Menu

dd throwing up in the morning

Over the last few weeks, my dd has thrown up immediately a few times after eating breakfast. The first time it was pancakes, which she loves, so I assumed she was eating too fast. The next time, oatmeal with blueberries, and today GF cereal with almond milk. The type of food doesn't seem to make any difference, and it's not how fast she's eating because she doesn't really like oatmeal or cereal.

She's never been one to enjoy eating in the morning, unless it's a favorite food, but because she's now in ps, she needs to have a bit of breakfast. Nothing else seems wrong with her. Not sure if I should take her to the doctor for this. What do you think?

I will yak inthe morning if my blood sugar gets too low in the night, then I consume high sugar things the next morning.

Guaranteed yak--low protein/high carb dinner like pizza then I eat pancakes for breakfast.

Try having a higher protein dinner with complex carbs like chicken and broccoli (no starches like corn or breads) then having eggs the next morning and some carbs like one piece of toast.

See if that helps.

Also try eating the protein later (like having some grilled chicken before bedtime to sustain her thoughout the night.

If this turns out to help, get a sugar meter and monitor her blood sugar for a while.

I did this for a while, as a kid. My stomach was (and sometimes still is :tongue_smilie:) just very weak in the morning. The thought of eating something like pancakes in the morning= :ack2:.

My mom was willing to try anything and what I ended up being able to keep down was things like spaghetti and mac and cheese. Obviously, there was some sort of carb connection for me. I also ended up eating those Carnation breakfast bars for a while.

I also did this as a kid/teenager. I had to eat supper for breakfast, as breakfast foods made me puke. Sometimes even supper foods would made me sick. To this day I can't eat breakfast first thing in the morning. It has to be an hour or two. DD is turning out the same way and I don't know how to get DH and his family to understand that pushing her only makes it worse.

My youngest has been in school this year and has thrown up once a week or so all year. It has been so strange. At first it was just once every couple of weeks and then it became a little more frequent. We thought it was a stomach bug going around (a lot) but by last month we started to worry. There was never a fever but the vomiting was terrible, it only last for a couple of hours and he would be fine.

We finally got him in to see a pediatric gastroenterologist this week. She feels that it is a classic case of cyclical vomiting syndrome. She asked if he cares much about the well being of others around him and if he feels his emotions, and those of others, very strongly. He does. She said it is a reaction to this and that it can grow into IBS, etc.

My son didn't even know he was tense or stressed in any way. He is the happiest darn kid we've ever seen and we have to older ones! He is officially out of school and we are homeschooling (decision made before the diagnosis, I'm leaving my job) next year. I am hoping that when he has to re-enter the world of lots of other emotions bombarding him, his body will have forgotten to react so violently. So far, no episodes this week!!! :D

This may not be your dd's issue but I had never heard of it and wish I had known it was a possibility. We are thrilled with the diagnosis, btw. This is one we can handle.

I can not eat breakfast in the morning. Have not been able to for 20 years because if I do I get sick. I find instead having a glass of water and then either juice or coffee helps (at her age I would stick with juice of course) If I wait for at least an hour after I get up I can eat just fine. But in the first hour means I will be bringing it back up.

ETA: I just saw that she is in ps so maybe send a granola bar and breakfast shake for her to have midmorning instead

Or see if she handles smooties/breakfast shakes in the morning instead of a meal.

Edited by swellmomma

This is about when my son developed his allergies. He's allergic to tree nuts- so almond milk would be a no-no for him, and many pancakes and oatmeal are processed in facilities with nuts. He always threw up, got glassy-eyed and pale, and then took a nap. No hives, no fevers, no trouble breathing- just throwing up. It took us a while to catch on.

It might not hurt to go ahead and get food allergy testing done, at minimum to have that to check off of your list. We found out then, while testing the whole family, that my daughter is highly allergic to peanuts, peas, aloe and conifers. She was 4 and we had no idea, she just avoided food that made her feel bad.

Has this been going on for a long time so you know it's not a mild stomach bug or something?

For my son this turned out to be blood sugar related. He was really low in the morning which left him nauseous I guess. How we handled it was giving him a little something to raise his blood sugar when he first woke and then waiting for breakfast. He has never and still doesn't eat well in the mornings but he doesn't generally throw up anymore.

I did want to mention that the pediatrician told me that morning vomiting can be a symptom of brain tumors. That would so rare of course! It's very likely blood sugar related.

If I was forced to eat first thing in the morning - especially anything sweet and carb loaded like pancakes, cereal, etc. I'd bring it back up, too. ;) I just can't do food for at least an hour and I prefer savory protein- eggs/sausage etc. My DS seems to be the same way - he's not a big breakfast eater, either.

Thanks for the replies.

She's not allergic to anything - I had her tested just last fall. So unless it happened really quickly, I don't think it's that.

I will start feeding her higher protein breakfasts (kind of tricky, as her brothers and I have egg and gluten intolerances), and see if that makes a difference. It does sound like it could be a symptom of something more troublesome, so I will take her to see the doc.

Thanks for the advice!

If I was forced to eat first thing in the morning - especially anything sweet and carb loaded like pancakes, cereal, etc. I'd bring it back up, too. ;) I just can't do food for at least an hour and I prefer savory protein- eggs/sausage etc. My DS seems to be the same way - he's not a big breakfast eater, either.

It's funny you mention the sweet and carb loaded, even once I get around to eating breakfast it is seldom breakfast food. I will eat eggs but often end up eating left overs from the night before, or tuna etc.

I am another one that cannot tolerate 'breakfast foods'. The smell of eggs in the morning gags me. Anything really starchy makes me sick. When I was in school my parents would let me eat leftovers or cans of soup for breakfast as a compromise. Or they would do things like bacon and toast sandwiches which I could tolerate way better than biscuits.

Interesting reading. I think I need to take dd to the doctor too. She's not actually been throwing up, but after breakfast EVERY morning, she complains that she feels like she has to throw up. Lately, she's been having stomach aches during the day. I don't know if it matters, but dd is tiny for her age.

I took milk out of her diet. No difference. I think I"ll try on getting more protein in her right before bed and again as she wakes up.

Interesting anyway.

Sorry for this minor derailment, but this has been such an interesting thread to read. I had never met anyone else that ate dinner for breakfast due to nausea. I mentioned that I ate spaghetti and mac and cheese, but others mentioned soup, and I remembered that I had also had soup.

I hope it's nothing and your daughter is just joining our club of "Breakfast? Um, no thanks" people.

I remember getting lightheaded and nauseous after high-carb breakfasts (cereal, toast, etc.) when I was prepubescent and during my early to mid-teen years. I never did throw up; I was more prone to passing out. My son is developing this trait now, so I have to watch him closely. I suspect he'll grow out of it but you never know, and I'm going to mention it to the doctor when we go in for a check on Wednesday.

Also, could it be anxiety-related? My daughter is psychosomatic and will vomit if she's mentally worked up about something. I hope that's not it, but I wanted to throw it out there at least.

My youngest has been in school this year and has thrown up once a week or so all year. It has been so strange. At first it was just once every couple of weeks and then it became a little more frequent. We thought it was a stomach bug going around (a lot) but by last month we started to worry. There was never a fever but the vomiting was terrible, it only last for a couple of hours and he would be fine.

We finally got him in to see a pediatric gastroenterologist this week. She feels that it is a classic case of cyclical vomiting syndrome. She asked if he cares much about the well being of others around him and if he feels his emotions, and those of others, very strongly. He does. She said it is a reaction to this and that it can grow into IBS, etc.

My son didn't even know he was tense or stressed in any way. He is the happiest darn kid we've ever seen and we have to older ones! He is officially out of school and we are homeschooling (decision made before the diagnosis, I'm leaving my job) next year. I am hoping that when he has to re-enter the world of lots of other emotions bombarding him, his body will have forgotten to react so violently. So far, no episodes this week!!! :D

This may not be your dd's issue but I had never heard of it and wish I had known it was a possibility. We are thrilled with the diagnosis, btw. This is one we can handle.

This is the same thing my dd 6 has been diagnosed with.

Could it possibly be acid reflux? Its usually worse after getting up in the morning and eating. I have reflux and skipped breakfast most mornings in fear of throwing up because it would make me sick to my stomach. I got it under control but I still can't eat right when I wake up.

I still cannot eat breakfast... I have something to drink. Juice, tea etc.. I then wait 3-4 hours before eating, and by then it's lunch time. I dont mind skipping breakfast. If I want breakfast food, I'll fix it for dinner lol.