Menu

Can anyone compare LLATL and Sonlight LA?

Marsha

I don't know how much this may (or may not) help...

I've just started the 2005 Sonlgiht LA 2: Reading with Easy Readers. I'm on lesson 7 of LLATL Yellow. They are very, very similar.

They both have copywork/dictation.

I like how Sonlight incorporates daily reading into the schedule. LLATL has Literature Links. About 4 a year. You spend a whole week on one book, doing different writing and grammar activities.

I am thinking that Sonlight LA 2 is perfect for my upcoming 2nd grader as a LLATL substitute. (The Red book assumes that they still need phonics instruction.)

I'm not good at "reviews" especially since I'm pretty new to both. Maybe someone else will see this??

I purchased LLATL last year for my 6 yo and 11 yo. I had the yellow and tan. The yellow was very simple. I found the lessons too easy for her...so we sold that before starting.

The tan was fine for 6th grade, but the copywork is a lot longer then SL.

This year we are using SL LA 4, LA1 and LA 2 int. I think the work is very nice. All have a nice intro to Copywork. It is based on the the readers not biblical. I think LLATL was all based on Religous statements or biblical versus. (Not bad...just a lot longer writing and older wording)

SL LA incorporates a lot of writing in my view. We did Abeka all year and they dont have much writing instruction. SL is very easy introduction all year long...not just chapter x, y and z.

I dont remember how LLATL was with writing so I cant compare that.

Our readers are really nice. I am really liking them. I think many are in LLATL as well...but just different grades.

I used LLATL Blue and some of SL's 1st grade LA this year. They cover similar material, but SL requires a lot more handwriting than LLATL. SL 2 (at least the older version I have) does have phonics via Explode the Code 4, 5 and 6. LLATL Red has more handwriting than LLATL Blue, but its still less than SL. SL has a lot of religious content in LA 2 (Bible reader) and LLATL Red is easily adapted to secular use. BUT, LLATL Yellow is chock full of bible verses, while SL LA 3 is easy to secularize.

The bottom line is that they're both based on Ruth Beechick. My personal impression is that LLATL is more "put together" since it uses its own readers far longer than SL does and adds in literature. I like having a coordinated TM and workbook. If I had to choose, I'd pick LLATL, but I don't have to choose. I can do LLATL as our main program and add in ETC and SL's readers (and Pathway readers) without overwhelming ds.

The bottom line is that they're both based on Ruth Beechick. My personal impression is that LLATL is more "put together" since it uses its own readers far longer than SL does and adds in literature. I like having a coordinated TM and workbook. If I had to choose, I'd pick LLATL, but I don't have to choose. I can do LLATL as our main program and add in ETC and SL's readers (and Pathway readers) without overwhelming ds.

:iagree: That is exactly what I *tried* to say... Thank You! :)