Menu

Probably not the right board, but... college level remedial grammar textbook???

Dh has been asked to teach a remedial English grammar (and composition??) class at a small private college that is just getting started in our area. He is supposed to select a textbook for the class, but he doesn't know where to look. Any suggestions?

My sister teaches this class at the University in Indiana. She saw the Rod & Staff English 3 book I was using with my kids and she was intrigued. She said it would be a great book for her remedial grammar class at the University.

I would start there.

Dh has been asked to teach a remedial English grammar (and composition??) class at a small private college that is just getting started in our area. He is supposed to select a textbook for the class, but he doesn't know where to look. Any suggestions?

I teach composition at the local CC. In our remedial classes we use College Writing Skills with Readings (8th ed.) by John Langan and published by McGraw Hill. ISBN-13: 978-0-07-337166-5 (student) or ISBN: 978-0-07-734888-5 (instructor). It has a decent section on grammar, usage, and mechanics skills, and I also supplement with sentence diagramming and "daily oral language" type activities. The composition sections move from working on the parts of an essay (thesis, body paragraphs, unity, coherence, etc.) to developing various kinds of essays (narrative, descriptive, research, etc.). There is also a set of readings that are keyed to the various kinds of essays. The readings include comprehension and vocabulary questions, questions about the structure and style of the selection, critical reading and discussion questions, and related writing assignments.

I hope this is helpful information. I'd be happy to answer any more questions you and your husband have.

I teach composition at the local CC. In our remedial classes we use College Writing Skills with Readings (8th ed.) by John Langan and published by McGraw Hill. ISBN-13: 978-0-07-337166-5 (student) or ISBN: 978-0-07-734888-5 (instructor). It has a decent section on grammar, usage, and mechanics skills, and I also supplement with sentence diagramming and "daily oral language" type activities. The composition sections move from working on the parts of an essay (thesis, body paragraphs, unity, coherence, etc.) to developing various kinds of essays (narrative, descriptive, research, etc.). There is also a set of readings that are keyed to the various kinds of essays. The readings include comprehension and vocabulary questions, questions about the structure and style of the selection, critical reading and discussion questions, and related writing assignments.

I hope this is helpful information. I'd be happy to answer any more questions you and your husband have.

Thank you for this! I'll pass it along to dh. It does sound like just the thing for his class.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this in hopes of getting more responses. Dh has already looked at R&S and would prefer to use something that is actually directed toward adults, and the McGraw-Hill book that teachaheart mentioned is just going to be too expensive for them.

Edited by ereks mom

How about Analytical Grammar? It doesn't assume too much advance knowledge. It teaches parts of speech, diagramming, parsing, etc.

http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/

I think it sounds like just the thing for them. Do you also like Robin Finley's essay writing mateirals? I just realized I forgot to mention that the class is also supposed to cover the basics of essay writing also.

He can call or email the publishers and tell them exactly what he's looking for, and they'll send him desk copies of those that might work for him for free. Bedford/St. Martin's it the publisher I most often use, but there are several others.

I think it sounds like just the thing for them. Do you also like Robin Finley's essay writing mateirals? I just realized I forgot to mention that the class is also supposed to cover the basics of essay writing also.

I do like those as well. And they are geared more toward a classroom situation, so it should work in that setting.