Menu

1600-1850 / SOTW 3 Schedule? Anyone want to share?

DarcyM

I am about to coordinate SOTW 3, a bit more American History with the LOAD of lit, bios, historical fiction and fact books I've been collecting for this year.

But, if you've done something like this with your own books and resources, I'd love to see it!

I've already done this for SOTW 2 - the link can be found in the left sidebar on my blog. I'd like to do something just like it for SOTW 3 and American History. And I think my friend, Jennefer from Smooth Stones, did something similar for SOTW 1. Soooo... who's got 3???

Incidentally - what spines do you use for this time period?

Thanks, in advance!

I'm curious to see what responses you get! We're doing STOW 3 with more American History blended in too. I'm currently working on a schedule to mix Los Banos, some SL lit and STOW together. I'm hoping I can fit all of STOW 3 in this year with the mix.

I know Paula's Archive has some charts that put STOW 3 and Hakim's US History together. I'm still looking for a good spine. I just ordered Rainbow Book of American History and am thinking of getting the CLP History texts too. I think Hakim is a bit over my boys' heads right now.

Thanks Beth! It was perfect! Your hard work was fantastic!

Re Biblioplan - I like the *idea* of Biblioplan, but their church history choices wouldn't work for my family. I'd end up customizing anyway. But gosh, for the families who are comfortable with their version of church history - what a great resource to have everything all assembled and planned for them!

Has anyone tried these resources?

(1.) America The Last Best Hope, Volume One -From the Age of Discovery to a World at War, 1492-1914 by Wm J. Bennett

(2.) The American Reader: Words That Moved a Nation edited by Diane Ravitch - a historical anthology of Americans speaking their minds contains more than 200 poems, speeches, songs, letters, and other expressions arranged in chronological order.

(3.) The Reader's Guide to American History by Kathy Artner: This is an excellent outline for a living books approach to American history. The Reader's Guide to American History includes eight units covering America's pre-history through the present. Included in the guide:

-Reading Guide and Booklist for grades 3-8

-Basic Fact Sheets and Optional Activities

-Tips on How to Find Great Children's Books

-Poems and Songs for Each Historical Period

Thanks again for jumping in!

deciding on an American History spine. I don't like a lot of the books out there that cover the whole time period. It's easy to find a lot of good lit and non-fiction supplements for this time period, but searching for a good "spine" is driving me absolutely crazy! I guess I want it all done for me like Sonlight, but I don't like the Sonlight spines and do like only some of their other books. Winter Promise is too much hands-on - I just like an occassional activity.

I'm leaning towards "This Country of Ours" and/or Artner's Guide to American History, but I don't have a plan yet. Also considering Our Los Banos, which I think you or someone else already mentioned. I don't recall she uses SOTW 3 or not.

Looking forward to reading everyone's responses!

Blessings,

Sherri in MI

Hi

I've only got the first 10 weeks sorted out

1 Don Quixote SOTW CHAPTER 1

2 Pocahontas SOTW C6

3, 4 and 5 The English Civil War SOTW C12

including Cavaliers & Roundheads by Bob Moulder which is the best book I've found for a simple, chronological overview (plus it has stand up scenes:thumbup:)

and The Children of the New Forest by Frederick Marryat which is an excellent adventure story

6,7,8 The dutch, Vermeer and Rembrandt

9 Peraults fairy tales SOTW C13

10 Robinson Crusoe

This was a very patchy use of sotw, as it was based on WTM before sotw arrived. Our 2009 terms might be more consistent.

Regards,

Maria

We used History of the US last year when we lived in Boston for 3 months. DD7 and I really enjoyed the series. We plan to revisit them this year while doing SOTW3. I think it's a great compliment because it goes way more in depth and reads easily. Just thought I would share this. Also, as someone has already posted, there is a wonderful chart that synchronizes the two books. I'm hoping for a list of the books in the AG by chapter so I don't have to lug the huge book each week to the library as well as additional literature for my voracious reader.

Cheers!

Julie in Monterey

I am about to coordinate SOTW 3, a bit more American History with the LOAD of lit, bios, historical fiction and fact books I've been collecting for this year.

It's in the side bar of my blog (see siggy). I use This Country of Ours, plus a lot of books from Sonlight. There's lots of British history too, but you could ignore that if you wanted.

Laura

deciding on an American History spine. I don't like a lot of the books out there that cover the whole time period. It's easy to find a lot of good lit and non-fiction supplements for this time period, but searching for a good "spine" is driving me absolutely crazy!

Same here. That is why I stopped trying to get a spine to cover a whole time period. I just find non-fiction books that cover the specific event/time period we are covering for that particular week (or weeks). I feel that we get more in-depth coverage along with points of view from various authors instead of just one. I still use the KF and DK texts for an overview. :001_smile:

It's in the side bar of my blog (see siggy). I use This Country of Ours, plus a lot of books from Sonlight. There's lots of British history too, but you could ignore that if you wanted.

Laura

Laura -

Yes! Thanks! I found it and I'm adding it to my list of resources. Thanks so much for sharing. :)