Menu

Rod & Staff or CLE?

It's early, but I have 10 minutes alone and would like feedback on choosing R&S or CLE? This would be for 1st & 6th? We have used R & S in the past and been happy with it, I love how simple, sweet the lessons are. I love the solid LA program, even like their Math.

But I picked up CLE's 1st & 6th gr reading yesterday at our local curriculum sale, and it looks great. Reading and Math were the subjects I was planning on using R & S for, but got the CLE at a great price. Is it as solid, as enjoyable as R & S? Is it worse, better? What about math?

Honestly, I don't think that either is better or worse. I like them both very much. The only reason I do not heavily consider CLE for an older child is the items are mostly disposable and numerous. There are several workbooks or light units for a subject. I don't like this. I prefer digital content and hardback books for an older student. For the younger, I doubt that they even notice yet. :)

Truly, it is not scope but more usability and preference that should guide you. Both seem to be very good with meeting general educational standards nationally, or even exceeding them. Go with what you think your DC will love and learn with the best.

Growing up attending an elementary school that used ACE paces, my first reaction is to repel workbooks! However, after reading about CLE here, and giving their math a try first, I'm sold on them (CLE's, that is -- no other workbook company)!

The math is a strong, traditional program. My kids love the convenience of writing in a workbook instead of having to recopy problems to paper, and they are motivated by finishing a workbook and getting a new one after a test! I like their flash card system in the younger levels, and then the mastery drills for memorizing and keeping formulas, conversions, etc. fresh as they get older.

After a successful year with CLE Math, we gave their LA a try. It seems like a workbook version of R&S -- both are strong, contain diagramming, etc. Another plus for me is that the CLE LA includes spelling & penmanship, along with the grammar. I much prefer having these 3 combined instead of having separate books or programs for each! We've always used a separate composition curriculum, even with all our years with R&S grammar.

Overall, I think they are more similar than different, so choose the format you prefer -- workbook or text.

We've tried CLE reading too & consider it a good program. When I used it for my older kids, it ended up getting dropped part way through the year because I was really adding it on top of plenty of literature. However, I think it will work well to use with my 2nd grader next year.

HTH some!

I hesitate to say how much I love CLE math, because people are probably getting tired of hearing me talk about it! :001_wub:

I, too, have been trying to decided between R&S or CLE LA. I had pretty much decided on R&S, but my children enjoy CLE math so much that I am still on the fence.