Menu

Would I be nuts to

get rid of baby clothes when we move this fall?

We are moving this fall, likely into a smaller house with less storage. I currently have clothes from infant to 4T for boys and infant to 6 for girls. I'm considering getting rid of most of it.

DH and I both feel like the 4 kids we have are the "right" number for us. That being said, we are Catholic and will not use artificial birth control. We use NFP. We are being fairly cautious with it because our finances are already stretched too thin -- another child is not a good idea now.

So, I'm going back and forth with this. If I get rid of the clothes, is there a weird "you think you're done, so now you get pregnant" thing? If I get pregnant in a few years, will I regret having gotten rid of stuff? (My mother and MIL do buy lots of garage sale and clearance stuff for the kids.)

This is such a silly thing for me to be wasting brain cells on, but I just can't decide!

I've been reasoning this out myself. I have girl and boy clothes from infant to size 6. The baby girl clothes have been through two girls and most of them are now over 7 years old. We now have a new baby boy. So, even if I got pregnant in a couple years with a girl, the baby girl clothes I am saving would be almost 10 years old. Is it worth it to take up storage space with 10 year old onesies?

We live in an older home with very little storage space. And, now that we have 6 people in this house, it seems sort of ridiculous to take up space with outgrown clothes. But, I have used the older kids' clothes on the younger ones... so I hate to not have it if I need it again!

We also might be *done*, but I'm not gonna bet money on it...

I gave pretty much all dd's baby clothes away and we have been trying for another for quite some time! We didn't have room for all the boxes in our small place so they had to go. I figured if we had another we can just buy some more clothes.

Haha, don't you know giving away all your baby stuff means you're bound to get pregnant again?!!

Truly, give it away and let someone else be blessed by having it. When our little surprise came along, it was amazing watching the Lord supply all our needs.

Haha, don't you know giving away all your baby stuff means you're bound to get pregnant again?!!

Truly, give it away and let someone else be blessed by having it. When our little surprise came along, it was amazing watching the Lord supply all our needs.

:iagree:

Baby #5 is a result of NFP (fellow Catholic here!) and we gave EVERYTHING away last fall! His plans will always trump yours so best to save a few of your favourites just in case :001_smile:

Yeah . . . just read "this is . . . interesting" thread. NOT giving away baby stuff. I'll cull some, but . . . nope. I'm not tempting fate, so to speak.

The more I think about it, I can't, realistically, get rid of much anyway. I need girls stuff 2T and up and boys stuff 12 months and up. We have tons of coats, which take up a lot of room, so I should get rid of most of those. And there is no shortage of shoes around here either. I'd love to get rid of all my maternity clothes under the theory that I'll lose 100 pounds before my next pregnancy, but that's probably tempting fate too. If I lose the weight, I'll get rid of the stuff!

Now I have to move on to culling books before we move. :lol:

:iagree:

Baby #5 is a result of NFP (fellow Catholic here!) and we gave EVERYTHING away last fall! His plans will always trump yours so best to save a few of your favourites just in case :001_smile:

Overly personal question (feel free to not share) . . . was it a "think I'm not *really* fertile" or "no signs of fertility"? My youngest is one of the latter. I'm not certain he's a NFP method failure baby or even a "God will overcome" baby. But I really was careful. And God did know what was best . . . he is a wonderful baby and the older kids just adore him!

I don't mind answering here.

We were using the Clearplan Fertility Monitor in reverse. So it told us when I was low fertility, high fertility (usually 5 days pre-ovulation & 2 days post) or peak (ovulation). Obvioiusly we "avoided" each other during high & peak and yet somehow, here I am pregnant with Baby #5. I believe it is God answering DD's prayers from 2 years ago when she was praying faithfully for a baby sister and we had DS! Poor thing was absolutely devastated.......so in my heart of hearts - I think this is a girl and that God is giving her the baby sister she longed for.

The Clearplan monitor is actually an NFP method that is recommended in North America. In Europe, they have the Persona monitor which works on the same principle.

I've looked into Clearplan as well. We follow CCLI, which I like better since the revision. Right now Clearplan would be fairly useless because I'm still nursing and my hormones are all messed up. DS prayed for a brother about 2 months before we got pregnant with our second. He got two sisters and we were told twice the baby was a girl, only to find when he was delivered that he was certainly NOT a girl! DS was thrilled!