Menu

New idea for next school year: Kids' choice

sassenach

I've been thinking through next school year and I would love to bounce my latest idea off you all. I'd like to take an hour a day and make it a kid's choice hour. Possible options would be:

Languages :Spanish (mango), Latin (lively latin), Greek (Alphabet code cracker)

Draw and write through history

typing

math games

logic puzzles

art (appreciation, doing crafts, ect- we have meet the masters)

science or history projects

unit studies (I have a bunch that I've collected over the years)

music study

extra reading

Guidelines that I've come up with so far:

screen time max 1/2hr a day

1 written work a week minimum

I'm hoping this can be an interest led part of our day that might spark more self led learning. I will be available to them (math game partner, help with a project, ect), but not directing things. I will probably use some unschooling techniques like strewing. I think this would fit the 1-2pm slot nicely.

Thoughts, ideas?

I think it's a great idea! We do something similar. Every couple of weeks or so, I'll ask my 2nd grader what she would like to learn more about and delve into it deeply. For example, right now we are doing a unit study on hermit crabs because they came home with some from the beach. She is doing some research/reading on her on, I checked out several read alouds for her and her brother, and we will be doing a lapbook. Many of the topics she chooses are science related, but sometimes she picks art projects, stories to write, etc. I'm a big proponent of letting them go with their interests! Good luck and have fun :)

One thing we do is the kids always pick a non-fiction book we work on. (or two) We then listen to a chapter or more a day and see if it takes us anywhere.

Right now we are doing:

The Burgess Bird book (audio from Librivox)

The Burgess Seashore book (no audio)

My rule is one of the non-fiction books on the go has to be audio. The second one I don't care.

After the chapter we might watch a youtube video. I then offer to look up books in the library, trips to various places (if applicable)

Some we are thinking of doing next are:

Mathematicians are People, Too

The Stories of Inventors

I have searched through Librivox for non-fiction books and might be looking into are: (Please note, I have only glanced at these making a list of books to look at later)

The Darn of Canadian History: A Chronicle of Aboriginal Canada

A Thousand Miles up the Nile

The Spell of Egypt

Peter the Great

Famous Men of the Middle Ages

Famous Men of Rome

The Stories of Inventors

The Early History of the Airplane

The Story of the Pony Express

The Chemical History of a Candle

Our Island Story

Robinson Crusoe written anew for children

The Story of Mankind

Fifty Famous Stories Retold

The Book of Art for Young People

Royal Children of English History

I like the fact it adds something easy to our day, and it doesn't last forever. Once we are done a book we can then pick a book on any other subject of interest.

This sounds great. One question: Will you also schedule these subjects or is this the only way they will be covered?

Liz

For some yes, for others no. For example, we will definitely do science and history activities outside of this. However, foreign languages aren't a high priority for me next year, so this would be the only way they would get those.

I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. I might even give that a try myself!

My only issue is that I have found much of the time I end up having to finish our projects because my two 6.5 YO sons lose interest before we are finished.

But I like the idea of setting aside an hour, giving them a list of choices and using that hour as interest led studying. Hmmmm. I'll have to put some thought into this. Thanks for the idea!:001_smile: