they are cruising on past reputation. I'd be happy for someone to disagree with me and explain why, but I've never seen anything that convinces me otherwise. It's just too expensive and too crowded. Here is the price list:

http://sheddaquarium.org/ticketprices.html

"Free" days only covers general admission, which they don't allow you to buy ahead of time at any time of year. You must do your penance and wait if you only want the general admission ticket :glare:

The Monterrey Bay Aquarium charges similar prices and is completely worth it. I always figured that caring for the animals and the Aquarium research missions were super expensive and that they probably weren't clearing much or any profit especially in this economy when foundation money and big gifts are harder to get. I haven't been to Shedd in nearly 10 years so I don't know if it is the same.

Christine W

General AdmissionIncludes access to the Caribbean Reef, Waters of the World and Amazon Rising exhibits.

Does not include: Wild Reef, Abbott Oceanarium, Polar Play Zone, Jellies special exhibit, aquatic show tickets or 4-D Experience tickets. Jellies and the aquatic show cannot be added to the General Admission ticket.

spacer.gifAdults $8 spacer.gif

onsite

tickets_150dashedline.gifChildren $6

----------------- Purchase at Shedd box office, not available online.

onsite

Ah, well, somehow I missed this on their site when I last looked. Hmmm, I particularly dislike not being able to add Jellies or the Aquatic show unless I want to buy the next level pass, at about $20 more pp. What if all I really wanted to see was Jellies? :001_rolleyes: It isn't, BTW, I'm just in *that* mood. ;) Hmm, I'll have to show this to DD. Aside from Jellies, I didn't see much that we'd "just die" without doing. The Polar Play area appears to be for toddlers/PreK, judging from the pics, and YDS and I can't do 4D (or even 3D) well without getting a headache LOL Wild Reef and the Oceanarium might be interesting....I don't know. We'll see. I probably WON'T bother with the free day. I'd pay $32 for us to see the basic stuff, I'd have to see how badly everyone wanted to see the others to pay $97.80.

I get the whole upkeep thing, but I've known other aquariums that were a bit less expensive and still very nice.

The $8 general admission to the Shedd is a bit of a secret. Last time we were there, it wasn't listed on the price list, but if you asked for it, they'd sell you the general admission ticket. Folks we talked to who paid extra (a LOT extra) for the show said that it was incredibly cheesy and very disappointing.