Menu

Advice, please: grass-fed beef newbie!

We're CSA members at a local farm for produce, and they have 3 grass-fed cows (3/4 Angus & 1/4 Brahma) that they are offering. They are grass-fed their whole lives and are never given antibiotics or hormones. The farmer plants specific grasses for them, etc.

So....what do we need to know? I've been googling and reading, but these are mostly written by sellers. If we're used to grocery store beef, what changes will we notice?

Also, for comparison, what does grass-fed end up costing you per pound for the beef you take home? He thought this would come out to about $7 a pound in the end (to buy one side). I wonder if this is higher than in other states -- Texas had a drought last year.

We buy grass fed/grass finished beef from Paidom. They are by Lubbock, Texas. Every two months he makes a trip around Texas delivering meat. We usually buy half a cow or several variety packs from him each time. When we buy a half it is $4.70/lbs. The variety packs are $5.00/lbs. He does charge $20.00/box for delivery to pay for his time and fuel for making the deliveries.

We love the meat, it tastes so much better than grocery store beef. The only thing that we really noticed is that the grass fed beef is leaner, so you don't want to cook it too done.

You can check out his website at www.paidom.com

$7 per pound is high. It was running $4 a pound if you bought a share of a cow last year (in central TX)...sometimes $4.50 or $5. I could see the drought driving up prices some. I know of some people who were slaughtering early to cut their losses. But $7? That's high.

It is MUCH better for you! We just had grass fed tacos tonight. :D Yum!

$7 sounds pretty high to me. I am in SD and have been purchasing grass fed beef now for several years. I pay $2.70 a # hanging weight and think it works out to about $4. I purchase the whole beef. We love it. It is leaner but not to lean and the last one we purchase has been so tender.

I would do a bit of shopping around.

We buy grass fed/grass finished beef from Paidom. They are by Lubbock, Texas. Every two months he makes a trip around Texas delivering meat. We usually buy half a cow or several variety packs from him each time. When we buy a half it is $4.70/lbs. The variety packs are $5.00/lbs. He does charge $20.00/box for delivery to pay for his time and fuel for making the deliveries.

We love the meat, it tastes so much better than grocery store beef. The only thing that we really noticed is that the grass fed beef is leaner, so you don't want to cook it too done.

Thank you for this information! The site doesn't have a way to contact them with questions. Do you know of a way?

(If we bought less, such as a "variety pack," we could skip buying a freezer for the garage too!)

Also, do you know when the next trip through TX will be?

I am new to the bulk cow purchases.. I honestly never heard of buying "half a cow" etc until this board. Now, it is common around here for me to hear about someone hunting a deer and having it processed and having enough meat for the year, etc.... any who... interesting topic :) My family eats enough beef to consider a freezer and a stock load :)

We pay around $5/lb in Ohio. We pay the farm and the processor separately so the price/lb varies a bit each time.

If you like that farm you could always tell them you've asked around and have seen lower prices, but you'd really prefer to go with them, and could they come down? Compared to health food stores it's a better price, but compared to other bulk beef it seems high. They might be able to get that much, though, who knows.

Amy

Just thought of one other thing--can you get a sample beforehand? I've bought bulk grassfed beef from 2 farms, and vastly prefer the flavor of one of them. The other tasted really fishy. :tongue_smilie: I like the flavor of grassfed, so it wasn't just that. We buy a half beef at a time--before investing that much dough I like to be sure I've enjoyed that particular farm's beef before.

Amy

The next Texas swing is mid-July, I believe; deliveries are bimonthly. Email carnivore@paidom.com to get on the email list and to ask any questions you may have. Alan and his family are terrific, and I won't purchase beef, pork, or lamb anywhere else. :001_smile:

Sorry, didn't see the post anymore. But Mamagistra is right. The next delivery is mid July. We just bought half a cow last month. Will probably buy some variety packs on the next trip plus some whole chickens. He is suppose to have chickens then, he has been out all winter.

Alan is a very nice guy and they do business with a handshake. I hope to never have to buy meat from anyone else.

Just thought of one other thing--can you get a sample beforehand? I've bought bulk grassfed beef from 2 farms, and vastly prefer the flavor of one of them. The other tasted really fishy. :tongue_smilie: I like the flavor of grassfed, so it wasn't just that. We buy a half beef at a time--before investing that much dough I like to be sure I've enjoyed that particular farm's beef before.

Amy

You can order and have shipped individual cuts that you want to try. He will ship it to you, but it isn't cheap to do that.

If you were anywhere near Houston, I would gladly give you some meat to try.

I have never had any of his meat taste fishy. There is an occasional difference in taste depending on what grass the cow has eaten. But not anything severe.