Menu

Athena's Advanced Academy registration is open...

I love the concept but it just doesn't look like anything is the right level for us, and it seems to be primarily language based rather than our project based style. I do wish I could find more opportunities for ds to work with others on projects or in a lab though.

Application here.

I've been emailing Headmistress Athena (Kirsten) and she seems wonderful. I registered dd9 for Mythology and World Geography on Wednesday mornings.

I registered dd7 for Beast.

Anyone else signing up today?

:bigear:

I just responded to the other thread, but I see that you will still go ahead with Mythology. I think that's what we would like too.

I'm not sure about Beast however.

I just enrolled my dd7 in World Geography on Wednesdays. I wish the BA class would work for us, but I'm driving a toddler to her Montessori at that time. Let us know what you think of it. If it is very good, maybe I'll arrange to put the tot on a city bus. Joking, of course.

Here's a reply from Kirsten for those interested in the format.

Thank you for writing.* Mythology is probably the most popular class at Athena's to enter the online learning world. :-)* In that class, we prep for the National Mythology Exam.

There are two parts to the "class":

The classroom: located at the Athena's website is where students go to view and complete assignments in an asynchronous manner.* They are able to log in whenever they want to complete the work that is listed.* It is here where they will have threaded discussions with each other as well.

The webinar room: located through a separate URL, this is the room where students will enter to attend synchronous classes at a set time.* The webinar is like a live online conference where the students see a whiteboard that will have posted information as I teach/communicate.* Teachers and students use audio and text-chat to communicate with each other.

Let me know if you have any further questions.*

Best,

Kirsten Stein

a.k.a. Headmistress Athena

Are you sure on the time zone shift? I'm in central, and 9:00 PST is 11:00 CST, and I thought Texas was mostly central time as well.

I registered my DD7 for the mythology one. She wants to take the NME this year, and I think she'll enjoy this. We've never done an online course before, and this seems like a good opportunity to get her feet wet.

My oldest DS has taken 7 classes at Athena's & OnlineG3, and we have been happy with ALL of them! :) I wrote more about it on the other thread.

The times listed on their website are California time, so a 9 AM class is actually a 12 noon class for me on the east coast, and I believe 11 AM in Texas.

My 2nd DS is currently signed up for the Beast Academy class, but we have a schedule conflict with Tuesdays. I am hoping she adds another section on Monday at 9 AM (if that would work for anyone else, please e-mail her and let her know, perhaps if enough people beg she will consider), but if not then he will just watch the recording of the class and do the assignments and discussion forums.

Are you sure on the time zone shift? I'm in central, and 9:00 PST is 11:00 CST, and I thought Texas was mostly central time as well.

I registered my DD7 for the mythology one. She wants to take the NME this year, and I think she'll enjoy this. We've never done an online course before, and this seems like a good opportunity to get her feet wet.

Nope! That's what I get for trying to think to hard while I was sick with this horrible reaction I am having to the tetanus shot I had to get Tuesday. Now I'm excited and will talk to dh about signing dd up. I think she will love it. She is a like an encyclopedia of mythology facts already and I know she will love it. Thanks for pointing out mistake. It has been a rough week and I clearly don't have my stuff together.

A word of warning: if your kid hasn't had outside or online classes before, you may want to start with one or MAYBE 2 classes. In addition to the class time, there are a couple of hours worth of assignments, many of which required my DS to learn how to do something new. For example: when he took the MCT Town class, he had to create a cartoon to show the vocabulary words, and the same week in the history class he had to use a different website to create a trading card of an explorer (online research, image search, learn to use the website, create the card, edit the card, etc). It seemed like almost every week there was something new he needed to learn to do the assignment, and he quickly got overwhelmed. He was 8 at the time, and in addition to the 2 online classes he had 2 co-op classes and 2 weekly educational clubs (all 6 of which required work outside of class) -- basically there was NO time for any other school work that semester besides homework for outside obligations. We both learned our lesson about outside commitments, LOL!

This may not be an issue for some kids -- just something to consider, especially for younger kids.

A word of warning: if your kid hasn't had outside or online classes before, you may want to start with one or MAYBE 2 classes. In addition to the class time, there are a couple of hours worth of assignments, many of which required my DS to learn how to do something new. For example: when he took the MCT Town class, he had to create a cartoon to show the vocabulary words, and the same week in the history class he had to use a different website to create a trading card of an explorer (online research, image search, learn to use the website, create the card, edit the card, etc). It seemed like almost every week there was something new he needed to learn to do the assignment, and he quickly got overwhelmed. He was 8 at the time, and in addition to the 2 online classes he had 2 co-op classes and 2 weekly educational clubs (all 6 of which required work outside of class) -- basically there was NO time for any other school work that semester besides homework for outside obligations. We both learned our lesson about outside commitments, LOL!

This may not be an issue for some kids -- just something to consider, especially for younger kids.

Are you referring to Online G3 classes? Kirsten from Athena's told me that the homework load per class is up to parents as many projects are optional. I am expecting a heavy workload for dd9 with her online classes.

Colleen, thanks, that is a good warning. I can see how it would overwhelm a younger student especially to dive into too many.

I didn't get the chance to talk with DS today, hoping to tomorrow. I'm still leaning toward mythology... if we do that, we might stop there, or we may try the every-other-week book club.