Menu

French and Art for a visual, fun-loving 7 yo?

I need to find an art program and a French program for my second grader for next year. I'd like these to be the subjects where we really have fun. He is extremely visual and likes cute, colorful materials, and I feel like for these supplemental subjects, I can try to accommodate that for him.

One more thing.. for the art, I'm looking for a program that is focused on *doing art,* not art appreciation.

My soon to be 6 year old dd will be doing these subjects with him, so I'm looking for something geared for 5-8 year olds.

Suggestions, please?

Erica

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=41011&event=1023SBF|34541|1023

Have you heard of Mrs. Woolevers Kids Can Draw?

My friends rave and rave about these.

I have not tried them and don't remember why~I think I heard about them after my older dc were too old.

If I can muster up the energy to try art with my little ones, this is definitely a contender.

eta: there are levels for grade K, 1 and 2.

Does the All About Art 3-pack just consists of three videos (or DVDs)? That $70+ price tag seems exceptionally high if that's the case!

Yes, it is high, I agree. However all the instruction is right in front of you on the DVD with someone teaching you and there are many lessons to learn. It is all geared to K-4. There are also free teacher's guides on their site for these videos. This review gives details as to what is on the videos. :) This is also helpful in describing how the lessons are done.

Thank you all for your ideas. I'm a bit surprised to see so many video-based recommendations. Not that there's anything wrong with those. I'm looking for something a bit simpler, though, for now, and less expensive. I really just want a book or two of simple art projects for ages 4-8. It shouldn't be too hard to find, I was just wondering if anyone here might have a tried and true favorite.

Erica

I think I've found an art resource close to what I was looking for: It's called The Usborne Complete Book of Art. This book is actually three books in one: The Usborne Book of Art Ideas, The Usborne Book of Art Skills, and the Usborne Book of Art Projects. It has color, step by step pictures of each activity, which ds will love, and the projects sound like fun. The reviews say there is a decent amount of art-related information as well to use for some basic teaching.

If you want to check it out, it's at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Complete-Book-Art-Ideas/dp/0794509002/ref=ed_oe_h

Now to find a French program!

Erica

Thank you all for your ideas. I'm a bit surprised to see so many video-based recommendations. Not that there's anything wrong with those. I'm looking for something a bit simpler, though, for now, and less expensive. I really just want a book or two of simple art projects for ages 4-8. It shouldn't be too hard to find, I was just wondering if anyone here might have a tried and true favorite.

Erica

I would check out the art and crafts sections at your library-both in the kids and adult section. We've found some great books there-but sometimes we really only do one or two projects from a book. Or something gives us another idea and we're off to the craft store for supplies.