Menu

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

Hunter

What do you use the pangram, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy brown dog." for?

I'm going to use it for handwriting drills and assessments, but I'd like to widen out, and...I don't know... make the pangram into something my tutoring students can engage with on a deeper level.

We will use google images and look at artwork inspired by the pangram, and make our own art I guess, but I'm awfully vague about how I want to do that. We will also study pangrams in general.

I don't know...but I just have the feeling, that...there is SOMETHING here. Something to grab ahold of. Something like a mascot for my group, maybe. I'm realizing that handwriting is a BIG deal for my ladies, and it's going to be one of the biggest foci in the months to come. A picture is worth a thousand words. Just a funny poster hanging on the wall, makes the pangram come alive. I'd like to do more though.

f4254f22.gif23268_121187154587326_1696_n.jpg

Edited by Hunter

I've never seen it with "brown" repeated. Is that a variation?

I've seen:

The quick red fox jumps over the lazy brown dog.

and

A quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

I just noticed that the one in the poster doesn't have an "s" by using "jumped" instead of "jumps"!

It was traditionally used for typing practice, as you will hit almost every key typing it. We used this in my high school typing class as a warm up every day before we started our regular assignment (back in the Dark Ages, when we also had to learn shorthand :lol:). There wasn't anything "deep" about it. Just a typing exercise, from my understanding.

Oh, and that graphic is incorrect. It is "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". Using "jumped" eliminates the letter "s", and it is no longer a pangram.

Edited by DianeW88

You have a lowercase t in the. :001_smile:

I occasionally throw this sentence into our copywork as a quick way to make sure we haven't forgotten the more rarely used letters.

Oh, there it is! I thought I remembered a lowercase t. Thanks! I was starting to stress. Now I feel better :-)