Menu

Logic Stage Chemistry curriculum ideas?

I have a 7th grader who LOVES science and I'm looking for a chemistry curriculum, or at least something a little more structured than what is recommended in TWTM. I've ruled out Apologia and RS4K for various reasons, and I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for other programs I should look into???

I will be using the ACS chemistry and adding in some TOPS Science units if we get through it too quickly. I also have Ellen McHenry’s Carbon Chemistry in reserve. However, I think just ACS will be fine. I would be very happy to save Carbon Chemistry for our next run at biology.

Thank you all for the ideas so far. NOEO looks a little too basic for my ds. I did actually come across the ACS program before posting my initial thread and I have that bookmarked as a possible guide to follow. The paradigm program looks like it has potential, as long as we supplement it with labs, etc. I've checked out the Holt high school program too but I'm not sure that's what we're looking for. Keep the thoughts coming! :)

Thank you all for the ideas so far. NOEO looks a little too basic for my ds. I did actually come across the ACS program before posting my initial thread and I have that bookmarked as a possible guide to follow. The paradigm program looks like it has potential, as long as we supplement it with labs, etc. I've checked out the Holt high school program too but I'm not sure that's what we're looking for. Keep the thoughts coming! :)

Which Chemistry did you look at? There are a few levels. They now have a Chem istry III, in case you didn't see it. If you did, and that is too basic, not sure what else to advise at this point :)

DD did Ellen McHenry's two chem programs the first time through the cycle and they are excellent. The next time through, I am leaning towards Suchocki's Conceptual Chemistry. There is also the new Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry, which looks intriguing.

This looks great! Do you remember where you saw the schedules?

TIA

There was a lady trying to get people to help write a schedule. I resurrected the thread. It is in the K-8 forum.

I think I saw the schedules on a secular homeschool forum. Let me see if I can find it but I can't promise anything.

Well, I'm on overkill (cough, cough) for science for my 7th and 8th graders. We've got Noeo Physics III and Chem III, Advanced Chemistry and I've ordered both years of Rainbow Science.

We won't be doing the dissection part of RS, so that will save some time. RS looks to be very independent, so I'll have them do that mostly on their own. We do Noeo like Sonlight, where I read the books and often help with the experiments - but they don't notebook since that made them dread science when we started hsing. Advanced Chemistry will be our 'as we have time' chem. I think - unless the dc really get into it. I *love* the tasty experiments :D.

We are covering chemistry next year with my 4th and 6th graders. I will use Mr. Q's elementary chemistry and The Elements. I think these curricula compliment each other nicely. I think this applies to your child because it seems rather meaty. I am frankly worried about my 4th grader keeping up. We considered Mr. Q's advanced chemistry, but it has a prerequisite of pre-algebra which is definitely beyond my 4th grader and also we haven't covered chemistry before.

Something to consider, anyway