Menu

California peeps: Mandatory kindergarten looms ahead...

It is very frustrating. The state of CA is not trying to infringe on the rights of hsers with this bill, as i read it. There are no sound bites coming from CA politicians challenging the federal right to hs. And I am just repeating myself.

Rad the HSLDA Urgent Action Alert (or whatever they call it) and then read the proposed bill, and it is clear the HSLDA creates a deliberate misimpression of what is actually in the bill. Anyone can read the two side by side and see the deliberate distortions created by the HSLDA. They do it all the time.

It is not new. They cry "wolf."

Bill

Edited by LibraryLover

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very frustrating. The state of CA is not trying to infringe on the rights of hsers with this bill, as i read it. There are no sound bites coming from CA politicians challenging the federal right to hs. And I am just repeating myself.

People aren't running around screaming that this is going to make it illegal to homeschool. They are pointing out that it this passes in its current form, it will be far more difficult to comply with the regulations. Since this isn't in its final form yet, wouldn't now be a good time to bring that fact to everyone's attention so that it could be modified in some way? Maybe people want to make sure there are exemptions for schools serving less than a certain number of students, since independent homeschoolers are technically private schools in that state.

I see a lot of people asking what other things this may affect. I don't see a bunch of people claiming that this is going to make it illegal to homeschool. You seem to be the main individual discussing that. In fact, what you are discussing seems to be a tangent that no one else is on. Maybe that's why you feel like you aren't getting through to anyone. You aren't talking about the same thing.

People aren't running around screaming that this is going to make it illegal to homeschool. They are pointing out that it this passes in its current form, it will be far more difficult to comply with the regulations. Since this isn't in its final form yet, wouldn't now be a good time to bring that fact to everyone's attention so that it could be modified in some way? Maybe people want to make sure there are exemptions for schools serving less than a certain number of students, since independent homeschoolers are technically private schools in that state.

I see a lot of people asking what other things this may affect. I don't see a bunch of people claiming that this is going to make it illegal to homeschool. You seem to be the main individual discussing that. In fact, what you are discussing seems to be a tangent that no one else is on. Maybe that's why you feel like you aren't getting through to anyone. You aren't talking about the same thing.

:iagree:

People aren't running around screaming that this is going to make it illegal to homeschool.

That's not true, here is the HSLDA fear-mongering in their own words:

Our parental rights and home school freedoms in California are under

attack in an unprecedented way this year. Your help is key to the

defense of our freedoms; so it is critical that you read every alert

and take the suggested action in each one ASAP. Quickly pass these

alerts on to others who might respond.

Bill

You're correct that the state is not trying to infringe on the rights of hsers. The issue is that CA is lowering compulsory school age. Many people disagree with lowering the compulsory school age, because that officially extends state control over education.

For homeschoolers, it just means that they have to be in compliance with compulsory ed. requirements a year earlie than before.

It is not "tacky", the HSLDA flat out lies. They do it over and over. How many threads have their been on this forum as a result of Urgent Scare-Alerts from the HSLDA, that (once examined for the actual facts) have proved to be based on comle misrepresentations and distortions of the truth? A lot!

This is their M.O. They do it cynically to whip up anger and to keep the $$$ flowing in. But people on on to them, and on to their agendas that have nothing to do with home-schooling.

This is just one more time (and it is typical) that the HSLDA did not tell it like is. And it worked, as we can see from pages and pages of angry replies in this thread. Then the truth of the actual bill comes out and—surprise—it bears little similarity to the fiction presented my the HSLDA.

Can I presume this thread was triggered by an HSLDA Ungent Action Alert? Or no.

Bill

I have not been a member of HSLDA for many years now, because my children are all grown up. So, no, this was not a result of an HSLDA action alert.

You lower my opinion of you by your accusations against HSLDA. I'm really sorry to say that, because I respect your opinion about many things. But this vitriol is really unwarrented and over the top. That other people also feel negatively about HSLDA is irrelevant.

That's not true, here is the HSLDA fear-mongering in their own words:

Our parental rights and home school freedoms in California are under

attack in an unprecedented way this year. Your help is key to the

defense of our freedoms; so it is critical that you read every alert

and take the suggested action in each one ASAP. Quickly pass these

alerts on to others who might respond.

Bill

I was referring to the thread in which this discussion is taking place. A few people have outlined how this may potentially affect their ability to homeschool because of the extra regulations applied to Kindergarten. They haven't seemed particularly hyperbolic to me.

You and LibraryLover and others disliking HSLDA and their statements doesn't eliminate the concern stemming from the actual legislation. I'm not crazy about HSLDA myself, but HSLDA's statements aren't what the conversation has been about. People are saying that apparently the current form of this would greatly increase regulations on private schools (including homeschoolers registered as such). Do you or LibraryLover see something that indicates otherwise? If so, I'm sure a lot of members in California would be greatly relieved.

I have not been a member of HSLDA for many years now, because my children are all grown up. So, no, this was not a result of an HSLDA action alert.

You lower my opinion of you by your accusations against HSLDA. I'm really sorry to say that, because I respect your opinion about many things. But this vitriol is really unwarrented and over the top. That other people also feel negatively about HSLDA is irrelevant.

I think if you looked into the scare-tactics used by the HSLDA and their duplicity in misrepresenting the facts of cases as their standard operating procedure, then your estimation of me would be impacted favorably.

There have been multiple threads on this forum where the HSLDA "version" has been shown to be clearly false, distorted, and misrepresentations of the facts.

I don't like being lied to, who would?

Bill

I think if you looked into the scare-tactics used by the HSLDA and their duplicity in misrepresenting the facts of cases as their standard operating procedure, then your estimation of me would be impacted favorably.

There have been multiple threads on this forum where the HSLDA "version" has been shown to be clearly false, distorted, and misrepresentations of the facts.

I don't like being lied to, who would?

Bill

This thread has never been about something HSLDA said. I think some people have brought up valid concerns.You blow off their concerns by blaming "HSLDA scare tactics" instead of looking at what has been said and offering a reason why their concerns are not valid.

A helpful comment would be one that would show where the concerns about extra regulations are wrong. It has been said that those with concerns would happily be proven wrong on this point, but you have not attempted to do that.

I've homeschooled in CA for my kids' entire education. They are to old for us to be directly effected by this legislation, but if they were younger, this is what I would do:

I would go "under the radar" for K. Teach my child K (whatever that means) before compulsory schooling age and then when they are of mandatory age I would start filing. That's sort of what we did, anyway. I know that doesn't fulfill the letter of the law, but I doubt anyone will come after you....

I do understand what you are saying, though, about the law. I doubt it will take long for this to be sorted out, as it would be horribly impractical for many private schools, home or otherwise.

California will not make it illegal to homeschool. This state cannot afford to educate the children that are already enrolled in school. I think as much as they hate it, the politicians have an idea the impact on schools if all the homeschoolers flooded into public schools. Right now, I pay my taxes, they get my $ but my kids aren't taking up space in my local school. I may be completely off base, but that's my theory as to why, in this nanny-state we live in, it is pretty easy to homeschool.

I spoke to my fil today about this bill and the concerns it raises. (Trying to say this in a way that keeps it non-political.) He thinks that even if something like this passes the house that the Governor will turn it down because he is trying to cut the budget and adding more kids/teachers/schools/bureaucracy is contrary to that.

This does not mean that I think that it should not be talked about and, if necessary, fought. Even if it never passes it could still put the idea "out there" for others to try. But it's nice to think that this has a good chance of not happening. :001_smile: